ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>Alien: Romulus
Hammock Parties 10:12 AM 03-20-2024
Looks fine. Aliens doing shit. Hordes of facehuggers. IN.

[Reply]
Munson 06:00 PM 06-06-2024

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 06:37 PM 06-06-2024
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Alien is not woke because women are specifically lumped in with all the men as incompetent victims in every film.

The focus is on Ripley as INDIVIDUAL, not her gender. Nothing could be less woke than promoting the individual above the group.

In fact, in the modern context, it may be specifically ANTI-WOKE because it is anti-corporation.

And she doesn't even get out every scrape without a man or a robot man saving her ass.

Thanks and fuck off.
Shit. You're annoyingly not wrong here. I hate it when that happens.

There's nothing 'woke' about the Alien franchise. Ripley is a badass that happens to be female. But her being female barely matters to the plot.

Alien is how you do female empowerment in film. The new breed of bullshit 3rd wave feminists have no concept of that fact.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:45 PM 06-06-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Shit. You're annoyingly not wrong here. I hate it when that happens.

There's nothing 'woke' about the Alien franchise. Ripley is a badass that happens to be female. But her being female barely matters to the plot.

Alien is how you do female empowerment in film. The new breed of bullshit 3rd wave feminists have no concept of that fact.
Yup. Ridley and Sarah Connor are proof that it's how modern "badass" female characters are written and portrayed that's the problem.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:18 PM 06-06-2024
Bet modern day dipshits would still call it woke.

80% of the screen time goes to the female lead and there’s a black dude. WOKE!

On a serious note, that’s a pretty good trailer. Didn’t even show the alien. Funny to see how much they’ve changed over the last 40-50 years.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:27 PM 06-06-2024
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Bet modern day dipshits would still call it woke.

80% of the screen time goes to the female lead and there’s a black dude. WOKE!

On a serious note, that’s a pretty good trailer. Didn’t even show the alien. Funny to see how much they’ve changed over the last 40-50 years.
Whatever complaints there would be would be, it would be just a few dumbasses. When shit is good, people generally don't bitch about that kind of stuff. It's really simple.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 06:44 AM 06-07-2024
Alien 1.5 - Everybody Dies

Looks like a lot of references to what we've already seen before. Not that it's a bad thing, just that I didn't see a lot new here. Hopefully, they can give the characters some backstory so we actually care when they die. Or unlike the 3rd installment, at least make their deaths mean something.

Looks fine; has that gritty, dirty work place feel instead of the medically sterile environment of other movies.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 08:28 AM 06-07-2024
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Alien 1.5 - Everybody Dies

Looks like a lot of references to what we've already seen before. Not that it's a bad thing, just that I didn't see a lot new here. Hopefully, they can give the characters some backstory so we actually care when they die. Or unlike the 3rd installment, at least make their deaths mean something.

Looks fine; has that gritty, dirty work place feel instead of the medically sterile environment of other movies.
Outside of Aliens they haven't really had a band of trained soldiers going against Aliens. In Alien 3 you had unarmed prisoners, which I thought was a good premise, take it back a bit. In Resurrection they had the mercenaries, which was the best part of that movie. In AvP you could argue that the expedition crew were capable mercs, but they got wasted before you could bat an eyelash. Requiem was a bunch of disposable rednecks. Prometheus were scientists, and any security detail got destroyed just like AvP. Then as close as they got was Covenant but even then the "soldiers" didn't stand any chance.

This one looks to be trying to recreate the tension and atmosphere of the first one, it comes off looking like Resurrection did to me, so we'll see how it is, but imo they need to make the next one like Aliens. Bring back the marines, bring back the pulse rifles, the smart guns, actually have them stand a chance against the Aliens due to their weaponry and experience. Have them discuss battle strategies in real time, have back stories and witty banter between themselves. I haven't seen an Alien movie in a long time where I actually thought the humans looked like they stood a chance and were able to go head to head with the swarm of Aliens. You see it in all the video games tied to the franchise, but for the movies they haven't recreated it. The best thing about Predator and Aliens is that even though the soldiers were dying, at least they stood a chance, were menacing and had a believable edge to them, bring that back.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up