View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 299 of 343
« First < 199249289295296297298299 300301302303309 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:24 PM 12-23-2022
Originally Posted by jettio:
I don't think Brown and his agent's problem with the Chiefs last best offer this year was that it did not reset the market.

Brown and his guy did not like that the AAV was pumped up with unrealistic bullshit values for the last years of the deal.

I think Brown and his agent will be good with top 5 AAV at signing if it is not a deal with nonsense numbers for the last year or two.
That's how pretty much every single big contract is structured, so a top 5 AAV contract is actually going to realistically make him the highest paid tackle in the league. Look at these cap hits per year.

Williams
2021 - $8.2 mil
2022 - $9.7 mil
2023 - $27.3 mil
2024 - $28 mil
2025 - $30.5 mil
2026 - $34.2 mil

Can be cut after 2023

Pretty much all contracts are structured like this and the best players will sign these because they bet on themselves to be so good at the end that their teams can't afford to release them and they'll get paid.

If Brown wants a contract with no inflated numbers on the back end then he should have shown that he is good enough for the team to risk that money on him. He hasn't and if he won't take a reasonable contract, then I'm good with trading him for something.
[Reply]
poolboy 04:29 PM 12-23-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
You don’t just pull a LT out of your ass in the NFL. Elite ones are extremely rare and Orlando is a step down from there. I do think he still has upside, but those feet limit him regardless of development.

DONT DOUBT THE VIRCH....do we need elite or just a better pass blocking LT
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:40 PM 12-23-2022
:-) Wait, how the fuck does Williams have that good of a grade for the Chiefs game when I watched Frank Clark thoroughly demolish him on back to back sacks, including a safety that iced the game? Looking further into it he's only penalized for 1 hurry the whole game. :-) He paying PFF to thumb the scale for him or something?
[Reply]
O.city 04:46 PM 12-23-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
:-) Wait, how the **** does Williams have that good of a grade for the Chiefs game when I watched Frank Clark thoroughly demolish him on back to back sacks, including a safety that iced the game? Looking further into it he's only penalized for 1 hurry the whole game. :-) He paying PFF to thumb the scale for him or something?
Your evaluation of ol play is similar to my evaluation of potential trades

Aka you don’t know what you’re watching?
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:50 PM 12-23-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
Your evaluation of ol play is similar to my evaluation of potential trades

Aka you don’t know what you’re watching?
:-) Reid has resorted to treating Brown like a replacement level player and constantly sends chip help his way. That STILL didn't save his worthless ass against the Bengals. He's been painfully average to absolutely garbage this season and it's a massive testament to Mahomes that he still managed to lead an offense to #1 in most statistical categories despite having such dead weight at both OT spots.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:44 PM 12-23-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
:-) Reid has resorted to treating Brown like a replacement level player and constantly sends chip help his way. That STILL didn't save his worthless ass against the Bengals. He's been painfully average to absolutely garbage this season and it's a massive testament to Mahomes that he still managed to lead an offense to #1 in most statistical categories despite having such dead weight at both OT spots.
I've made no secret of the fact that I pretty much hate Orlando Brown.

I made no secret of not wanting him in the first place, as I thought he was a bad fit for this offense. And the whole waiting until the last minute to hire an agent and demanding to set the market stuff doesn't sit well with me, AT ALL.

So yeah, I'm pretty much in the "fuck that guy" camp. Your mileage may vary.

But in all fairness, part of the reason for him not being very good is that he's not good HERE, with MAHOMES.

For all of the trouble Patrick can get himself OUT OF, he also really stresses his OT's, and that is a part of the problem. Deep drops, hanging on to the ball, running around back there-all of that is breathtaking to watch, and also really difficult to block for. Brown is just not a capable OT here in this system. He's not nimble enough to re-set when the play gets extended.

He's a bad fit, which I said from the beginning. I kind of talked myself into it, as he was best OT available, and maybe we were going with a mauler type line, maybe we'd run the ball some more to help him out, but nope. He's just a bad fit.

Also, fuck that guy.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:52 AM 12-24-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I've made no secret of the fact that I pretty much hate Orlando Brown.

I made no secret of not wanting him in the first place, as I thought he was a bad fit for this offense. And the whole waiting until the last minute to hire an agent and demanding to set the market stuff doesn't sit well with me, AT ALL.

So yeah, I'm pretty much in the "fuck that guy" camp. Your mileage may vary.

But in all fairness, part of the reason for him not being very good is that he's not good HERE, with MAHOMES.

For all of the trouble Patrick can get himself OUT OF, he also really stresses his OT's, and that is a part of the problem. Deep drops, hanging on to the ball, running around back there-all of that is breathtaking to watch, and also really difficult to block for. Brown is just not a capable OT here in this system. He's not nimble enough to re-set when the play gets extended.

He's a bad fit, which I said from the beginning. I kind of talked myself into it, as he was best OT available, and maybe we were going with a mauler type line, maybe we'd run the ball some more to help him out, but nope. He's just a bad fit.

Also, fuck that guy.

With Conklin and Jenkins re-upping with their current teams, I don’t know what other option the Chiefs have but to try to work out something with Brown, again.

Hope he and his noob agent are more reasonable this time.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:02 AM 12-24-2022
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:
I fear we will have to come to some sort of agreement with Brown or Tag him again and buy another year to try and solve it.
No NFL player has played on a 2nd year tag. Most if not all never show up for camp and sit out the year.
[Reply]
crispystl 10:04 AM 12-24-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
Can you imagine OBJ blocking for someone without Mahome's pocket presence?

My goodness.

I asked my son this question a few days ago, except I said “can you imagine if that were Joe Flacco back there instead of Mahomes”?

Dude wouldn’t make it out of the first half alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
chiefforlife 10:34 AM 12-24-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
No NFL player has played on a 2nd year tag. Most if not all never show up for camp and sit out the year.
Not true, Kirk Cousins comes to mind. Gotta be more too.

I know its unlikely but there have been players tagged more than once that played.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:45 AM 12-24-2022

I know its unlikely but there have been players tagged more than once that played.
Very true, but if they franchise Brown Jr a second time because they can’t sign him I would be upset. It’s pretty clear that he wants a Top 5 LT contract. I can’t imagine Veach doesn’t know this already. If he is unwilling to give Brown Jr that contract then he should just move on. The only exception would be if he plans to do a tag and trade. Franchising him a second time would be horrible for our cap next year. While his position is important, it’s not QB important.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 10:46 AM 12-24-2022

Anthony Spencer

Phil Dawson

Jeff Reed

Ryan Pickett

Suggs

Karlos Dansby

Walter Jones played on it 3 consecutive years.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 11:24 AM 12-24-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
No way.

These agents saw Sunday ticket sell to google like the rest of us did and also know gambling revenue starts to impact the cap more next year.

Orlando is a 4x probowl tackle that has made the PB in 2 systems as a tackle on both sides of the line.

He’s also young with minimal injury history and zero off field concerns.

If we don’t reset the market for Orlando, somebody will.
All of that means jack shit. At the end of the day, does Brown’s performance add up to a tackle you feel comfortable giving $25 million a year to? Does he perform well against top competition? Does he mostly lock down his side of the line without needing help? The answer to all of that is a definitive NO! Let someone else make that mistake. You can get 80% of his production for less than 50% of the cost.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:41 AM 12-24-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
That's how pretty much every single big contract is structured, so a top 5 AAV contract is actually going to realistically make him the highest paid tackle in the league. Look at these cap hits per year.

Williams
2021 - $8.2 mil
2022 - $9.7 mil
2023 - $27.3 mil
2024 - $28 mil
2025 - $30.5 mil
2026 - $34.2 mil

Can be cut after 2023

Pretty much all contracts are structured like this and the best players will sign these because they bet on themselves to be so good at the end that their teams can't afford to release them and they'll get paid.

If Brown wants a contract with no inflated numbers on the back end then he should have shown that he is good enough for the team to risk that money on him. He hasn't and if he won't take a reasonable contract, then I'm good with trading him for something.
I think this was pretty much what the Chiefs offered. Absolutely nobody here would be mad at paying Orlando these numbers:

2021 - $8.2 mil
2022 - $9.7 mil
2023 - $27.3 mil

If you could only pay him a big cap hit 1 season and have Patrick use his bonus accelerator to push for cap that year, it really is team friendly.

But Orlando wants gauranteed money after 3 years. He wants the Chiefs to be locked to him for at least 5 years.

We saw what happens when you do that for Frank Clark. And Frank was a much better DE before he got paid then Orlando is a tackle before he got paid
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:57 AM 12-24-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I think this was pretty much what the Chiefs offered. Absolutely nobody here would be mad at paying Orlando these numbers:

2021 - $8.2 mil
2022 - $9.7 mil
2023 - $27.3 mil

If you could only pay him a big cap hit 1 season and have Patrick use his bonus accelerator to push for cap that year, it really is team friendly.

But Orlando wants gauranteed money after 3 years. He wants the Chiefs to be locked to him for at least 5 years.

We saw what happens when you do that for Frank Clark. And Frank was a much better DE before he got paid then Orlando is a tackle before he got paid
The report was that his contract offer was 6 yr/$139 mil w/$30.25 mil signing bonus. The first 5 yrs would pay him $95 mil, so that's essentially $19 mil/yr. The first 5 yrs of Williams contract pays him ~$103 mil, which is just below $21 mil/yr.

I was wrong before and the Chiefs were more than fair with their offer and Brown should have taken it.
[Reply]
Page 299 of 343
« First < 199249289295296297298299 300301302303309 > Last »
Up