ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 29 of 71
« First < 192526272829 3031323339 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022-2023 Missouri Tigers Men's Basketball***
dlphg9 08:07 PM 03-26-2022
Expecting big things boys!

Missouri got rid of crappy CM and the board went out and got one of the top coaches according to some in Cleveland State's Dennis Gates.

In 2 days he has 2 recruits

Top JUCO player 6' 10" Mohamed Diarra
Transport portal DeAndre Gholston who avg 15 pts at Milwaukee over the past 2 years

Very excited!
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 11:58 AM 01-19-2023
One thing about Hodge that no one has discussed in this conversation unless I just overlooked it is his defense. He may be streaky in terms of his outside shot, but his defense isn't streaky. That shows up every game, at least from what I've seen from him so far.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:22 PM 01-19-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And if you like Hodge, that's absolutely a reasonable conclusion.

I just don't. You're looking at a completely random set of outcomes anytime he's on the court. He's a fire and forget shooter and on nights that shot isn't falling - and it hasn't been falling against quality opponents - he's going to take you right out of the game.

This team is simultaneously too good and not good enough to deal with that sort of thing. This isn't a team that NEEDS a high variance bomber to win nor is it a team that is good enough to carry a high variance bomber out there going 0-6 behind the arc.

My preference for Gholston over Hodge would be similar to Gates preference for Honor over Mosely. I'm content taking the more stable player because I don't think you NEED the gunner out there dropping 15 from behind the arc.
If Hodge starts gunning a lot of bad shots or the ball starts sticking as he goes 1x1 and chases his own shot, I'm in agreement.

But I don't think he's done either, and his defense definitely is consistent and high-level.

I also think he's a player with some gravity. Teams are going to collapse hard on him to chase him off the 3-point line and devote defensive attention to preventing him from getting clean looks.

That's value even if he's not hitting a lot of shots.

The defense teams used against Martin's squads last year would come back out and be effective - just pack the lane because there isn't a shooter to respect.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:25 PM 01-19-2023
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
One thing about Hodge that no one has discussed in this conversation is his defense. He may be streaky in terms of his outside shot, but his defense isn't streaky. That shows up every game, at least from what I've seen from him so far.
He's high energy, but he's also prone to some pretty stupid fouls.

He did come up with a big steal and a great charge last night that I can remember. I think he promply gacked the possession after the steal (giveth and taketh away) but that charge during the Tigers last run was pretty massive.

The funny thing about that one was that Davis charged TWO guys on that play. Both Hodge and I'm pretty sure it was Brown were in a position to take the hit. And Davis was their best player by FAR last night - he just can't make that mistake. It was a complete vapor lock by Davis and it very easily could've been the reason they lost that game.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:27 PM 01-19-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If Hodge starts gunning a lot of bad shots or the ball starts sticking as he goes 1x1 and chases his own shot, I'm in agreement.
I will grant him that offensively he does seem to be taking quality shots (though he seems to be getting blocked a disproportionate number of times for an outside shooter).

But man - he's gotta start hitting them again. You can't have him shooting you into holes like he's done for the last couple of weeks.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 02:35 PM 01-19-2023
And if you like Hodge, that's absolutely a reasonable conclusion.

I just don't. You're looking at a completely random set of outcomes anytime he's on the court. He's a fire and forget shooter and on nights that shot isn't falling - and it hasn't been falling against quality opponents - he's going to take you right out of the game.

This team is simultaneously too good and not good enough to deal with that sort of thing. This isn't a team that NEEDS a high variance bomber to win nor is it a team that is good enough to carry a high variance bomber out there going 0-6 behind the arc.

My preference for Gholston over Hodge would be similar to Gates preference for Honor over Mosely. I'm content taking the more stable player because I don't think you NEED the gunner out there dropping 15 from behind the arc.
Hodge reminds me of Jordan Clarkson, start off well against inferior competition but struggle once they start conference play against tougher opponents. Hopefully he can bounce back.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:40 PM 01-19-2023
Originally Posted by Pepe Silvia:
Hodge reminds me of Jordan Clarkson, start off well against inferior competition but struggle once they start conference play against tougher opponents. Hopefully he can bounce back.
Clarkson was WAY better off the bounce than Hodge.

I'm thinking more like Mark Smith. Smith looked great against the Morehead States of the world but as soon as conference play started he was a chuck and duck liability.
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:45 PM 01-19-2023
Hodge seems content to shoot them right out of it.

It's a Clarence Gilbert game. Make, miss - don't matter, he's shooting.

Now the upshot with Gilbert was that on occasion he'd be absolutely unconscious and flat steal you a game. But then he'd be 1/11 from deep and still jack up a transition 3 to get to 1/12...

Just is what it is with guys like that. Sometimes you can only throw your hands up, say "well you take with the good with the bad" and hope he got it out of his system...
I've seen a lot of big comebacks in college basketball, some succeed and some fail.

The ones that fail seemingly always come down to a single possession in the middle of a hard run where someone takes an ill advised shot that misses or a wide-ass open shot that misses.

And then the opponent answers and the air is let out of the balloon.

Mizzou battled that sucker down to 49-53 with the ball in their hands and Hodge puts up a challenged 3 that gets blocked. Then after a predictable Aggie offensive board, Mizzou fouls, A&M makes 'em both and Mizzou immediately turns the ball over, fouls again and puts them right back on the line for 2 more.

From getting blocked on a possession that could've made it a 1 point game to down 8 in about 90 seconds of gameplay.

As soon as that shot got blocked I thought "****, is THAT the play where the air came out of the balloon?"

90 seconds later, it sure as hell felt like it.

Damn.
If anyone was curious about the moment that got Hodge in DJLN's shit house lmao.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:52 PM 01-19-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
If anyone was curious about the moment that got Hodge in DJLN's shit house lmao.
Close.

It was the moment that I settled on the 'why' of it, though.

It was the first Arkansas game, after I'd kinda started talking myself into him as a really nice floor spacer and potential clutch shooter, where I started feeling a bit iffy.

Because that game felt so many times like Mizzou was just playing their asses off and just needed ONE shot to fall. And Hodge was the guy I kept expecting to do it. And he just kinda disappeared.

He played well against Vandy so I thought maybe I was just grumpy. Then the A&M game happened. I mean he just gave us no shot. He created the hole we had to dig out of then when his teammates got to work, he just broke their shovels.

And I'm absolutely convinced Mizzou is a better team that Florida but again, Hodge was just missing open looks at critical moments.

But no question, the A&M game is when things kinda got more concrete for me...
[Reply]
jettio 04:34 PM 01-19-2023
The officials have too much effect on these SEC games.

I think these teams defend with the same amount of contact most games and sometimes everything is being called.

I caught the A&M game and soon a Mizzou was within 2 scores, everything is getting whistled.

Last night, I did not closely watch the entire game, but surprising to see Arkansas in that much foul trouble.

I thought it was BS that the referees spent so much time reviewing the charge call to see if Mizzou player was in restricted area. The Arkansas player was not leaving his feet for a shot, restricted area circle should only matter if player with ball is going towards basket to shoot or elevating towards the basket to draw defense and make a pass.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:53 PM 01-19-2023
Originally Posted by jettio:
The officials have too much effect on these SEC games.

I think these teams defend with the same amount of contact most games and sometimes everything is being called.

I caught the A&M game and soon a Mizzou was within 2 scores, everything is getting whistled.

Last night, I did not closely watch the entire game, but surprising to see Arkansas in that much foul trouble.

I thought it was BS that the referees spent so much time reviewing the charge call to see if Mizzou player was in restricted area. The Arkansas player was not leaving his feet for a shot, restricted area circle should only matter if player with ball is going towards basket to shoot or elevating towards the basket to draw defense and make a pass.
Which only came AFTER they spent 5 minutes reviewing about the most flagrant foul I've ever seen when the Arkansas guy literally bear hugged our man on a cut and proceeded to form tackle him.

The weirdest part about that game was how physical they let it be for the first 6-8 minutes. I noticed almost immediately that these guys were beating the hell out of each other. Then at the after 12 timeout, suddenly everything got whistled.

It was like they realized they'd let it get out of hand and spent the rest of the game trying (poorly) to ratchet things back.

Not a well officiated game, IMO.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:52 AM 01-21-2023

Long but worth the listen ⤵️

Dennis Gates talked today about Isiaih Mosley returning the court after dealing with personal issues. He thanked the media for respecting his space and thanked his team for putting their arms around Isiaih through this time. pic.twitter.com/FDiWxxdULd

— Chanel Porter (@ChanelABC17news) January 20, 2023

Wondering if he had mental health issues.

Also, Coach Gates seems like one of the most genuine dudes there is. No wonder he has such strong relationships with all of these players. I can't believe this guy is our coach. Such a great person, as well as a great coach.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 06:40 PM 01-21-2023
Hodge sucks.

That is all.

Back to drinking. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!'
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:00 PM 01-21-2023
Hodge sucks.

That is all.

Back to drinking. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!'
Does Mosley play the same position as him? Cuz Mosley for sure does not suck.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 07:09 PM 01-21-2023
Shot cold all night.
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:43 PM 01-21-2023
Last 4 games we are 18/102 from 3 point range. Maybe let's stop jacking up 3's. We've averaged 25.5 3's a game and making 4.5 during that stretch. No wonder we're 1-3 during that stretch. Hodge is 4/25 during that stretch. He's 10/40 during conference play and if you take out the Vandy game, then he's 6/33. That's ridiculously bad.
[Reply]
Page 29 of 71
« First < 192526272829 3031323339 > Last »
Up