View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 284 of 343
« First < 184234274280281282283284 285286287288294334 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
O.city 12:11 PM 12-14-2022
I'm as big of a "trade picks for players" guy as anyone, but at this point, I'm out on that. If you want a rusher, just pay one and be done iwht it if there's one available. Otherwise, just draft and see what you can get.
[Reply]
Molitoth 12:17 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'm as big of a "trade picks for players" guy as anyone, but at this point, I'm out on that. If you want a rusher, just pay one and be done iwht it if there's one available. Otherwise, just draft and see what you can get.
I tend to think players that have had their payday don't work as hard as Rookies still trying to make that big contract. For DLINE, I would take my chances with a Rookie over a really high cost vet any day. We've seen the effort/results from Frank Clark himself.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 12:19 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Personally, I don't think Brown should be in KC beyond 2023, so I don't think that makes me some kind of fake believer in Brown.

I just think roster construction is complex, and pouring everything into bucket A means you have nothing left for buckets B-Z.

So I want to pour the biggest assets into our biggest problem areas in the smartest way possible, while still realizing that I'm just a guy with no power over the Chiefs so I'm not going to waste my time begging Reid to plug in a rookie LT when he's never done it.

I disagree with your last paragraph. The Chiefs beat the Bengals if Kelce doesn't fumble (probably). Mahomes/Reid are good enough to compensate for a subpar left tackle for a while. You don't want to do it longterm, but they can patch it over for a year.

Meanwhile the biggest reason we lost was because our DL is poor without blitzes dialed up.

I think you can fix the tackle position over a couple seasons.
The biggest problem with orlando brown is that his cost hamstrings you from making sizable gains in other areas while still having a glaring weakness at a premium position. It's a triple whammy. And, while a pass rush helps win games, the number one way to win games for KC is keeping Mahomes protected.

Orlando Brown can't be on this team next year. He's been too public about his desire to play left tackle, and frankly I'm not convinced he can be effective at ANY OL spot in this offense. He's too tall and too slow.

Personally, I'm letting him walk with no strings attached and hoping for a comp pick. But he is truly subtraction by addition next year.

Also, you're theory about being able to "patch it over for a year" is a non-starter.. They already did for the last TWO years. Adding a third isn't "patching it over." it's tripling down on a bad player.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:57 PM 12-14-2022
Chiefs pundits always talk about tagging him again. Putting aside whether that's worth it for the Chiefs or not, isn't that basically a nuclear option guaranteed to produce a pissed off player?

When was the last time a team tagged a guy twice - La'Veon Bell? That was ugly as hell. Chiefs aren't going to want a distraction like that.

The Chiefs seem to work very hard to be seen as the team that treats players right. They could have kept Fenton for depth, but they traded him so he'd have a chance to start somewhere else. They release vets early in the offseason so they can have a better chance of latching on somewhere else. Etc. I don't know if they'd want to throw all that away going nuclear on OBJ.
[Reply]
wazu 01:00 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Chiefs pundits always talk about tagging him again. Putting aside whether that's worth it for the Chiefs or not, isn't that basically a nuclear option guaranteed to produce a pissed off player?

When was the last time a team tagged a guy twice - La'Veon Bell? That was ugly as hell. Chiefs aren't going to want a distraction like that.
I think the second tag would be considerably less offensive than the first. It's an even bigger guaranteed 1 year contract. Kirk Cousins played that game, made a ton of money until the Redskins couldn't do it anymore, then signed a monster deal with Minnesota. OBJ should be so lucky.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:31 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
So I think that's completely reasonable. And I don't necessarily disagree.

But we know what Andy Reid's going to do.
The correct thing? Because that's what he tends to do?
[Reply]
New World Order 01:36 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
We gotta go for it now. Kelce isn’t going to be young forever
[Reply]
RunKC 03:05 PM 12-14-2022
Don’t trade and pay for a player unless they are awesome. In this case, FA is below avg. maybe try paying the best interior pass rusher for him to stick around a few more years and use additional money for cheaper guys like Omenihu, Key and Smoot.

Oh and the draft..
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:07 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by New World Order:
We gotta go for it now. Kelce isn’t going to be young forever
I'd prefer we "go for it" every year until 15 decides to hang up his cleats.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 07:03 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Why is this still being debated? He isn't very good at all. He was a mistake by Veach and Veach will not pay him. He took a shot and was wrong and next season we will find a better one. The two biggest problems with our team is the pass rush isn't very good most of the time and the tackles suck. They outright both suck and will, be replaced next season.
I realize your post covered more than this, but really?

He was plan B (or C?) when his preferred plan resigned in SF. Nobody bats 100% and a GM isn't always going to know if a free agent is serious about leaving his former team or if he is just driving up the price.

Getting Brown at the last minute on a rookie contract for an equivalent of a second, I don't think is a mistake.

This isn't like cutting your first round pick after two years. Or even as bad as MEH.

If he made a mistake, it was last off season offering an extension that Brown thankfully turned down.
[Reply]
Kiimo 07:05 PM 12-14-2022
If we win a SB it was certainly not a mistake. The mistake would be to keep him next season or *shudder* sign him to a long-term deal.
[Reply]
BossChief 11:19 PM 12-14-2022
My hope is that he just let Hendrickson get in his head because he’s been solid the 3-4 games before Cincy and was solid against Denver, for the most part. Those feet are just terrible, though.

It’s too bad Lucas Niang hasn’t been able to stay healthy. It’s possible he’s the teams best LT.
[Reply]
Chiefsfan1 02:49 AM 12-15-2022
Bottom line, IMO, he's just too slow against speed rushers (and the same goes for if he switches to right tackle, which he won't). That's a big problem...and if he has to have Joe Thuney next to him to be more passable in that regard, that's another reason why the Chiefs shouldn't pay him. Not to mention needing a RB to stay in and chip often. Why wouldn't all AFC teams just try to load up on all the speed rushers they can get to take advantage? It's too glaring a weakness and a poor fit for Mahomes and our offense (which is, obviously, heavily predicated on throwing the ball) IMO.

I'm totally fine with Veach's decision to trade for him and to tag him once. That wasn't a mistake. The mistake would be giving him a long-term deal and doing it by paying him the most money any left tackle has ever gotten, which is his demand. The Chiefs have to go in a different direction IMO. Doing so, along with extending Chris Jones, will also open up plenty of cap space for the crucial free agency period in March. Gives the team enough cap space to sign some good players AND extend the other players they want to bring back (like L'Jarius Sneed, and down the road, Creed Humphrey, Nick Bolton, etc). If they want to pay a left tackle big money, trade for Laremy Tunsil and pay him. I'd prefer to just bite the bullet and go up in the draft for the left tackle of the future, though. I think it's eventually going to have to be done. If we do it now and it's a hit, then Mahomes finally has his long-term left tackle for the next 10 years. Then you no longer have to worry about that position for quite a while. To me, that's the most important piece to find right now. Then edge rusher (which can be addressed via both free agency and the draft in some combination), and then finding that special offensive skill player at WR or TE for the future (preferably TE, honestly, because they get paid far less than WRs).
[Reply]
RunKC 09:05 AM 12-15-2022
Yeah. I’m digging this. There is one guy that is elite level that I would totally pay the bank for in FA. I would love to sign Gardner-Johnson. He would be perfect in our defense.

I think KC will tag Brown (and go from there), but otherwise, Ian is speaking my language with the Chiefs’ plan moving forward https://t.co/X2zknhq40o

— Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) December 15, 2022

[Reply]
Red Dawg 09:08 AM 12-15-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Yeah. I’m digging this. There is one guy that is wire level that I would totally pay the bank for in FA. I would love to sign Gardner-Johnson. He would be perfect in our defense.

Hell no. Tag him again? Bullshit. Use the picks and move up in the draft.
[Reply]
Page 284 of 343
« First < 184234274280281282283284 285286287288294334 > Last »
Up