ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 280 of 333
« First < 180230270276277278279280 281282283284290330 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 12:02 AM 01-01-2023

2023 – A new beginning for the Royals. Matt Quatraro era begins. A year to see which of our young players will make up the core going forward. Can Bobby Witt Jr become a superstar SS or will go to the hot corner? Will Brady Singer take the next step forward? Will Salvy be Salvy? Will Big Vin or Pratto take first base? Will they find a position for MJ? Who else emerges from the youth movement? Not to mention the development of the new downtown stadium.

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Jordan Lyles, RHP
Ryan Yarbrough, LHP
Josh Taylor, LHP
Aroldis Chapman, LHP

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Gavin Cross, OF
2. Cayden Wallace, 3B
3. Drew Waters, OF
4. Ben Kudrna, RHP
5. Frank Mozzicato, LHP
6. Maikel Garcia, SS
7. Tyler Gentry, OF
8. Nick Loftin, OF/3B
9. Angel Zerpa, LHP
10. Carter Jensen, C
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 04:33 PM 08-26-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
The injury concern is completely and totally over blown. He is completely recovered from the injury/rehab and chances of him having another UCL injury that requires TJ is extremely small. He hadn't fully recovered from the first TJ surgery and had the injury during recovery.

He's completely fine now and I'm not even relatively concerned about reinjury.
I hope he stays healthy and you're right. He looks like he could be a huge steal.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 04:23 PM 08-27-2023
John McMillion strikes out two in 1-2-3 eighth. He has eight Ks in four innings since his call up.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 10:21 PM 08-27-2023
Blake Mitchell is playing like crap compared to the guys drafted right after him. I think the Royals are going to hide him next season because they already know they made a mistake.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 11:28 PM 08-27-2023
Originally Posted by Al Bundy:
Blake Mitchell is playing like crap compared to the guys drafted right after him. I think the Royals are going to hide him next season because they already know they made a mistake.
One reason not to panic, he has more walks (17) than strikeouts (14).
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:22 AM 08-28-2023

It was a risky pick. Early returns are not making it look great.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 07:17 AM 08-28-2023
He's had 34 ABs. Let's not panic yet.
[Reply]
nychief 07:56 AM 08-28-2023
the mitchell pick was a waste, everybody knows it. The front office still thinks "feelings" about kids is a scouting technique.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 08:41 AM 08-28-2023
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
He's had 34 ABs. Let's not panic yet.
He should already be in Low A and pounding those pitching staff's. They are going to hide him all off-season and hope people forget about him while they worry about the stadium. This pick should get Ontiveros fired.
[Reply]
nychief 08:42 AM 08-28-2023
He should already be in Low A and pounding those pitching staff's. They are going to hide him all off-season and hope people forget about him while they worry about the stadium. This pick should get Ontiveros fired.

yeah, that guy is a clown...
[Reply]
Ocotillo 12:26 PM 08-28-2023
He should already be in low A? Historically, high picks out of high school don't usually make it out of rookie ball in the season of their draft year. Bobby Witt Jr. didn't play above rookie ball in his 2019 pro debut.

There are outliers of course like Nolan Gorman, but development isn't linear.

Just for context, I went back and looked at the famous 2005 amateur draft when five big time prospect outfielders were taken out of HS in the first round with Justin Upton, Cameron Maybin, Andrew McCutchen, Jay Bruce and Colby Rasmus.

Upton and Maybin signed late and didn't play at all, but McCutchen, Bruce and Rasmus only played in rookie ball after they signed.

The following year, Maybin, Bruce and Upton spent the entire year at low Single-A. Rasmus got promoted to high Single-A after starting in low A and McCutchen got a late promotion to Double-A after playing the majority of the year in low A.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:50 PM 08-28-2023
I think there's a middle ground here that's less doom-and-gloom than this without being overly optimistic.

Walker Jenkins and Max Clark have been advanced to regular A ball, and each have about 10 at-bats with solid production but not what I would call "pounding those pitching staffs" ... and those are two players who were considered significantly more advanced than the other HS bats.

For the HS guys that came after Mitchell, you have Bryce Eldridge earning a promotion and Raphy Velazquez and Arjun Nimmala NOT yet. NImmala is pretty similar to Mitchell. Eldridge isn't. Valazquez is crushing rookie ball pitching.

Anyway, the point here is that I don't think Mitchell not advancing past rookie ball as a HS rookie is an indictment in and of itself. The success or failure of the pick is on how he progresses from here.

As I say often, prospect development is not linear. Sometimes a guy mashes early but has a flaw that gets exploited and holds him back at higher levels. Sometimes a team is trying to fix something about a hitter and he struggles early before adjusting and taking off. Etc.

Onteveros needs things to turn next year for Mitchell and Cross, though, or his seat is going to get plenty warm.

There are some good things going on in the minor league system. Primarily with the pitching side. On the position player side, there's not a lot there - and the guys they HAVE invested in are looking weaker than a lot of players taken after them.

The college bats taken after Mitchell, especially, are making it look bad.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:57 PM 08-28-2023
Originally Posted by nychief:
the mitchell pick was a waste, everybody knows it. The front office still thinks "feelings" about kids is a scouting technique.
Mitchell is the next Carter Jensen. You shut ur mouf
[Reply]
Mecca 12:58 PM 08-28-2023
The Royals really seem to have lost all concept on what the draft or developing players is about.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:57 PM 08-28-2023
Meh. They didn't promote Bobby Witt right to Single A his first year either.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:36 PM 08-28-2023
Brutal game tonight
[Reply]
Page 280 of 333
« First < 180230270276277278279280 281282283284290330 > Last »
Up