ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 275 of 469
« First < 175225265271272273274275 276277278279285325375 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:24 PM 07-28-2022
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Well, the fact is he is a rental. The same teams that are discussing Benintendi are probably looking at a better, non-rental bat in Happ who is also having a better year defensively. Other teams are locked up in Soto proposals.
You got a top 15 prospect in your system and 2 other pitchers for a 2+ months of guy that has a .078 ISO and his batting line is entirely held up by his nearly .370 BABIP. I would say you did ok.
Just let the bitchers bitch.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:27 PM 07-28-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
This return is just so mediocre and say all you want about him being a rental, but there were several teams with interest and it seems like we took the trade because of our need for pitchers in our system. A need that exists because of our lack of ability to develop pitchers. It seems our plan to combat this lack of pitching development was to trade for 3 prospects that are in dire need of development. All 3 guys are on the older side for their level.

The top guy we got back Beck Way is a 22 year old in his second go at A+ ball. He's got a 3.73 ERA and a 1.120 WHIP. That's pretty mediocre for a pitcher of his age in his 2nd season at that level.

The next guy is T.J Sikkema, who has had pitched very well with a 2.48 ERA and .826 WHIP. The downside though is he is 24 years old and only in A+ ball.

The last guy, who is absolutely just a throw in. Chandler Champlain a 23 year old in low A. He has a 4.30 ERA and a 1.241 WHIP.

So the Royals went for quantity over quality, which is the stupidest thing we could have done since our pitching development is garbage. I have a hard time believing this was the best deal out there and it feels like Dayton traded based on need instead of getting the best player he could.
The return is similar to what the Cubs received for rentals last year. I think Lesky had speculated a pure rental trade guy that was sought after could probably be hoped to return a top 15 guy, a top 20 guy, and a top 30 guy from an above-average system.

I don't think the return for Benintendi alone is bad.

I think the Royals approach to it is off. They should have included Barlow or Staumont to sweeten the pot. Do that and you're now talking about a guy in the top 10 of the Yankees' good system, maybe even top 5. Oswaldo Peraza probably could have been acquiring as the main piece for Benintendi and Barlow (with a Champlain type or 2 thrown in).
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:38 PM 07-28-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I just realized something looking at those ages...those guys are likely to be Rule 5 eligible soon. So the Royals basically took some guys the Yankees weren't gonna protect for the Rule 5 draft...now creating where they'll have to find spots, brilliant job.
I don't Rule V is really an issue here for KC.

Sikkema - Rule V eligible in 2023 (drafted in 19)
Way - Rule V eligibile in 2024 (drafted in 20)
Champlain - Rule V eligibile in 2025 (drafted in 21)

They were all older than 19 when drafted, so they have to be protected within 4 seasons.

Age isn't the factor other than determining how many seasons you have before they're Rule V eligible.

It's why I was talking about Alexander Vargas earlier. He IS Rule V eligible this year, and he's so far away from the bigs the Yankees probably HAVE to trade him (because he has sucked this year).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:53 PM 07-28-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
The return is similar to what the Cubs received for rentals last year. I think Lesky had speculated a pure rental trade guy that was sought after could probably be hoped to return a top 15 guy, a top 20 guy, and a top 30 guy from an above-average system.

I think the Royals approach to it is off. They should have included Barlow or Staumont to sweeten the pot. Do that and you're now talking about a guy in the top 10 of the Yankees' good system, maybe even top 5. Oswaldo Peraza probably could have been acquiring as the main piece for Benintendi and Barlow (with a Champlain type or 2 thrown in).
I have very little faith in Moore as a horse trader.

But I seriously doubt a deal of that sort wasn't discussed. If they could've had Peraza, I can't imagine a reliever would've blown it up because of an extra year or two of control.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but Peraza is considered by many as a top 50 prospect. I don't think Barlow moves the needle enough to get that done. And if it would have, I think it would have happened.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:58 PM 07-28-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

But I seriously doubt a deal of that sort wasn't discussed. If they could've had Peraza, I can't imagine a reliever would've blown it up because of an extra year or two of control.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but Peraza is considered by many as a top 50 prospect. I don't think Barlow moves the needle enough to get that done. And if it would have, I think it would have happened.
Barlow has some good value because he is under arbitration for next 2 seasons.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:00 PM 07-28-2022

I feel like the biggest issue here is the Yankees are really good at developing pitchers and the Royals are complete ass cheeks at it so the odds say these guys won't get better.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:26 PM 07-28-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Barlow has some good value because he is under arbitration for next 2 seasons.
I think most teams have gotten savvy to the idea of reliever volatility, though.

Guys like Jorge Lopez can come out of nowhere and be monsters for a couple years. Then other guys look good for 3-4 years and fall apart. A guy like Matt Barnes made the AS team 2 years ago then has an 8 ERA this season. Clay Holmes looks like crap for 2-3 seasons and now he's a genuine stopper.

Starters and hitters I think carry a great deal of value when they have additional control. Relievers? I'm not sure teams care quite as much there. They know that it's damn near a coin flip that these guys just lose it in any given season.

When the Yankees look at Barlow they're not looking at his ERA. They're looking at that FIP taking a step back to his career norms (3.5ish). They're looking at a declining K rate and velocity that's taken a step back and who's REALLY having to lean into his breaking stuff to get outs this year.

Don't get me wrong - Barlow's a nice pitcher and a guy any team would like to have. But he's a guy they tend to try to develop rather than trade for. I just don't recall many instances of relievers who don't have that October 'name' cache getting much in the trade market. It's mostly a solid (organizational top 20 guy usually?) sort of player who's still a few years out.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:26 PM 07-28-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Oh, I don't think they're actively shopping either reliever from what I'm hearing. Making teams come to them.

I haven't seen Peraza that high, so he's more of a fringe 100 guy in my mind right now. He has performed well this season, though, so that probably isn't realistic anymore.

Point is: They could have added a lot more value by including Barlow.

Instead, they'll let Mamaron blow out his arm chasing 75 wins instead of 70. And get nothing back for him.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:28 PM 07-28-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I feel like the biggest issue here is the Yankees are really good at developing pitchers and the Royals are complete ass cheeks at it so the odds say these guys won't get better.
On the other hand, that's kinda why you target someone like Sikkema. He's really advanced.

Just stay out of his way. Let him get in better shape (he was always prone to bouts of getting a little tubby) and work his way through the upper minors. He's more of a set and forget guy.

You shouldn't need to screw around much with him.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:33 PM 07-28-2022
Oh, I don't think they're actively shopping either reliever from what I'm hearing. Making teams come to them.

I haven't seen Peraza that high, so he's more of a fringe 100 guy in my mind right now. He has performed well this season, though, so that probably isn't realistic anymore.

Point is: They could have added a lot more value by including Barlow.

Instead, they'll let Mamaron blow out his arm chasing 75 wins instead of 70. And get nothing back for him.
I'd seen some guys starting to ask if he may not be a better bet long-term at SS for the Yankees than Volpe. I think I saw one mid-season update that even had him in the 30s.

He's probably a 55 FV guy right now?

But I don't disagree with your underlying premise - EVERY team that isn't looking to win a championship in the next 2 seasons should be trading essentially any reliever they have if someone comes asking for him. Those guys are ticking time-bombs either way.

A guy I'd dangle (quietly) if I'm the Orioles is Felix Bautista. Holy hell that guy is a monster. And I think front-offices know it. He might (I shit you not) be the best reliever in the American League at the moment. But he's also a 27 yr old rookie who hasn't done this before. He's the poster-child for reliever volatility and I'm betting his value is immense right now.

The Orioles could probably get at least a top 50 guy and maybe another top 100 for him right now.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 04:25 PM 07-28-2022
I want a full blown fire sale. If they are a free agent in the next 2 years, trade em for someone who will be a contributor for the majority of the BWJ/MJ/VP/NP window.
[Reply]
jettio 05:03 PM 07-28-2022
Next year we should have a Royals thread for fans that are not assholes and still have a thread just like this one.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:27 PM 07-28-2022
Has Melendez EVER thrown out a runner in the majors yet?
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:41 PM 07-28-2022
Big Vin - the bunt king
[Reply]
dlphg9 06:48 PM 07-28-2022
Originally Posted by jettio:
Next year we should have a Royals thread for fans that are not assholes and still have a thread just like this one.
Who you whining about?
[Reply]
Page 275 of 469
« First < 175225265271272273274275 276277278279285325375 > Last »
Up