ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 272 of 3903
« First < 172222262268269270271272 2732742752762823223727721272 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 12:05 PM 03-15-2020
Rumor is they are going to say we have community spread here in Clinton due to a 72 yr old man that came to GVMH with a cold but no other symptoms really so they let him go home.

Sounds like they didn't quarantine the staff so.....

Originally Posted by :
Patient was a cold symptom type patient. Screened negative for risk exposures (no high risk travel) and no fever.

Seen in fast track.. treated as many of you have been...sent home.
Returned because symptoms were worsening; screened negative again and still no fever.

Admitted. Treated...like many have been. An astute physician became concerned with his symptoms etc despite no exposures.

Placed the patient on isolation and jumped through all the hoops needed to get him tested despite the fact that he had no high risk exposures.... which was not initially allowed because you needed exposure.

The test was obtained at Golden Valley. Sadly, he patient continued to deteriorate and was intubated and transferred to a higher level of care.

This was before the test came back positive.

Then the test came back positive. Once intubated patients are not near the risk they were prior to intubation. Basically it protects the workers.

We tried to get all the exposed workers screened and could not. Now we are getting them screened.

[Reply]
ghak99 12:05 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I understand completely. Have you seen what is actually going on in other parts of the world? If a person does not have enough supplies and knowledge of how to make it for a couple of weeks given notice then let natural selection work I guess.
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I grew up in the middle of 10,000 acres in southern Missouri. If a person has a farm they have enough feed and hay to make it through a short term shut down better than most, including for their livestock.
If a person has a farm?? What in the old McDonald had a farm kind of shit is this?

The days of grampa forking hay over the fence and pouring a bucket of grain died long ago. You're talking about hobby farms. I'm talking 4800 head units and lots having 100k on feed. The actual food supply depends on massive amounts of feed, fuel, and trucks moving daily or tens of thousands of animals start to die.

For fucks sake, Canada depends on the US for a lot of it's slaughter capacity. Even they depend on US to keep things rolling or their shit is going to hit the fan.

Modern agriculture. You do not speak it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:05 PM 03-15-2020
COVID-19 isn’t just the flu?

COVID-19 has been described by some as “just a cold,” or just like the common flu. COVID-19 is not a common flu. COVID-19 is an order of magnitude worse than the flu. The fatality rate is approximately ten times worse than the flu.

The flu spreads from September through April in the U.S., and June through August in the Southern Hemisphere. Yes, it does cause severe illness in many, but it does so over a longer time course. Time is a variable that is working against us during this COVID-19 outbreak. COVID-19 victims will be presenting to a hospital in need of critical care at a rate that is far higher than occurs with the flu.

In addition, these patients will require hospital treatment over the course of a few weeks rather than the 3-4 months of a typical flu season. The health care system in the USA is not ready to handle tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of people over a short time frame. In Italy, the health care system buckled under the strain, and the health care teams are now forced to make horrible life and death decisions.

COVID-19 is a severe respiratory illness caused by the virus named SARS-CoV2. It is a novel virus, which means that no one in the world has antibodies to it because no one has ever been infected by it before. As such, when the COVID-19 virus invades our body, we do not have antibodies. We do not have a template to utilize from a previous exposure to rapidly create a defense against the virus. Because no one has antibodies, everyone is at risk for catching the virus, becoming ill, and spreading the virus so that it can infect those around you.

Exponential math is very hard to grasp. Every person with the COVID-19 virus infects approximately two people. Some less, some more. The infection rate doubles every six days. That means that if 50,000 people have the virus today, then in 6 days, 100,000 people will have it. In another 12 days it’s 400,000 and less than two weeks later it’s over a million people. We have 330 million people in the US. The experts expect that 40-70% of people will be infected. Exponential growth does not take that long to get to those scary high numbers. Every six days, we delay the number of infections double. This YouTube video does a great job of explaining this.

The rest of the info is here
https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/
[Reply]
displacedinMN 12:06 PM 03-15-2020

Social Distancing...

CGI by @juan_delcan pic.twitter.com/c3ZaH2YBWP

— Yashar Ali �� (@yashar) March 15, 2020

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:06 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Do you think that can be done here? Honest question.
It certainly *could* be done. It won't be done because I think too many people are flippant about health issues until it is far too late to solve them (whether it's people non-adherent to their medication, making terrible lifestyle/diet choices, etc.), and I don't think there is the political will to enact the measures necessary to ensure a flattening of the curve. There is also an absolutely horrific strain of anti-intellectualism which has infected this society to the point where some, as you have seen in this thread, treat the preeminent people in their fields as though they are quacks.

Example: ptylon's posts are really the equivalent of saying that Patrick Mahomes can't play quarterback at any level. They are that far off-base. They are that arrogant and uninformed.

Men like Fauci have been working on these issues for decades. He was at NIH when ACT-UP demonstrated there, and he actually brought the leaders of the protest in to discuss the similarities between their goals and the goals of NIH. He started a dialogue that led to real progress in confronting AIDS between the activists and the government. He's served in six administrations of both political parties. He absolutely knows what he's talking about it and what could happen.

Unfortunately, this country does not have a good record of making difficult decisions to confront epidemics/pandemics--look at what wasn't done with the blood bank industry in the early years of the AIDS epidemic--the CDC and the blood industry knew that people were contracting HIV through transfusions, the CDC made recommendations for screening and testing (using the HBV test, actually), and the blood bank industry said it would be too inexpensive and there weren't enough cases to demonstrate a real need. Don Francis, who was part of the CDC at the time, got up and said, "how many dead hemophiliacs do you need?" This was actually dramatized in HBO's version of And the Band Played On, but it is an actual event. Of course, 25,000 people ended up getting infected via transfusions with a virus with a 100% fatality rate and at that time no treatments, and most of them died before effective therapies were released. That should not have happened and it was a scandal that it did.

Further regarding AIDS, I'll give you this quote: "Later, everybody agreed the baths should have been closed sooner; they agreed health education should have been more direct and more timely. And everybody also agreed blood banks should have tested blood sooner, and that a search for the AIDS virus should have been started sooner, and that scientists should have laid aside their petty intrigues. Everybody subsequently agreed that the news media should have offered better coverage of the epidemic much earlier, and that the federal government should have done much, much more. By the time everyone agreed to all this, however, it was too late. Instead people died. Tens of thousands of them."
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:07 PM 03-15-2020

If you'e still hanging with friends, going to restaurants/bars, and acting like this isn't a big deal, get your shit together.

The following thread is taken from an Italian citizen.

As they put it:

"To the rest of the world, you have no idea what's coming."

MUST READ��

— Yano (@JasonYanowitz) March 14, 2020

Thread
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:08 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
A good place to start would be stating facts you disagree with, and why.
I'm not digging through over a hundred pages of this thread to pick out pieces of information that were posted in haste that were totally untrue or overzealous hyperbole.

I'm just saying the overreaction of this nation is pretty self evident. The "War of the World's" happened almost 90 years ago and society hasn't changed, even with the technology we have today. I'd say it's more of a detriment in this type of situation rather than helping.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:09 PM 03-15-2020
Unless they postpone elections.....I’m still going to work. I’m mandated by deadlines.....some of which are in the next week or two.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:09 PM 03-15-2020
NSAIDS (like ibuprofen) might make symptoms worse: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...irus-infection
[Reply]
SupDock 12:10 PM 03-15-2020
I don't know if quarantining exposed healthcare workers is going to be reasonable.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:16 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Nope. Don't need one to know this is being blown totally out of proportion.
This is the dumbest post I have seen on here in a very long time.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 12:17 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
I'm not digging through over a hundred pages of this thread to pick out pieces of information that were posted in haste that were totally untrue or overzealous hyperbole.

I'm just saying the overreaction of this nation is pretty self evident. The "War of the World's" happened almost 90 years ago and society hasn't changed, even with the technology we have today. I'd say it's more of a detriment in this type of situation rather than helping.
So you think nothing should be shut down and everyone should just be going about their business as usual?

Sounds like a great way to keep the virus from spreading. I'm sure the elderly would appreciate it.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:19 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Do you think that can be done here? Honest question.
I think can is the wrong word for the situation. Will would be better. There are plenty of people that are health compromised that will not take the risk. There are those that will not risk it because they don't have to take the risk. There are those that won't because it gives them a chance to be lazy.
Point being is that there will be a large majority that will isolate causing most other things to shut down.
[Reply]
SupDock 12:19 PM 03-15-2020

BREAKING: Another HUGE increase in #CoronaVirus infections in Italy ����

3 590 infected and 368 dead today alone.

- 24 747 infected.
- 1 809 dead.
- 7.3% death rate.

This is a human tragedy ��

— PeterSweden (@PeterSweden7) March 15, 2020

[Reply]
petegz28 12:20 PM 03-15-2020
Mortality rate in US is now under 2%. Let's hope it keeps going down.
[Reply]
Page 272 of 3903
« First < 172222262268269270271272 2732742752762823223727721272 > Last »
Up