ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 267 of 727
« First < 167217257263264265266267 268269270271277317367 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:26 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
You seem willing to be patient with the process. Do you feel most MU fans will be patient with the process or will they be calling Alden and Pinkel's head for making THIS move after 1 or 2 years? It's like getting a new QB or coach. The first year is a mulligan, but you better damn sure show signs of progress in year 2 or the fans will be bitching.
Without question.

The rest of your post is based on a faulty assumption.

You're grossly underestimating this fanbase, IMO. Oh sure, the people that didn't want to leave to begin with will get riled up immediately (likely fueled by the talk-radio asshats like Kietzmann), but the vast majority of MU fans full recognize what we're getting into here and will react accordingly.
[Reply]
Saul Good 12:26 PM 10-07-2011
I really appreciate the concern from the fans of the other schools. Its nice to have such caring friends in the Big Leftover.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:28 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
Pinkel next year. ON THE HOT SEAT. lol.
Todd Haley on the hot seat in 2011 lol
[Reply]
HemiEd 12:28 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by eazyb81:
So I see Hemi is trying to takeover Wickeddumb's role of weak random trolling without ever providing an interesting comment. Sweet.
:-), just trying to understand where all this football dynasty attitude stems from. It was mentioned KU was the doormat, and their current record is the exact same as the Tigers.

So, if you aren't slobbering all over the Mizzou cock, that is trolling?
[Reply]
Frazod 12:29 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by kstater:
Moral victory!!!
Moral victories suck. Real victories rock. We'll be picking one up this Saturday.
[Reply]
kstater 12:30 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by frazod:
Moral victories suck. Real victories rock. We'll be picking one up this Saturday.
Likely by 2 TD's.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:31 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Without question.

The rest of your post is based on a faulty assumption.

You're grossly underestimating this fanbase, IMO. Oh sure, the people that didn't want to leave to begin with will get riled up immediately (likely fueled by the talk-radio asshats like Kietzmann), but the vast majority of MU fans full recognize what we're getting into here and will react accordingly.
If you say so man, but to use another anaology as a Royals fan I would not be happy about a move to the AL East. Right now the SEC is like dating that new chick that can do no wrong. The endorphins are bouncing around in the brain and she is the only one for you, but eventually you are hitting doggie style and she rips a big one right in your grill and you start thinking damn my ex never did that to me. The SEC will eventually rip one right in MU's grill.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:31 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by kstater:
You said "over the last decade Mizzou is a better program or at least on par than WVU"

By any metric they aren't.

Wins over the last decade: Mizzou 77 WVU 88
Again the Big East is a glorified MAC - counting win totals doesn't really floor me.

They're comparable programs. Go talent for talent down the respective rosters over that time period and I don't see how you can disagree. Then when you consider the upheaval and scandal at WVU that hasn't hit MU, I'm more than happy standing MU's program up to WVUs.
[Reply]
Rooster 12:34 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
:-), just trying to understand where all this football dynasty attitude stems from. It was mentioned KU was the doormat, and their current record is the exact same as the Tigers.

This is what I have always wondered too.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:36 PM 10-07-2011
If you say so man, but to use another anaology as a Royals fan I would not be happy about a move to the AL East. Right now the SEC is like dating that new chick that can do no wrong. The endorphins are bouncing around in the brain and she is the only one for you, but eventually you are hitting doggie style and she rips a big one right in your grill and you start thinking damn my ex never did that to me.
Same analogy - do you think the Rays would've developed like they have from the AL Central?

I really don't.

Those boys have been fire hardened over there. A guy like James Shields simply wouldn't have become what he is today had he not gone through the wars in the AL East.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:38 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Rooster:
This is what I have always wondered too.
Establish it.

Show us all where MU fans have been claiming MU is a dynasty program.

I think every single MU fan in this thread will acknowledge that we are nowhere near a dynasty program, but that we're having a nice run of success of late and hope to become a consistently successful program going forward.

I know there's a lot of asshurt from the KU and K-State fans around here so they're erecting straw-men to make themselves feel better, but by all means, go ahead and show us all where MU fans have made themselves out to be Alabama.
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 12:38 PM 10-07-2011
As an OU fan I guess I still don't get it. I'm perfectly happy in the Big 12 where we can get a national title game every 3 years or so then trying to run the gauntlet that is the SEC. Eventually they will win a few of those games and let's say Stoops ends up 3-5 in title games. I'll take that all day long.
At your current rate it'd be more like 2-6 or 3-9 than 3-5. If the Big XII doesn't expand and the ACC, Big 10, Pac 12 and SEC do, then your road to the title game will be much more difficult without a conference championship game.

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic:
WV gets most of its talent from their local base, i.e Ohio,Maryland,Penn, VA. Its not the type of kids that build programs. Or you wouldnt have needed to ask which was better.
Really?

Kids like Noel Devine, Geno Smith (their current starting QB), Stedman Bailey (their starting WR), Ivan McCartney (their #3 WR), Jorge Wright (their starting NT), Eain Smith (their starting safety). They don't matter to the program. :-)
[Reply]
Pants 12:38 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by HemiEd:

It all stems from the old arguments we used to have how KU is a BB school. Naturally, MU fans would all start clamoring about how they're a "football" school. In reality, though, MU is just a school. One that is mediocre in both sports and severely lacking trophies.

Is MU football better than KU football right now? Obviously. Is MU more valuable to other conferences? Yes.

So they got that going for them.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:40 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Same analogy - do you think the Rays would've developed like they have from the AL Central?

I really don't.

Those boys have been fire hardened over there. A guy like James Shields simply wouldn't have become what he is today had he not gone through the wars in the AL East.
Yeah, I think they would have. They play so many other teams outside of the divison it's not like you wouldn't be tested against other very good teams regardless of what division you are in. But when you start out at such a disavantage it would be nice to not be in a division with team with the biggest advantage in the sport.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:40 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
It all stems from the old arguments we used to have how KU is a BB school. Naturally, MU fans would all start clamoring about how they're a "football" school. In reality, though, MU is just a school. One that is mediocre in both sports and severely lacking trophies.

Is MU football better than KU football right now? Obviously. Is MU more valuable to other conferences? Yes.

So they got that going for them.
So really it all gets back to KU's complete inability to discuss anything without yacking about basketball.

Got it.
[Reply]
Page 267 of 727
« First < 167217257263264265266267 268269270271277317367 > Last »
Up