ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 266 of 726
« First < 166216256262263264265266 267268269270276316366 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
ArrowheadMagic 12:14 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
Ok. So WVU has 19 players on their current roster that are from the state of Florida. Why don't you think a Mizzou team that's in the SEC couldn't compete for those 19 kids?
WV gets most of its talent from their local base, i.e Ohio,Maryland,Penn, VA. Its not the type of kids that build programs. Or you wouldnt have needed to ask which was better.
[Reply]
kstater 12:14 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
If this is the best argument you have, you should probably back it in.

The Tigers would've !@#$ing annihilated the Big East over the last 10 years.

But that's okay, big fella - let it all out. I know the Ron Prince years took a lot out of you and I'm sure the coming decade isn't going to be much kinder.
WVU has 2 BCS bowl victories in the last decade(1 being a win over OU the year Mizzou made it to the CCG). Mizzou?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:16 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
As an OU fan I guess I still don't get it. I'm perfectly happy in the Big 12 where we can get a national title game every 3 years or so then trying to run the gauntlet that is the SEC. Eventually they will win a few of those games and let's say Stoops ends up 3-5 in title games. I'll take that all day long.
Because you guys have made that leap into the elite levels - MU hasn't and they damn sure won't picking on KU, ISU and K-State every year.

If I were OU, I'd absolutely rather have the easier path the the National Championship game (though I'd argue the reason you get your asses kicked in said game is because you aren't being tested enough, but that's a tangent). You guys are already as 'developed' as a program as you're going to be; now its just a matter of winning.

But MU still has a ways to go before they can get to that level. The best chance of getting there and continuing to develop the program is by taking the program during one of the most successful and stable times in its history, and stepping up its level of competition.
[Reply]
Pants 12:16 PM 10-07-2011
This thread got Hep B.
[Reply]
DeezNutz 12:19 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
This thread got Hep B.
The SEC would kill a mediocre STD.
[Reply]
HemiEd 12:20 PM 10-07-2011
I'll miss you guys. I want Mizzu to stick around so I might be bias, but I really think MU fans will regret the move. I'm sure you'll hear "wait for the new recruits to come through that we'll be getting" as an excuse for being in the bottom 1/2 of the conference for awhile, but eventually that will fade and it will just be a bunch of pissed off people.
Meh, it is not totally unfamiliar territory to them. They have been there before, for an extended period of time. How about them 86 to 92 Tigers!

http://www.big12sports.com//pdf5/134...B_OEM_ID=10410
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:20 PM 10-07-2011
Because you guys have made that leap into the elite levels - MU hasn't and they damn sure won't picking on KU, ISU and K-State every year.

If I were OU, I'd absolutely rather have the easier path the the National Championship game (though I'd argue the reason you get your asses kicked in said game is because you aren't being tested enough, but that's a tangent). You guys are already as 'developed' as a program as you're going to be; now its just a matter of winning.

But MU still has a ways to go before they can get to that level. The best chance of getting there and continuing to develop the program is by taking the program during one of the most successful and stable times in its history, and stepping up its level of competition.
You seem willing to be patient with the process. Do you feel most MU fans will be patient with the process or will they be calling Alden and Pinkel's head for making THIS move after 1 or 2 years? It's like getting a new QB or coach. The first year is a mulligan, but you better damn sure show signs of progress in year 2 or the fans will be bitching.
[Reply]
|Zach| 12:22 PM 10-07-2011
You seem willing to be patient with the process. Do you feel most MU fans will be patient with the process or will they be calling Alden and Pinkel's head for making THIS move after 1 or 2 years? It's like getting a new QB or coach. The first year is a mulligan, but you better damn sure show signs of progress in year 2 or the fans will be bitching.
Pinkel next year. ON THE HOT SEAT. lol.
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 12:22 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Here is a couple of Texas kids that played in the SEC

How about these current NFLers from Texas? Some of them are National Champions, some of them even gaining MVP honors.

[Reply]
Saulbadguy 12:22 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Meh, it is not totally unfamiliar territory to them. They have been there before, for an extended period of time. How about them 86 to 92 Tigers!

They really cashed in on that.
[Reply]
eazyb81 12:22 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by HemiEd:

So I see Hemi is trying to takeover Wickeddumb's role of weak random trolling without ever providing an interesting comment. Sweet.
[Reply]
Bearcat 12:23 PM 10-07-2011
Sorry if this has been said, but IMO the best thing for MU would be to force the Big 12 back into 2 divisions where they would spearhead the north.
That's the worst option... they used to get pushed all over the field against a team like OU, and they've made big strides and can now at least hang with them. How would going back to ISU, KU, etc; and playing OU once every other year help? At least now, without divisions, they would be facing Texas, OU and OSU every year. Sure, MU will take a step or two back if they go to the SEC, but the best option for any team wanting to be the best is to play against the best.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:24 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by kstater:
WVU has 2 BCS bowl victories in the last decade(1 being a win over OU the year Mizzou made it to the CCG). Mizzou?
Didn't - what's your point?

Rich Rodriguez did some great things for the program. When last I checked, he was gone. And it wasn't exactly the prettiest ending down there in Morgantown.

Last season they did a decent job beating on a really awful conference...then their coach got run out of town. Maybe the new guy really is an offensive genius (he has a lot of Leach in him), but I do know that the program has been in a lot of flux recently and this stuff tends to add up.

We shall see.
[Reply]
Pants 12:24 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by DeezNutz:
The SEC would kill a mediocre STD.
:-)
[Reply]
kstater 12:25 PM 10-07-2011
Didn't - what's your point?

Rich Rodriguez did some great things for the program. When last I checked, he was gone. And it wasn't exactly the prettiest ending down there in Morgantown.

Last season they did a decent job beating on a really awful conference...then their coach got run out of town. Maybe the new guy really is an offensive genius (he has a lot of Leach in him), but I do know that the program has been in a lot of flux recently and this stuff tends to add up.

We shall see.
You said "over the last decade Mizzou is a better program or at least on par than WVU"

By any metric they aren't.

Wins over the last decade: Mizzou 77 WVU 88
[Reply]
Page 266 of 726
« First < 166216256262263264265266 267268269270276316366 > Last »
Up