ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 262 of 300
« First < 162212252258259260261262 263264265266272 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***** Official '23/'24 KU Men's Basketball Repository Thread *****
cmh6476 02:01 PM 04-10-2023
The Team:

https://kuathletics.com/sports/mbball/roster/

The Schedule:

https://kuathletics.com/sports/mbball/schedule/
[Reply]
KC_Connection 06:30 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Which player will you remember most fondly?

McCullar
Legerald Vick
Silvio DeSousa
JR Giddens
CJ Giles
Not Vick.
[Reply]
DJay23 06:32 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I will be actively rooting for McCullar to fail at the next level. I always cheer for former Jayhawks in the pros but won't be for Kevin McQuitlar Jr
Kevin hardly rates as Jayhawks go. He could have endeared himself to KU fans by fighting through it in the tournament. It's not like we watched him grow into an All American. Hell he even came from a conference rival so for half of his career I rooted against him.

It's easy for us old guys behind our keyboards saying stuff like, "I would have played through the pain for the glory of Old KU!" It's a matter of perspective. I would do that (I think).

From his perspective, if he thinks he has a shot at a payday, he can't afford to play at less than 100% and continue to look as bad as he has since he was first hurt. Especially under the brightest lights. I don't blame him for his decision. I'd be much more upset if we were a higher seed and his injury was only marginally hampering his performance.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 06:33 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by DJay23:
That's my read as well. It's a shame for us as fans, but from his perspective I understand the decision.

It just reminds me that I'm getting older that I can remember a day when guys used to play for their coach, teammates, school, and then themselves.
It’s gonna happen more and more often at this level unfortunately. McCullar came back for one reason only and that was to show scouts that his game was good enough for the league.

Failed miserably at that though IMO and I don’t think any injury excuse is gonna save his draft stock, but he’s taking a shot.
[Reply]
BWillie 06:36 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
What’s the next level? Are you going to be actively following his games in Turkey?
Yes. I will fly over and heckle him.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:37 PM 03-19-2024
That's my read as well. It's a shame for us as fans, but from his perspective I understand the decision.

It just reminds me that I'm getting older that I can remember a day when guys used to play for their coach, teammates, school, and then themselves.
Yeah, if you go back to 1980, the highest paid players made $1,000,000... inflation-adjusted to $4,000,000 today. Average was $173k, which is ~$700k today. Minimum $70k or $300k today.

Just the average salary today is $9.7 million and the league minimum is a million dollars.

They made a good living 40+ years ago, but just getting into the league for a few years didn't set you for life.
[Reply]
DJay23 06:40 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
It’s gonna happen more and more often at this level unfortunately. McCullar came back for one reason only and that was to show scouts that his game was good enough for the league.

Failed miserably at that though IMO and I don’t think any injury excuse is gonna save his draft stock, but he’s taking a shot.
Yeah, it feels like spin control now. He was having a great year until he got hurt and I think I read he was projected in the first round (I don't follow that stuff because I don't follow the NBA closely).

I don't think I would bail like that personally, but I'm not him, and he doesn't have to answer to me.
[Reply]
SithCeNtZ 06:46 PM 03-19-2024
Kevin hardly rates as Jayhawks go. He could have endeared himself to KU fans by fighting through it in the tournament. It's not like we watched him grow into an All American. Hell he even came from a conference rival so for half of his career I rooted against him.

It's easy for us old guys behind our keyboards saying stuff like, "I would have played through the pain for the glory of Old KU!" It's a matter of perspective. I would do that (I think).

From his perspective, if he thinks he has a shot at a payday, he can't afford to play at less than 100% and continue to look as bad as he has since he was first hurt. Especially under the brightest lights. I don't blame him for his decision. I'd be much more upset if we were a higher seed and his injury was only marginally hampering his performance.
Good post and that's where I am at too. I also think your last paragraph has been kind of lost on the KU fanbase. He's been really bad since the game at kstate and is clearly hobbled. He's shooting 32% from 2 and 24% from 3 and he has basically stopped going to the ft line other than some random plays against a Kstate team that had quit. Even if he tries to play through this, this isn't the same guy we had when we beat all of those other good teams. Are we going to remember him far more fondly if he plays thursday and goes 3-14 and we lose by 5? Not really. The situation sucks and it just is what it is at this point.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 06:46 PM 03-19-2024
Yeah, it feels like spin control now. He was having a great year until he got hurt and I think I read he was projected in the first round (I don't follow that stuff because I don't follow the NBA closely).

I don't think I would bail like that personally, but I'm not him, and he doesn't have to answer to me.
I don’t think he would have ever been a 1st round pick no matter what he did (NBA teams don’t exactly go out of their way to use assets up on 23 year old guards with a track record of not being able to shoot), but he was shooting significantly better up until mid season and he/his team can sell that his decline in that area was because of the knee now (and not because he just generally still sucks at shooting). Again, I’m skeptical that he will have any success with that but he’s taking his only real shot left at a NBA career of any kind.
[Reply]
Ceej 06:48 PM 03-19-2024
Least stressful March in my entire life.

And I'm perfectly okay with it.
[Reply]
BWillie 06:48 PM 03-19-2024

Now that NIL is allowed yes he does have to answer to you and any other fan that buys tickets, apparel, and Jayhawk memorabilia.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 06:49 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ:
Good post and that's where I am at too. I also think your last paragraph has been kind of lost on the KU fanbase. He's been really bad since the game at kstate and is clearly hobbled. He's shooting 32% from 2 and 24% from 3 and he has basically stopped going to the ft line other than some random plays against a Kstate team that had quit. Even if he tries to play through this, this isn't the same guy we had when we beat all of those other good teams. Are we going to remember him far more fondly if he plays thursday and goes 3-14 and we lose by 5? Not really. The situation sucks and it just is what it is at this point.
I mean, I absolutely would, yeah. Showing up counts for something.

I understand the decision but I think he will come to regret it down the road given the impact this will have on the program/fans when his likely mediocre career comes to an end.
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 06:55 PM 03-19-2024
Well, if the Jayhawks get bounced this weekend, at least we have the Royals to look forward to next weekend, amiright? :-)
[Reply]
DJay23 06:57 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Now that NIL is allowed yes he does have to answer to you and any other fan that buys tickets, apparel, and Jayhawk memorabilia.
Nah, he gets to make his decision and move on. I'll keep rooting for Old KU regardless.
[Reply]
Pablo 06:57 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm:
Well, if the Jayhawks get bounced this weekend, at least we have the Royals to look forward to next weekend, amiright? :-)
I am thankful I switched tv providers so I’m not tempted to watch those losers
[Reply]
DJay23 07:00 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm:
Absolutely! I love having a ballgame on, even if the Royals stink. I expect them to be more competitive this season, which won't take a whole lot.
[Reply]
Page 262 of 300
« First < 162212252258259260261262 263264265266272 > Last »
Up