ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 34
« First < 162223242526 27282930 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2020(1) Tokyo Olympics Thread****
Pablo 06:45 PM 07-23-2021
Opening ceremony happening now. Consider this your repository for all things olympics.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:40 AM 08-05-2021
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
My comment was regarding a reason why ratings are down.
If people see the results in the morning, don't you think they are less likely to watch that evening?
Doesn't mean there aren't good races...just that people are less likely to tune into them.
Yea, the huge time difference is a major factor. NBCs coverage has been choppy between live and tape delayed. I do prefer watching on their sister channels and apps over their main channel. Less commercials and more live stuff.
[Reply]
Dull Tools 08:58 AM 08-05-2021
Originally Posted by Lzen:
So what, in your mind, constitutes "doing well"?

Last I checked, US is first in medals. Sure, we're second in gold medals to China and that does suck. But US has a ton more silver and bronze than China and leads overall, 79-70.
The US aren't first in the medal table. China is.

The table is in order of gold medals won.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 09:11 AM 08-05-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Yea, the huge time difference is a major factor. NBCs coverage has been choppy between live and tape delayed. I do prefer watching on their sister channels and apps over their main channel. Less commercials and more live stuff.
That is correct. We've spent most of our viewing time on USA or the app.
[Reply]
Dayze 09:13 AM 08-05-2021
my wife and I are typically huge Olympic fans; but man, we just could not get into this year. We recorded a to of coverage, but was just too frustrating to watch. Didn't deal with the apps or any other method other than what came on the TV.

I think we ended up deleting a ton of recordings.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:39 AM 08-05-2021
Originally Posted by Dull Tools:
The US aren't first in the medal table. China is.

The table is in order of gold medals won.
I don't know what you're talking about. According to this, the US has 91 total medals (gold, silver, and bronze combined) compared to China's 2nd place of 74. Also, US has closed the gap on gold at 34-29.

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olym...-standings.htm
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:32 AM 08-05-2021
I think it’s obvious that any ratings issues are tied directly to time zone differences. It takes a lot of effort to go 12 hours of your actual awake time to not see or find out the results of a race or event and wait until watching them later. It might be different if the discrepancy occurred such that you slept through the waiting.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 05:25 PM 08-05-2021
Why is walking an Olympic sport? Or even a competitive sport?
That might be the dumbest Olympic sport, although I'm not really sure why synchronized diving needs to exist.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:45 PM 08-05-2021
That might be the dumbest Olympic sport, although I'm not really sure why synchronized diving needs to exist.
walking is still there?:-)
[Reply]
theoldcoach 07:33 PM 08-05-2021
Hey……we agree on something!
[Reply]
cosmo20002 07:55 PM 08-05-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
walking is still there?:-)
Yes, and everyone cheats.

The main rule is that part of one foot must be on the ground at all times. Even I could see some who are essentially jogging. There are a handful of judges watching, but they can't see everything, and unless it is extremely egregious, it seemed that you could get up to 4 warnings before getting DQ'd. In the 20 minutes I watched, several were DQ'd and many seemed comfortable seeing what they could get away with until they got a couple of warnings.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:12 PM 08-05-2021
Yes, and everyone cheats.

The main rule is that part of one foot must be on the ground at all times. Even I could see some who are essentially jogging. There are a handful of judges watching, but they can't see everything, and unless it is extremely egregious, it seemed that you could get up to 4 warnings before getting DQ'd. In the 20 minutes I watched, several were DQ'd and many seemed comfortable seeing what they could get away with until they got a couple of warnings.
You lasted 20 minutes?

I lasted like 10 seconds before I noped out of that.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:15 PM 08-05-2021
Congrats April/Alix - Gold in beach volley!!
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:18 PM 08-05-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Congrats April/Alix - Gold in beach volley!!
:-)

They're not as purely technically dominant as Walsh/May, but fuck they're good.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:18 PM 08-05-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
You lasted 20 minutes?

I lasted like 10 seconds before I noped out of that.
Weirdest 'brush with greatness' in my life. My professor/advisor in undergrad was married to an Olympic Medalist in walking. Met him and got to see/touch the medal at an intern dinner she hosted. Had no idea it even existed as a sport until that point.

Dr. Candace Young at Truman State.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:34 PM 08-05-2021
Can anyone confirm when the gold medal USA vs France game is in USA Central time? And if it is televised at a different time than actually played, when is it? They've done a terrible job of marketing the marquee events. Ive read 3 different places the time of the game...all different. And not on my YouTube TV TV guide.
[Reply]
Page 26 of 34
« First < 162223242526 27282930 > Last »
Up