ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 258 of 469
« First < 158208248254255256257258 259260261262268308358 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 08:30 PM 07-23-2022

Brady Singer's sinker/slider combo (3-part video)

1: Why would Ji-Man Choi swing at this slider for Strike 3?

2: Because the pitch before, Singer threw a 94 mph sinker that also started at Choi's knee but broke 14" inches onto the corner

3: Sinker ➡️ slider sequence overlaid pic.twitter.com/72ZTktef4R

— David Adler (@_dadler) July 24, 2022

[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:42 PM 07-23-2022
Originally Posted by tk13:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 07:02 AM 07-24-2022
Originally Posted by Fansy the Famous Bard:
Singer looks like he is figuring some stuff out. Do we give Eldred any credit?
Amazing how adding a third pitch (even if it is just for show) can make you a much better pitcher, huh Brady?

No, Cal gets no credit. He’s been here 2 years with him and wasn’t able to persuade him to start throwing it regularly. You wanna give credit to anyone for it, send it Zach Greinke’s way. He’s been talking pitching with Brady since he got here and was the one that influenced and persuaded him to start throwing it more regularly.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:31 AM 07-24-2022
Bobby Witt Jr probably needs to move to 3B eventually. He can make the flashy play sometimes but the metrics say hes the worst defensive SS in the game. Both by fielding percentage and defensive war he is dead last out of all the MLB at that position. The defense has not been up to the billing, we need to be honest.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/playe...WARBR/dir/desc
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 08:10 AM 07-24-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Bobby Witt Jr probably needs to move to 3B eventually. He can make the flashy play sometimes but the metrics say hes the worst defensive SS in the game. Both by fielding percentage and defensive war he is dead last out of all the MLB at that position. The defense has not been up to the billing, we need to be honest.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/playe...WARBR/dir/desc
Is it a little concerning? Yeah. But some additional things to consider here. Melendez was known as a defense first catcher before his bat came around last year in his development. This year he is also dead last in DWAR for all major league catchers. Has he struggled? Yeah. Do I think he’s the worst defensive catcher in the Majors? No. Some of the problem is these guys are both rookies. You gotta give them some time to adjust to the speed of MLB. It’s a different animal up here.

But, to add to that, Beni (a gold glove winner last year), is among the worst defensive LFer’s this year, per DWAR. Whit and Nicky Lopez, both guys that have provided plus defense at 2B, are BOTH near the bottom this year. What does it all mean? I’m not sure exactly, but it’s no secret that Matheny’s Cards teams were amongst the worst defensive teams in baseball when he was there. Do I think that the poor defense this years falls all on Matheny and his staff? No. Players gotta play. But do I think the attention to detail is being paid to it that need to be, especially for a team like the Royals? No, I don’t.

So I think there’s fault all the way around. Players, coaches all bear some responsibility. That said, I’m not gonna freak out over some struggles their rookie season when both MJ and Witt have almost always previously been plus defensive players. They are just rookies. I think they’ll both come around eventually.
[Reply]
Archie Bunker 08:14 AM 07-24-2022
Don’t most young SS have some shit years defensively just like young QBs and INTs? I’m too lazy to find the stats but doesn’t really seem too out of whack to me.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:56 AM 07-24-2022
I don't think it's a bad idea to consider moving Witt off of SS, if the alternative is a better defender and has a credible bat (IE I'm not sure it's Nicky Lopez).

But, he also has played 60 games there, so it's hard to evaluate much from the fielding stats. They take longer than that to normalize and really mean something. But neither BRef or Fangraphs like his fielding (fangraphs especially hates his range).

I haven't seen a BAD defender when I've watched. I think his arm is a real plus at the position, and he has good hands. Having a better defensive 1B than most of the turds the Royals have trotted out (Ryan O'Hearn and Santana) would likely cut his error rate and help his overall numbers, too.

tl;dr It's too early to tell, but KC should be open to moving him to 3B if a better defensive SS is acquired.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:16 PM 07-24-2022
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker:
Don’t most young SS have some shit years defensively just like young QBs and INTs? I’m too lazy to find the stats but doesn’t really seem too out of whack to me.

Derek Jeter started off badly.

[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:18 PM 07-24-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I don't think it's a bad idea to consider moving Witt off of SS, if the alternative is a better defender and has a credible bat (IE I'm not sure it's Nicky Lopez).

But, he also has played 60 games there, so it's hard to evaluate much from the fielding stats. They take longer than that to normalize and really mean something. But neither BRef or Fangraphs like his fielding (fangraphs especially hates his range).

I haven't seen a BAD defender when I've watched. I think his arm is a real plus at the position, and he has good hands. Having a better defensive 1B than most of the turds the Royals have trotted out (Ryan O'Hearn and Santana) would likely cut his error rate and help his overall numbers, too.

tl;dr It's too early to tell, but KC should be open to moving him to 3B if a better defensive SS is acquired.

Just get Volpe from the Yankees & problem solved.

[Reply]
lewdog 12:20 PM 07-24-2022
I wish Whit didn’t suck so bad and tank his trade value this year.
[Reply]
Pablo 12:28 PM 07-24-2022
20th steal for jr
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 12:29 PM 07-24-2022
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Just get Volpe from the Yankees & problem solved.

Volpe is untouchable from the Yankees. They won't for Soto even.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:34 PM 07-24-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Volpe is untouchable from the Yankees. They won't for Soto even.

How about Benintendi & Barlow for Oswald Peraza & Ken Waldichuk?

[Reply]
DeepSouth 12:38 PM 07-24-2022
Anyone know why Nicky replaced Bobby when they took the field in the 2nd?
[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:45 PM 07-24-2022
Originally Posted by DeepSouth:
Anyone know why Nicky replaced Bobby when they took the field in the 2nd?

Bobby Witt Jr. has exited the game in the second inning. No reason given yet. Nicky Lopez enters at shortstop.

Hope Bobby Witt Jr. is ok after coming out of this game. Tough to tell if it was a quad or shoulder or what. Gingerly moved into 3rd on a tag up, had just stolen 2B during the PA.

[Reply]
Page 258 of 469
« First < 158208248254255256257258 259260261262268308358 > Last »
Up