View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 252 of 343
« First < 152202242248249250251252 253254255256262302 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:37 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by DRM08:
I think KC should offer him a really strong guaranteed number in exchange for a reasonable average salary instead of absolute top dollar salary. Something like 6 years for $126M ($21M per year) with $100M fully guaranteed...

If he is demanding top dollar salary no matter what, he probably needs to leave.
I certainly wouldn't hate that, but I'm not OBJ.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:40 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Teams learned from the Tunsil debacle, at least as it related to the draft compensation.

The market then ain't the market now. Hell, other teams learned from the Frank Clark situation.

Things have changed, IMO.
Teams never learn my dude. If they want someone, they make it happen.

Look at some of the absurd trades and contracts for WRs last year.

In the end though, the overwhelming truth is that KC currently holds the trump cards.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:41 PM 11-30-2022
Teams learned from the Tunsil debacle, at least as it related to the draft compensation.

The market then ain't the market now. Hell, other teams learned from the Frank Clark situation.

Things have changed, IMO.
Paton must have missed that meeting.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:43 PM 11-30-2022
I think KC should offer him a really strong guaranteed number in exchange for a reasonable average salary instead of absolute top dollar salary. Something like 6 years for $126M ($21M per year) with $100M fully guaranteed...

If he is demanding top dollar salary no matter what, he probably needs to leave.
I don't mind 4 years of effective guarantees at about $22 million/season with some filler thrown in to get him to like $25 million.

So, what's that amount to? 6/$150 w/ the last two years being at like $29 and $33 million or something equally silly.

Admittedly, it's reaching my puke point. AND it's contingent on him continuing to play well (as I have noted that I believe he HAS played well the last 5+ weeks).

That absolutely re-sets the T market. It's the highest in practical guarantees ever offered by a ton. It's the highest AAV ever offered. It's the highest total value. It's a new standard at T.

And it's going to cost us, what, $6 million more against the cap than he made this year on average? $2 million more than he'd make on the tag for a single season? A figure that will flip on its head as early as year 2 of the deal?

It's an enormous deal but it's a deal that won't seem so enormous as quickly as the 2nd year. And do I think he'd sign it? Yeah, I do. And if he doesn't - well shit folks, who here is saying to hand him a blank check?

And if he goes back to playing like he did in weeks 2-4, it's all moot because again, as I said, I'm happy a decision doesn't have to be made now because it's pretty much impossible to do so. There's a LOT of time left here, folks.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 04:45 PM 11-30-2022
Most of us probably agree that OBJ is fine, but we’d like a better LT. We also acknowledge that there isn’t a realistic path to upgrading over him.

Hopefully, he likes it here and he’s reasonable.

Let’s win a Super Bowl first though. That’ll make whatever happens easier to swallow.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:46 PM 11-30-2022
I'm sorry, but what? He played like fucking shit against the Titans.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:48 PM 11-30-2022

He won't likely sign it. They probably need to take last year's deal and at least pump up the back-end years with salary vesting guarantees as a minimum and decrease the load on the final year of the deal. From what I can gather, they also need to pump up the total guaranteed at signing. Most deals for elite players are at 45%+ in total guaranteed at signing.

If I'd look somewhere for reference, it'd be Ronnie Stanley's deal and add a 6th year to it for about 40 million. You'd probably at least start getting into the ballpark.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:50 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Most of us probably agree that OBJ is fine, but we’d like a better LT. We also acknowledge that there isn’t a realistic path to upgrading over him.

Let’s win a Super Bowl first though. That’ll make whatever happens easier to swallow.
That's the problem, though. Nothing he did during the negotiating process last offseason could be regarded as reasonable. Didn't even find an agent until crunch time then came to the table and said 'give me a market resetting contract, fully guaranteed, or no deal'. Hence, the Chiefs publicly coming out and saying how disappointed and frustrated they were with him. Why would it be drastically different this time around?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:51 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I'm sorry, but what? He played like fucking shit against the Titans.
I completely disagree and am pretty sure I said so at the time.

EDIT:

I did:

I'm doing my standard re-watch thing and really, the broadcast is telling me some of the same things I saw at the stadium.

Brown was fine. Hell, I think Brown was actually pretty good. He got beat by Mario Edwards pretty badly on that overthrow to Kelce and had a hand in one of those sacks, but by and large, he played a strong game. I think Thuney was our best OL (unsurprisingly) but I think OBJ was right there behind him.

Wylie was bad but fellas - Trey Smith was worse.

The combined effect of those two guys has hurt us badly all year. Folks keep wanting to get Wylie out of there and yeah, I get it. But man, Trey Smith is doing nobody any favors and when the right side of the line is just collapsing on any given play, it makes things awfully tough.
And I certainly was not on any sort of 'sign OBJ' kick at the time. I just try to view what's in front of me.

He was solid in that game.
[Reply]
Balto 04:52 PM 11-30-2022
I don't mind 4 years of effective guarantees at about $22 million/season with some filler thrown in to get him to like $25 million.

So, what's that amount to? 6/$150 w/ the last two years being at like $29 and $33 million or something equally silly.

Admittedly, it's reaching my puke point. AND it's contingent on him continuing to play well (as I have noted that I believe he HAS played well the last 5+ weeks).

That absolutely re-sets the T market. It's the highest in practical guarantees ever offered by a ton. It's the highest AAV ever offered. It's the highest total value. It's a new standard at T.

And it's going to cost us, what, $6 million more against the cap than he made this year on average? $2 million more than he'd make on the tag for a single season? A figure that will flip on its head as early as year 2 of the deal?

It's an enormous deal but it's a deal that won't seem so enormous as quickly as the 2nd year. And do I think he'd sign it? Yeah, I do. And if he doesn't - well shit folks, who here is saying to hand him a blank check?

And if he goes back to playing like he did in weeks 2-4, it's all moot because again, as I said, I'm happy a decision doesn't have to be made now because it's pretty much impossible to do so. There's a LOT of time left here, folks.
You can't start going down that path of "Oh whats another $6M". That will add up fast and start the snowball effect of other players wanting their overpayment because they just saw OBJ get overpaid.....whats another $6M?

I actually think that if OBJ agrees to only $23/24 a year thats him coming down from what he really wants. Reports are Veach offered like $18M.

I still think Veach going for a tag/trade and then making him play on a 2nd tag is the most likely options.

I'm not sure who it was but someone mentioned awhile back that we should look at trading OBJ to a run heavy team and the Lions came up as an example and we would get Sewell, again as just an example.
[Reply]
Balto 04:53 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:

Sounds like a plan!
[Reply]
DRM08 04:54 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
He won't likely sign it. They probably need to take last year's deal and at least pump up the back-end years with salary vesting guarantees as a minimum and decrease the load on the final year of the deal. From what I can gather, they also need to pump up the total guaranteed at signing. Most deals for elite players are at 45%+ in total guaranteed at signing.

If I'd look somewhere for reference, it'd be Ronnie Stanley's deal and add a 6th year to it for about 40 million. You'd probably at least start getting into the ballpark.
I said $100 million fully guaranteed, which is 55% higher than Stanley's guaranteed money. $100M guaranteed for Orlando is a pretty damn generous offer considering Stanley is a far better player than Orlando.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:54 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Balto:
You can't start going down that path of "Oh whats another $6M". That will add up fast and start the snowball effect of other players wanting their overpayment because they just saw OBJ get overpaid.....whats another $6M?

I actually think that if OBJ agrees to only $23/24 a year thats him coming down from what he really wants. Reports are Veach offered like $18M.

I still think Veach going for a tag/trade and then making him play on a 2nd tag is the most likely options.

I'm not sure who it was but someone mentioned awhile back that we should look at trading OBJ to a run heavy team and the Lions came up as an example and we would get Sewell, again as just an example.
I don't disagree.

But when the alternative is Mike McGlinchy at LT, you may just not have a great alternative. Gritting your teeth and making it work within a salary structure you've already established is sometimes how that sausage has to get made.
[Reply]
Balto 04:58 PM 11-30-2022
I don't disagree.

But when the alternative is Mike McGlinchy at LT, you may just not have a great alternative. Gritting your teeth and making it work within a salary structure you've already established is sometimes how that sausage has to get made.
100% correct and thats why the best option will probably be for Veach to tag him a 2nd time and look at replacing him or working on signing him yet again after the 2023 season.
[Reply]
Balto 05:01 PM 11-30-2022
I said $100 million fully guaranteed, which is 55% higher than Stanley's guaranteed money. $100M guaranteed for Orlando is a pretty damn generous offer considering Stanley is a far better player than Orlando.
6 years correct?
[Reply]
Page 252 of 343
« First < 152202242248249250251252 253254255256262302 > Last »
Up