View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 249 of 343
« First < 149199239245246247248249 250251252253259299 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:16 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Balto:
Then that would go against everything he has put out to the media about football and why he plays.

Again he would not sit out
Dude elected not to sign a long-term deal because it didn't guarantee him levels of guaranteed money that had never been offered to a LT.

Who cares what "he has put out to the media..."

It seems clear that, at worst, he sees money as a proxy for respect. So even if it's 'respect' he's demanding, the idea that he'd simply not play rather than be disrespected doesn't seem far out there at all.
[Reply]
Balto 03:20 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Not for 2023 it's not. A multiyear deal would likely be half (or more) of the tag number for 2023.
I totally understand that the structure of the contract can be worked so that 2023 can be very lean but again you're just kicking the can down the road and we have proof that OBJ and his agent will not accept a contract that shows fluff years at the end just to make it look good on paper. Any long term deal will have signing bonus and guaranteed money. OBJ has shown he wants the most and Veach has shown he doesn't want to pay him that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:20 PM 11-30-2022
Veach has already shown that he isn't willing to make OBJ the highest paid LT in the NFL. OBJ passed on Veaches offer and is playing under the tag. OBJ has again not played close to the "top LT in the NFL" standards and again Veach will not want to pay him as such. Not hard
Y'all continue to operate under the mistaken belief that teams pay only the best player 'top of the market money'.

That's simply not the case. When it comes to a scarce resource like LT and a very large pool of interested parties, the market doesn't hold true. It doesn't act as any sort of representation of who the best players are. It's nothing more than a statement of who the best AVAILABLE players are.

Is he the best LT in football? Nope. But would he be the best LT readily available in the last 2-3 years (or the next couple)? Yeah, probably.

And with upward pressures of the rising cap, even a contract like the one Williams signed is old news.
[Reply]
Balto 03:21 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Dude elected not to sign a long-term deal because it didn't guarantee him levels of guaranteed money that had never been offered to a LT.

Who cares what "he has put out to the media..."

It seems clear that, at worst, he sees money as a proxy for respect. So even if it's 'respect' he's demanding, the idea that he'd simply not play rather than be disrespected doesn't seem far out there at all.
So Veach should give him the money he wants and makes him the highest paid LT in the NFL? OR let him walk for free?
[Reply]
Balto 03:23 PM 11-30-2022
Y'all continue to operate under the mistaken belief that teams pay only the best player 'top of the market money'.

That's simply not the case. When it comes to a scarce resource like LT and a very large pool of interested parties, the market doesn't hold true. It doesn't act as any sort of representation of who the best players are. It's nothing more than a statement of who the best AVAILABLE players are.

Is he the best LT in football? Nope. But would he be the best LT readily available in the last 2-3 years (or the next couple)? Yeah, probably.

And with upward pressures of the rising cap, even a contract like the one Williams signed is old news.
Ok if true why didn't Veach go ahead and pay OBJ what he wanted? EXACTLY!
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 03:25 PM 11-30-2022
Yeah, the logic being put forth here makes a tag and trade much more likely. Hell, we traded away an actual HOF talent because he wanted the same thing Brown wants.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:26 PM 11-30-2022
So Veach should give him the money he wants and makes him the highest paid LT in the NFL? OR let him walk for free?
Season ain't over yet - I've already said that he's simply kept the door open for the discussion through his improvement in play over the last several weeks.

I don't think you can make a decision yet.

But if he plays for the remainder of the year at the same level he's played the last 3-5 weeks? Yeah - I think you go ahead and bite the bullet. Structure matters, etc...

But this is a young player who's demonstrated improvement in key areas that the team has specifically requested he address. He's demonstrating more familiarity in the offense. He's looking better as the season has gone on and by a fair amount.

Moreover, he's been historically extremely durable and OL tend to hit their effective prime years in their late 20s/early 30s. He's not even as good as he'll ever be.

So ultimately I think the hope should be that he continues to play this well and gets the LTC here. And if not, at least improves his value to the point that a tag/trade becomes a reasonable option.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:27 PM 11-30-2022
Ok if true why didn't Veach go ahead and pay OBJ what he wanted? EXACTLY!
Because he didn't have to. He had another season worth of leverage.

I don't believe that leverage exists to nearly the same degree at this point. OBJ's incentive to sign is less given that he's already 'secured a bag' and the Chiefs willingness to pay him on the tag this year will be less because he's due a significant increase in salary.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:31 PM 11-30-2022
With very little upside baked into the cake.

Whereas if you give him a 'top of the market' deal over 5 years, there's a solid chance that it sorts its way down the list a little as the deal goes on and even a non-zero chance that he improves as a player.
I certainly hope KC works out a long term deal and Brown improves as a player or at least plays at a level to make the contract reasonable.

But given Brown's inconsistent play and the history of the contract talks so far, there is certainly a non-zero chance he gets worse after signing a fat guaranteed contract. Which when it involves such a huge cap hit is a really big deal.

So maybe his poor play was from a knee injury or losing weight. Is he going to stay at his current weight and health going forward? Will a bit of weight gain or the usual nagging injuries mean speed rushers will blow by him again?

It has to at least be a worry.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 03:32 PM 11-30-2022
Wait, why are we treating this recent little stretch of games as anything special? He had MULTIPLE stretches of this caliber last season where he'd go a couple of weeks allowing 1 or 2 pressures overall to shitty EDGE talent. Again, injury devastated Chargers and decrepit Rams. This really isn't untouched ground for him.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:34 PM 11-30-2022
Season ain't over yet - I've already said that he's simply kept the door open for the discussion through his improvement in play over the last several weeks.

But if he plays for the remainder of the year at the same level he's played the last 3-5 weeks? Yeah - I think you go ahead and bite the bullet. Structure matters, etc...

But this is a young player who's demonstrated improvement in key areas that the team has specifically requested he address. He's demonstrating more familiarity in the offense. He's looking better as the season has gone on and by a fair amount.

Moreover, he's been historically extremely durable and OL tend to hit their effective prime years in their late 20s/early 30s. He's not even as good as he'll ever be.

So ultimately I think the hope should be that he continues to play this well and gets the LTC here. And if not, at least improves his value to the point that a tag/trade becomes a reasonable option.
Let's hope so.
[Reply]
Balto 03:35 PM 11-30-2022

Actually great points and I agree. I just don't think OBJ will agree to sign for what Veach offers even if it makes him the highest paid LT "on paper" like was actually reported because OBJ and his agent wanted more guarantees.

Also....now your ok with a tag and trade?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:36 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Wait, why are we treating this recent little stretch of games as anything special? He had MULTIPLE stretches of this caliber last season where he'd go a couple of weeks allowing 1 or 2 pressures overall to shitty EDGE talent. Again, injury devastated Chargers and decrepit Rams. This really isn't untouched ground for him.
Are we?

Saying he's showing a pattern of improvement that demonstrates the ability to play at an upper echelon level isn't closing the book on anything.

Y'all are the ones that made up your minds some time ago here...
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:36 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Because we are really going to melt down when he is the highest paid LT having a mediocre stretch.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:37 PM 11-30-2022
Actually great points and I agree. I just don't think OBJ will agree to sign for what Veach offers even if it makes him the highest paid LT "on paper" like was actually reported because OBJ and his agent wanted more guarantees.

Also....now your ok with a tag and trade?
Was I ever not?

Nothing bad can come of him playing well. Either he demonstrates a level of performance here that makes re-signing him a good thing or he builds trade value to the point that a tag/trade seems a viable option.
There's gonna be a LOT of money in the system and some teams that need an LT who don't want to wade into the mud of unrestricted FA.

You could get him tagged/traded, especially at his present level of play.
But those are definitely the top 3 items on my 'to do' list this offseason. Then you attack the DL and WR corps in the draft. And if you can't get a deal done with Brown by the draft, I honestly think you have to trade him. Because he has so damn much leverage in that event that you are truly up shits creek if he decides he wants to blow the market apart.

[Reply]
Page 249 of 343
« First < 149199239245246247248249 250251252253259299 > Last »
Up