View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 248 of 343
« First < 148198238244245246247248 249250251252258298 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
Balto 02:39 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
3. There are very limited options as a backup plan. There’s nobody available in FA and the #1 projected LT Olumuyiwa Fashanu is going back to Penn St next year. Paris Johnson from Ohio St is now the 2nd ranked LT after Skoronski and this mother****er just started playing LT this year.

If anything you’ll probably see Broderick Jones pass him up throughout the draft process and be picked in the top 15 where we can’t get him.

The options appear to be very limited..
I don't see why tagging him can't be the main and backup option. Besides Bell, which failed, what player has refused to play under the tag? It's like a 1% chance that OBJ would sit out.

If he still wants to be the highest paid LT why would Veach do anything else but tag him?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:40 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
:-) Based on what? Him and his agent bloviating about possibly missing games last year? When it came time to actually follow through, he didn't even miss TRAINING CAMP. If it comes down to it and we tag him again, he's free to huff and puff all he wants about missing games. Brown was playing barely above replacement level for much of the early season anyway, so we'd eventually end up right back where we are if he did decide to sit out. Or a team had their OT get hurt and got desperate enough to throw us a premier pick or two for him.
He'd made $7 million in his career last season.

He's now made $23 million.

Tell me that doesn't change the 'holdout' calculation substantially.

Kid has money in the bank now - a LOT of it. If he doesn't want to play on the tag, he doesn't have to. He never has to play football again if he doesn't want to.

That's the real risk of tagging someone even one time - you put enough money in their pocket that their leverage is significantly increased the next time around.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:41 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
The charge against the cap would still be there but we'd get credit in 2024 for games he missed.
Correct.

You'd have a cap hold and subsequent cap credits for the following season. It's not nothing and you can move money here and there if absolutely necessary, but it's FAR less than ideal.
[Reply]
Balto 02:42 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Kid has money in the bank now - a LOT of it. If he doesn't want to play on the tag, he doesn't have to. He never has to play football again if he doesn't want to.

That's the real risk of tagging someone even one time - you put enough money in their pocket that their leverage is significantly increased the next time around.
Are you serious? Seriously gonna say that OBJ would retire from football before playing under the tag again? Seriously man hahaha
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:49 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Balto:
I don't see why tagging him can't be the main and backup option. Besides Bell, which failed, what player has refused to play under the tag? It's like a 1% chance that OBJ would sit out.

If he still wants to be the highest paid LT why would Veach do anything else but tag him?
Dude approached the biggest payday of his life by not hiring an agent until the 11th hour.

You think 'normal' applies here?

The other thing he could do is sit ass until week 9 and then report, forcing KC to pay him his pro-rated tag amount to get himself into shape. And yeah, he'd probably beat the holy piss out of his financial viability doing that, but again - this isn't someone I'm comfortable saying WOULDN'T go scorched earth on something like this. I mean if he signs the tag in week 9, he banks another $10 million or so next season and boom - $33 million in career earnings w/ zero fucks given as to his long-term financial standing.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:49 PM 11-30-2022

You do realize if they tag him again and he plays, he's getting a guaranteed salary equal to the average of the top 3 players at his position, right? He's going to become the highest-paid LT or close to it whether they tag him or he signs a new contract.

So if you tag him again, you're essentially giving him a 1-year top-of-market deal instead of a 3 or 5-year top-of-market deal. And that has profound effects on the immediate 2023 cap situation.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:50 PM 11-30-2022

That's why 2nd tags almost never happen.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:50 PM 11-30-2022
Are you serious? Seriously gonna say that OBJ would retire from football before playing under the tag again? Seriously man hahaha
No - I don't think it would come to that.

But I'm saying he'd have no issues at all not playing for a season and even taking a financial hit in the short term because of it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:51 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You do realize if they tag him again and he plays, he's getting a guaranteed salary equal to the average of the top 3 players at his position, right? He's going to become the highest-paid LT or close to it whether they tag him or he signs a new contract.

So if you tag him again, you're essentially giving him a 1-year top-of-market deal instead of a 3 or 5-year top-of-market deal. And that has profound effects on the immediate 2023 cap situation.
With very little upside baked into the cake.

Whereas if you give him a 'top of the market' deal over 5 years, there's a solid chance that it sorts its way down the list a little as the deal goes on and even a non-zero chance that he improves as a player.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:52 PM 11-30-2022
Dude approached the biggest payday of his life by not hiring an agent until the 11th hour.

You think 'normal' applies here?

The other thing he could do is sit ass until week 9 and then report, forcing KC to pay him his pro-rated tag amount to get himself into shape. And yeah, he'd probably beat the holy piss out of his financial viability doing that, but again - this isn't someone I'm comfortable saying WOULDN'T go scorched earth on something like this. I mean if he signs the tag in week 9, he banks another $10 million or so next season and boom - $33 million in career earnings w/ zero fucks given as to his long-term financial standing.
The dude believes he was born, and destined, to be a LT in the NFL. Nothing about this is "normal".
[Reply]
Balto 03:07 PM 11-30-2022

1 year of $23M is much better than giving him a 5 or 6 year deal worth that or more on average.
[Reply]
Balto 03:09 PM 11-30-2022
No - I don't think it would come to that.

But I'm saying he'd have no issues at all not playing for a season and even taking a financial hit in the short term because of it.
Then that would go against everything he has put out to the media about football and why he plays.

Again he would not sit out
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:09 PM 11-30-2022
1 year of $23M is much better than giving him a 5 or 6 year deal worth that or more on average.
Not for 2023 it's not. A multiyear deal would likely be half (or more) of the tag number for 2023.
[Reply]
Balto 03:12 PM 11-30-2022
The dude believes he was born, and destined, to be a LT in the NFL. Nothing about this is "normal".
Exactly why he wouldn't sit out.

He will be asking for the same amount OR more than what he did last off season. Veach can pay that for what he has done on the field. You tag him again, look for a trade while also look for a replacement, if no trade he plays under the tag for the 2ns straight year.

Simple
[Reply]
Balto 03:15 PM 11-30-2022
With very little upside baked into the cake.

Whereas if you give him a 'top of the market' deal over 5 years, there's a solid chance that it sorts its way down the list a little as the deal goes on and even a non-zero chance that he improves as a player.
Veach has already shown that he isn't willing to make OBJ the highest paid LT in the NFL. OBJ passed on Veaches offer and is playing under the tag. OBJ has again not played close to the "top LT in the NFL" standards and again Veach will not want to pay him as such. Not hard
[Reply]
Page 248 of 343
« First < 148198238244245246247248 249250251252258298 > Last »
Up