ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 248 of 469
« First < 148198238244245246247248 249250251252258298348 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
dlphg9 10:16 AM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Bigot
Lmao, pot meet kettle.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:20 AM 07-18-2022
RE: Sam Horn, he's not getting drafted today or until the 11th round.

No team is going to take a chance on losing slot money and a pick on a kid who's a tough sign.

If someone hops on him in the 11th round, worry. If he gets drafted in a later, random round, don't worry.

The former is a team that was planning to target him there. The latter is a team just taking a random stab and seeing what happens.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:42 AM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

No team is going to take a chance on losing slot money and a pick on a kid who's a tough sign.

If someone hops on him in the 11th round, worry. If he gets drafted in a later, random round, don't worry.

The former is a team that was planning to target him there. The latter is a team just taking a random stab and seeing what happens.
Yup.

Either he goes in the first 2 rounds and there's a big enough slot value there that a team can pull him from his commitment (BIG worry) or he goes really early in the post-penalty phase to a team that's saved some nickels on their slotted picks (Less worry - but still some through the end of round 11).

But yeah, if he's going in round 13-14, I'm not gonna lost sleep over it.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:17 AM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Bigot
Ah yes it's bigoted to think it's kinda ridiculous when in baseball talent matters and you care more about how the god question is answered. That's legit the only reason Matheny is this teams manager.

If the best player in the draft was an open atheist would the Royals take him? And if not isn't that a problem?
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:21 AM 07-18-2022
https://theathletic.com/3430798/2022...ft-day-1-2022/

Royals draft Gavin Cross, Cayden Wallace, opting for college bats and versatility

Alec Lewis

Originally Posted by :
He sat quietly on his couch Sunday night in Richmond, Va., and waited anxiously as the 2022 Major League Baseball Draft began. He knew his team, the Kansas City Royals, picked at No. 9. And he knew one specific player in his area, Virginia Tech outfielder Gavin Cross, could be an option. So he watched, fidgeting between picks, waiting for his phone to buzz.

Tim Bittner, the Royals’ area scout who covers much of the East Coast, had been through this before. He’s worked for the Houston Astros and the Chicago White Sox, covering a lot of miles, tracking down players at random ball fields, mining as many connections as possible for information. But rarely does it line up like this, especially at the top.

The names ticked off the board. Bittner’s attention heightened. And then, once the telecast announced that the Royals were on the clock, longtime Royals cross-checker Keith Connolly sent Bittner a congratulatory message.

“You hope you’re getting that text,” Bittner said. “But, yeah. It was great.”

Cross, a 21-year-old left-handed hitter whom the Royals will start as a center fielder, was one of two Royals selections Sunday night. A couple of hours after Bittner received the dreamy news, another Royals area scout, Matt Price, learned that the Royals were selecting a player he’d long scouted at No. 49: Arkansas third baseman Cayden Wallace, who is 20 years old.

The similarities between the two players picked were obvious: Both were college hitters and both possess defensive versatility. These facts were not a coincidence.

First, hear first-year scouting director Danny Ontiveros on the college hitter note: “I think there was a little bit of an emphasis on (college hitters) being that it was the strength of the draft. And you always want to attack the strength of the draft.”

Now, listen to Ontiveros discuss the versatility: “This is a big park. You’ve got to have guys with speed who can defend. That’s always something we’re going to target. It’s the way (Royals president of operations) Dayton Moore has built this club. We’ve won that way. And it’s always the goal.”

As it relates to the Royals’ overall whittling-down process, the timeline drifts back to the spring. Months ago, Ontiveros said, the club’s scouting staff met and confirmed that they were going to focus on the abundance of talented college hitters. From there, Ontiveros said they identified players they wanted to send cross-checkers to go see.

Cross and Wallace, included.

Fortunately, the Royals’ area scouts had a foundation with both players. Wallace was a highly touted high school player in Greenbrier, Ark., so Price had evaluated his strides both with the bat and in the field. Cross, meanwhile, had been on Bittner’s radar since he set foot on Virginia Tech’s campus.

“When he stepped on campus, I remember talking to (Virginia Tech) coach John Szefc and him saying, ‘Look, this guy is different. He’s wired differently,’” Bittner said. “He started throwing out some names he had coached in the past such as Jonathan Lucroy. He just said, ‘Look, man, this guy is different.’”

Scouts who are tight with particular coaches tend to buy in quickly, and Bittner’s relationship with Szefc actually dated to his own college days. Coincidentally, Szefc coached Bittner at Marist College.

“When a guy who’s your mentor says something like what he said about Gavin,” Bittner said, “it raises some eyebrows. You focus a little more.”

In 2021, while Bittner was evaluating a Virginia Tech series at Wake Forest, Cross went 6-for-14.

“He went off,” Bittner said. “And I remember sitting with coach Szefc later that afternoon, and saying like, ‘You know, you’re right. He is different.’”

Bittner specifically noted Cross’ swing, his power and his athleticism. All three displayed themselves last summer for Team USA, for which he hit four homers. This past spring, Cross played primarily in center field, which added another dimension to the scouting projection. Bittner road-tripped to Chapel Hill, N.C., to watch Cross play. He saw a series in Charlottesville, Va., as well.

There was a theme as Cross was embarking on a solid junior year, featuring a .328 (80-for-244) average, 17 home runs and 50 RBI in 57 games.

“He was one of those guys, at least for me, where every time I went to go watch him, he always performed,” Bittner said. “Every time. Contact. Power to all fields. Solid in center field. It was just, ‘What else do you need?’”

A few states to the west, Price stayed on Wallace, who was heading toward hitting .298 (82-for-275) with 16 home runs and 60 RBI in 67 games as a 20-year-old sophomore. Price even attended the College World Series and watched from a few rows behind home plate.

Throughout the scouting process for both players, as was planned in the spring, numerous Royals staffers confirmed the evaluations of Bittner and Price. Moore, whose son Robert was a teammate of Wallace’s at Arkansas, saw more of the Razorbacks than most. Longtime Royals executive Gene Watson was present for Wallace at the College World Series. And Ontiveros, whose scouting specialty is with hitters, pored through video of players such as Cross.

In the end, as the Royals mapped out their draft approach after trading their compensation pick to the Atlanta Braves last week, the Royals felt comfortable with their plan to select two familiar and versatile college hitters.

“The makeup on both of these players is exceptional,” Ontiveros said. “They’re winners. They’re athletes. Analytically, they check out. They checked a lot of boxes for us. And they’re two players we scouted a lot. So, there’s a comfort level all the way through with our whole process. We think they’re both potentially going to be middle of the order bat guys.”

Ontiveros relayed the club’s opinions around midnight. He did so in a baby blue blazer alongside Royals vice president of player personnel Lonnie Goldberg, who wore the same color coat. So did the entire Royals’ scouting staff who converged on Kauffman Stadium for day No. 1 of the draft in honor of legendary scout Art Stewart, who passed away in November.

A few Royals staffers such as Jack Monahan and Nick Leto spearheaded the gesture, one that Goldberg said the club hoped to honor a man who put in the miles, tracked down players at random ball fields, and mined as many connections as possible for information. A man who defined what it means to be a scout, which, as the joy in Bittner’s voice confirmed, is in part what makes draft night so special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:27 AM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Ah yes it's bigoted to think it's kinda ridiculous when in baseball talent matters and you care more about how the god question is answered. That's legit the only reason Matheny is this teams manager.

If the best player in the draft was an open atheist would the Royals take him? And if not isn't that a problem?
IDK the religious affiliations of our players and don’t care to. I’d presume it matches the general society. If you have info to the contrary you should post it.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 11:33 AM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

I think Drink knows he’s not coming, Drink was scrambling for a QB all spring.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 11:49 AM 07-18-2022

From what I'm told by multiple people this morning, there's no longer any concern Sam Horn will sign an MLB contract (hasn't been drafted at this point). Full expectation is that he will be at #Mizzou for the 2022 football and baseball seasons.

— Power Mizzou (@PowerMizzoucom) July 18, 2022

[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 11:53 AM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Sure hope so. I can’t trust nut kick U until I actually see him on the field.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 11:56 AM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Are you talking about Neto? Because that's not at all what I'm seeing in his prospect write up.
Yeah, Neto. I was hearing that when he has to use a wood bat that any glimpse of power he showed in the Big South conference will evaporate.

You hear good things? I was probably overreacting. I wanted Hjerpe to go to the Angels. My preferred college players never go to my favorite pro teams, with rare exceptions like Steven Nelson and Sabby Piscatelli (neither of whom are highly regarded in Chiefsland)
[Reply]
louie aguiar 11:59 AM 07-18-2022
Nice video of Wallace, looks like he has a nice glove at third

Cayden Wallace is a great pick for the @Royals. Some of the best raw power in the college class, and combines that with average contact rates and a good approach, rarely chasing and punishing balls in the zone. Double-plus arm strength and a plus run tool round out the package. pic.twitter.com/G3F03r6IhL

— Eephus Tosser (@EephusTosser) July 18, 2022

[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:19 PM 07-18-2022

Kansas City Royals draft Mason Barnett with 87th overall pick in MLB Draft

Alex Duvall

With the 87th overall pick in the 2022 MLB Draft, the Kansas City Royals have selected Auburn RHP Mason Barnett. Barnett was not a part of our top-100 ranking in the Draft Guide and came in at #209 at MLB Pipeline. He’s got a wipeout slider that can touch 87 mph at times, and his fastball runs up to 98, although it doesn’t quite have great carry to it at the top of the zone. The slider is definitely his carrying pitch and he probably should’ve been throwing it more in college.

Fastball: 93-96, t98, not as good a pitch as the velo suggests
Slider: 70-grade pitch, tops out at 87
Changeup: 50-grade offering, great fourth pitch
Curveball: Sneaky good offering, pairs well with the harder slider

Barnett has a starter’s profile if he can fix his fastball. Unfortunately, the Royals have not been great at taking players with bad fastball shapes and making them good, so it’s a long shot to think that they could all of a sudden fix Barnett. In any case, the breaking balls are prolific carrying tools that should help him play up in a bullpen role.

Nothing I’m getting too excited about here. Would anticipate that this pick should save the Royals some money. Biggest question now is, is that for their next pick? Or to afford Cayden Wallace? I’m betting on the former.

[Reply]
louie aguiar 12:22 PM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
RHP Mason Barnett, Auburn

looks to be a signability below-slot pick
[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:35 PM 07-18-2022

[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:54 PM 07-18-2022

Kansas City Royals draft LHP Hunter Patteson in 5th round

Alex Duvall

Now here’s a pick I can get down with. Patteson is a big LHP standing 6′ 5″ and was running his fastball up to 96 mph before leaving a start in early April. The University of Central Florida had Tommy John Surgery shortly after and will probably be looking to sign whatever the Royals are willing to offer. Once he’s in the system, you’re talking about a guy with great stuff and great projection. His fastball has great shape to it, the changeup is a legitimate plus-offering, and while the slider can be a little too slurvy at times, it has great shape and may improve tremendously with a touch more velo.

This now makes five college players drafted by the Royals in the first five rounds. I kind of like Steven Zobac a little bit, Mason Barnett is fine, but this pick of Patteson in the 5th round is a no-brainer for me. Throw $250,000 at him, save yourself $100,000 or so, and load up for whoever it is they’re saving some money for later on in this draft. I’m a fan.

[Reply]
Page 248 of 469
« First < 148198238244245246247248 249250251252258298348 > Last »
Up