ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 247 of 469
« First < 147197237243244245246247 248249250251257297347 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 10:09 PM 07-17-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Lol both of these draft picks are Bible thumpers. What a surprise.
A whole lot of MLB players come from Central America. Those places are highly Catholic. Cuba, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, all highly Catholic.

So are you overreacting to the Royals drafting domestic bible thumpers or is Dayton Moore going out of his way to get them from all sources?

I dont know.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:33 PM 07-17-2022
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
A whole lot of MLB players come from Central America. Those places are highly Catholic. Cuba, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, all highly Catholic.

So are you overreacting to the Royals drafting domestic bible thumpers or is Dayton Moore going out of his way to get them from all sources?

I dont know.
Doesn't make them Bible thumpers.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:35 PM 07-17-2022
The Brewers drafted Dayton Moore's son at 72...
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:55 PM 07-17-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The Brewers drafted Dayton Moore's son at 72...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:05 AM 07-18-2022

9. Royals
Gavin Cross, OF, Virginia Tech

The Hokies had not had a player selected in the first round since Joe Saunders in 2002. Cross, who is projected to become an above-average hitter and a fine right fielder, ended the decades-long drought. He trended in the right direction this season in all the pertinent areas. At the plate, he improved upon his strikeout and walk rates while increasing his power output; in the field, he slid to center and fared better than expected for someone who is slated to play right field as a professional. There's not much chrome to his game, but his offensive skill set should make him a welcomed addition

49. Royals
Cayden Wallace, 3B, Arkansas

Wallace is a draft-eligible sophomore who has underperformed expectations this spring, cutting his strikeout rate from last year but also hitting for less power. His swing is sound with good rotation and what looks like the right angle for line-drive power, so it might be a matter of building strength, although he’s also had huge trouble on changeups.

Thoughts on the Royals first two picks of the 2022 MLB Draft

Alex Duvall

Danny Ontiveros, take a bow.

We have been begging the Royals to #DraftMoreHitters on Twitter this spring, specifically of the college variety, and the Royals went out and took two of the best college hitters available at the time of their respective selection. Gavin Cross, an athletic outfielder from Virginia Tech, was the Royals first selection at #9. You can read about him here. Then, with their second pick at #49 overall, the Royals took Arkansas’ sophomore third baseman Cayden Wallace, a power-hitting righty with a chance to be a good third baseman long-term. You can read about that pick here.

I am so happy that the Royals took two college hitters with legitimate power potential with their picks last night. It would be hypocritical of me to now act like I didn’t love this draft after begging them to do exactly this all spring. Drew Saylor and company have done wonderfully when it comes to developing hitters and the Royals just took a couple of thoroughbreds for the development team to play with. There were rumors all day about the Royals shopping around an under-slot deal for their 9th overall pick, including several arms that were supposedly in play, and Kansas City came out with two college bats we know they loved during this process.

We did draft grades on the podcast last night, and I gave both picks an A- individually and I’m giving the Royals an A for the night. Like I said, it would be hypocritical of me to beg them to draft college hitters all spring and then not give them a good grade when they draft two college hitters with their first two picks of the draft. I love the process. Cross wouldn’t have been my first choice at #9. Wallace is a great pick at #49. Even if you don’t love the players, I LOVE the process (and love the Wallace pick as well). This was a great night for the Kansas City Royals and might be a preview into a fundamental shift in how the organization drafts moving forward under new scouting director Danny Ontiveros.

[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:14 AM 07-18-2022
9. Kansas City Royals: Gavin Cross, RF, Virginia Tech

Who is Cross?

Unheralded out of high school and as a freshman at Virginia Tech, Cross developed into an All-American over his final two seasons in Blacksburg. A left-handed hitter, Cross played center field in college but is likely to end up in right as a pro with an above-average combination of hit and power that figures to hold up in an outfield corner.

Why the Royals took him here:

Drafting in the top 10 for the fourth straight season, the Royals had gone high school position player (Bobby Witt Jr.), college pitcher (Asa Lacy), high school pitcher (Frank Mozzicato) and now go with a college position player. At least GM Dayton Moore is flexible in his thinking. Cross could be another fast-moving college bat -- and the Royals need outfield help. -- Schoenfield

[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:20 AM 07-18-2022
Here are the 10 best players remaining from Keith Law’s top 100 prospects.
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Al Bundy 08:29 AM 07-18-2022
The Rangers and Brock Porter would be a good match but I bet he will end up at Clemson.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:56 AM 07-18-2022
Couple local ties to look at today - Karson Milbrandt a pitcher from Liberty and Sam Horn the MU QB recruit.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:00 AM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Couple local ties to look at today - Karson Milbrandt a pitcher from Liberty and Sam Horn the MU QB recruit.
Really hoping Horn falls lol. I want him playing QB and don't want any chance of him leaving.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 09:09 AM 07-18-2022
The Angels drafted a slick fielding shortstop that projects at best to become a late inning defensive replacement at the MLB level. They had that exact player (Tyler Wade) and released him last week. Its not a valuable player type. Gotta be able to hit, and for power, to be legit. He cant do either.

Super pissed they drafted that guy. The Angels are far more inept than the Royals. The Royals are geniuses compared to that Angel situation. We got bad lawsuits (a team employee provided the drugs to Skaggs that killed him, so the Skaggs family will be winning a large sum in their lawsuit against the Angels) going on, so they are far more of a trainwreck than KC. Cross seems decent.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:34 AM 07-18-2022
The Angels drafted a slick fielding shortstop that projects at best to become a late inning defensive replacement at the MLB level. They had that exact player (Tyler Wade) and released him last week. Its not a valuable player type. Gotta be able to hit, and for power, to be legit. He cant do either.

Super pissed they drafted that guy. The Angels are far more inept than the Royals. The Royals are geniuses compared to that Angel situation. We got bad lawsuits (a team employee provided the drugs to Skaggs that killed him, so the Skaggs family will be winning a large sum in their lawsuit against the Angels) going on, so they are far more of a trainwreck than KC. Cross seems decent.
The Angels have 2 of the top 5 players in the game and can't win...
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:38 AM 07-18-2022

Are you talking about Neto? Because that's not at all what I'm seeing in his prospect write up.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:39 AM 07-18-2022
Phillies did a similar thing but with a higher pedigreed kid.

I REALLY struggle with the idea of taking a hitter in the first round who doesn't have projectable power. It just doesn't make any sense to me, especially if you're dealing with a prep prospect who has potholes along the way anyway.

If you're gonna take a big swing on a prep prospect, that swing needs to at least be a HR swing. If it connects with guys like Justin Crawford and the Angels kid, you're still just looking at a solid double.

The Cubs made one of the more bizarre picks I can recall a few years back with Nico Hoerner. And Hoerner developed exactly as they would've expected; a true best case scenario development arc.

And he's maybe gonna be a slightly slower, less versatile version of Tommy Edman. Who cares? That's a fine complementary player but it doesn't change the trajectory of your team in the slightest. Why are you using 1st round capital on that? Those kind of guys are 3rd-5th round players, IMO (Edman was a 6th, for example).

That's just not a guy you use a 1st rounder on.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:12 AM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Also I'm so God damn tired of people having positions in this organization or getting drafted because they thump the Bible.

It's a God damn joke. Just change the team name to the KC Jesus, or the Christian brigade or something cause this shit is beyond laughable now.
Bigot
[Reply]
Page 247 of 469
« First < 147197237243244245246247 248249250251257297347 > Last »
Up