ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 246 of 333
« First < 146196236242243244245246 247248249250256296 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 12:02 AM 01-01-2023

2023 – A new beginning for the Royals. Matt Quatraro era begins. A year to see which of our young players will make up the core going forward. Can Bobby Witt Jr become a superstar SS or will go to the hot corner? Will Brady Singer take the next step forward? Will Salvy be Salvy? Will Big Vin or Pratto take first base? Will they find a position for MJ? Who else emerges from the youth movement? Not to mention the development of the new downtown stadium.

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Jordan Lyles, RHP
Ryan Yarbrough, LHP
Josh Taylor, LHP
Aroldis Chapman, LHP

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Gavin Cross, OF
2. Cayden Wallace, 3B
3. Drew Waters, OF
4. Ben Kudrna, RHP
5. Frank Mozzicato, LHP
6. Maikel Garcia, SS
7. Tyler Gentry, OF
8. Nick Loftin, OF/3B
9. Angel Zerpa, LHP
10. Carter Jensen, C
[Reply]
penguinz 11:06 AM 08-02-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I mean I saw it and had to post it because well seems accurate.
Agree 100%. Hence the giphy. They are barely keeping their heads above water.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 12:28 PM 08-02-2023
Random thought - Greinke was drafted by KC in 2002, so the Royals now have not drafted anyone close to a true ace in over 20 years now. Surely that is an example of historic ineptitude by this franchise.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:29 PM 08-02-2023
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Random thought - Greinke was drafted by KC in 2002, so the Royals now have not drafted anyone close to a true ace in over 20 years now. Surely that is an example of historic ineptitude by this franchise.
It's kinda funny that Allard Baird drafted Greinke and Beltran...while being hamstrung like a mofo by ownership...meanwhile today...
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:48 PM 08-02-2023
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
I get what you're saying, but is it really?

Depends on your definition of "true ace" I think. I can't think of a true ace drafted/developed by the following teams in that time span:

Cardinals
Cubs
Astros
Phillies
Blue Jays
Diamondbacks
Orioles
Red Sox
White Sox
Reds
Rockies
Angels (unless you count Ohtani)
Twins
Mets
Yankees
Padres
Rangers

That's more than half of MLB teams.

That standard is too high to judge a team on. What's better, is just ... how many viable MLB starters are you pumping out?

An area where the Royals are clearly deficient.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 05:41 PM 08-02-2023
Imagine someone from Johnson County being forced to park east of 71 highway LOL

https://cityscenekc.com/city-manager...UqXLYtEudVrBb4

The city manager also made some interesting comments...

"It’s an interesting concept but the user experience will not be positive. If visitors are being told to park in a series of garages that can be minutes or miles away it’s going to be inconvenient for people. It’s not the same experience of going to a game that everyone wants."

Looks like a fuck ton of challenges. Did some math the street car can move about 5k in a few hours that's not nearly enough so some sort of parking will need to created. There's also a businessman on 10th & Charlotte who's refusing to sell his business which impacts the idea of building near the stadium. This thing sounds much easier in NKC
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 07:11 PM 08-02-2023
Edward Olivares is such a dipshit
[Reply]
tk13 07:12 PM 08-02-2023
:-) An Olivares highlight reel there. Fly ball to right and he leaves first full sprint and is halfway to 3rd base by the time it's caught. Not sure what happened there. Maybe he thought there were 2 outs.
[Reply]
SithCeNtZ 07:21 PM 08-02-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

Depends on your definition of "true ace" I think. I can't think of a true ace drafted/developed by the following teams in that time span:

Cardinals
Cubs
Astros
Phillies
Blue Jays
Diamondbacks
Orioles
Red Sox
White Sox
Reds
Rockies
Twins
Mets
Yankees
Padres
Rangers

That standard is too high to judge a team on. What's better, is just ... how many viable MLB starters are you pumping out?

I guess I don't know what the technical definition of ace or somewhere close but there are a few missing here. Degrom(Mets) Sale(white sox) Hammels(Phillies) Gallen(drafted by cards but traded in minors to dbacks) John Lester (Red Sox, 4 seasons with an era under 3) Dallas keuchel( Astros, cy young and 3 seasons under 3 era) Cueto(Reds) peavy(padres).

Regardless your last point still stands. It's actually pretty depressing to think about who is the second best starter we have drafted and developed. The runs in the playoffs had basically no starters except for Ventura, who we didn't draft but close enough, but even he wasn't actually as good as people remember. Lots of potential and some great outings but the world series win year he had an era over 4 and did the same the following year. If you take out Duffy's one amazing year he has a career era well over 4. I'm not sure we have had a pitcher who has posted 4 seasons with an era under 4 with the royals since greinke which is depressing.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:30 PM 08-02-2023
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Imagine someone from Johnson County being forced to park east of 71 highway LOL

https://cityscenekc.com/city-manager...UqXLYtEudVrBb4

The city manager also made some interesting comments...

"It’s an interesting concept but the user experience will not be positive. If visitors are being told to park in a series of garages that can be minutes or miles away it’s going to be inconvenient for people. It’s not the same experience of going to a game that everyone wants."

Looks like a fuck ton of challenges. Did some math the street car can move about 5k in a few hours that's not nearly enough so some sort of parking will need to created. There's also a businessman on 10th & Charlotte who's refusing to sell his business which impacts the idea of building near the stadium. This thing sounds much easier in NKC
Why does everyone always pick on Joco? What about Lee's Scummit and Blue Springs?
[Reply]
Rams Fan 07:34 PM 08-02-2023

Cardinals
Cubs
Astros
Phillies
Blue Jays
Diamondbacks: Scherzer
Orioles
Red Sox
White Sox
Reds
Rockies
Twins
Mets
Yankees
Padres
Rangers

Here's my attempt at filling out your list with only guys drafted from 2002 onward:

Cardinals: Depends how you count Alcantara, Gallen
Cubs:
Astros: Keuchel
Phillies: Hamels, Nola
Blue Jays:
Diamondbacks:
Orioles: Arrieta
Red Sox: Lester
White Sox: Sale
Reds: Cueto
Rockies:
Angels (unless you count Ohtani): Jered Weaver
Twins:
Mets: Depends on how you count Wheeler. DeGrom.
Yankees: Depends on how you count Tanaka
Padres:
Rangers: C.J. Wilson (not counting Darvish)
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:07 PM 08-02-2023
Cole Ragans nice start. 6 innings, no runs, 8 K's.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:09 PM 08-02-2023
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
Here's my attempt at filling out your list with only guys drafted from 2002 onward:

Cardinals: Depends how you count Alcantara, Gallen Came up with different team, no credit
Cubs:
Astros: Keuchel I never thought of him as a true ace, but I guess some could.
Phillies: Hamels Credit - I forgot he was 2002, Nola Not an ace
Blue Jays:
Diamondbacks:
Orioles: Arrieta They drafted him, but he was horrible until he left them. No credit.
Red Sox: Lester Another guy I wouldn't really think of as an ace, but I guess some could.
White Sox: Sale Absolute brain fart moment for me
Reds: Cueto Signed as an IFA, not drafted
Rockies:
Angels (unless you count Ohtani): Jered Weaver Not an ace
Twins:
Mets: Depends on how you count Wheeler. DeGrom. I was thinking Wheeler finished his time in the Giants system, but he didn't. That qualifies, as does deGrom.
Yankees: Depends on how you count Tanaka I wouldn't count Tanaka in this, both because he wasn't a true ace, and because he was an international signing as a finished product
Padres:
Rangers: C.J. Wilson (not counting Darvish) I wouldn't call CJ Wilson an ace.
Blanket statement: If they were traded and came up through another team's system, they don't count.

So of the 17 teams I identified as joining KC in the "No ace drafted and developed since 2002" club, I'd walk it back on the White Sox (Sale), Mets (Wheeler, deGrom), and Phillies (Hamels). There are a few guys who are questionable (Red Sox, Astros), but there's also the question of if we're counting from Greinke forward or not (which would drop the Red Sox and Phils back out for me).

And if you're holding it up to Greinke as a comparison, who should be a slam-dunk HoF player, I don't think there are many on that list who stack up to him.

Point being: If 1/2 the teams in a league aren't doing something, I don't think you can really critique the Royals for not doing it.

There's plenty of ammo elsewhere, though.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 08:20 PM 08-02-2023
Blanket statement: If they were traded and came up through another team's system, they don't count.

So of the 17 teams I identified as joining KC in the "No ace drafted and developed since 2002" club, I'd walk it back on the White Sox (Sale), Mets (Wheeler, deGrom), and Phillies (Hamels). There are a few guys who are questionable (Red Sox, Astros), but there's also the question of if we're counting from Greinke forward or not (which would drop the Red Sox and Phils back out for me).

And if you're holding it up to Greinke as a comparison, who should be a slam-dunk HoF player, I don't think there are many on that list who stack up to him.

Point being: If 1/2 the teams in a league aren't doing something, I don't think you can really critique the Royals for not doing it.

The bigger question would be what teams drafted and developed starting pitchers that had an impact on the roster for 5+ years above average starters (majority of arbitration years), which I think is more telling than drafting and developing a generational pitcher.

Using the Cardinals as reference, the only two guys they’ve had on the roster who fit that criteria since 2010 are Lynn and Flaherty.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:23 PM 08-02-2023

The issue is the Royals don't do anything well so it's not like they can trade for someone else's pitcher.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:25 PM 08-02-2023
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
The bigger question would be what teams drafted and developed starting pitchers that had an impact on the roster for 5+ years above average starters (majority of arbitration years), which I think is more telling than drafting and developing a generational pitcher.

Using the Cardinals as reference, the only two guys they’ve had on the roster who fit that criteria since 2010 are Lynn and Flaherty.
Yeah. There are teams that are doing this well. The Marlins, Rays, Brewers, Dodgers, Mariners, Guardians, and Braves really stand out.

I'm still on team "find a way to steal talent from those orgs that can bring that draft and develop method to KC."

Next year should be a pretty telling one for what Paul Gibson and his team is doing.
[Reply]
Page 246 of 333
« First < 146196236242243244245246 247248249250256296 > Last »
Up