View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 244 of 343
« First < 144194234240241242243244 245246247248254294 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 10:32 AM 11-30-2022
What the hell does that chart mean? Good or bad? I don't see a ranking on there.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:34 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Hopefully he’s working through a minor injury while also learning to play at a lower weight and by game 8-10 we start to see real improvement due to refined technique/footwork and his mobility improves with health.

I’m not sure he has the natural ability to hang with the top end edge guys, even with health and technique improvement but I’m hoping he can.
It’s also very possible that he’s still learning to play at a lower weight and that we will start to see improvement in the next couple weeks through the end of the year as he settles in. Especially after the bye if he’s battling an injury.
My hope is that he was learning to play at a lighter weight and the 49ers game was our first real view of a new pattern that’s emerging for him. I said something similar before the 49ers game because the first 6-7 games last year where he was adjusting to completely new techniques for pass protection before he started to show visible improvement…and was pretty good the rest of the year. Those first few games were very rough. This year has been similar.

Let’s see how he performs against the titans Sunday night.
I’ve said since day 1 that I could see him adjusting to playing at a lighter weight and as he’s adjusted and refined his technique, he’s continued to me more and more effective. He keeps improving and played at an elite level against LAC.

Here are his week to week grades through the season.

This guy is going to reset the LT market, for sure. He’s earning it.
He was pretty close to terrible the first month.

He lost a ton of weight in the offseason and looked like he was learning to play in a totally new body and guys were going right past him, routinely.

Right now, though. The guy that’s playing LT for us the last 3 weeks or so has been pro bowl caliber. The guy that played last week was all pro caliber.

I’m excited to see how lethal he’s going to become if he keeps improving.
Nice to see it play out how I hoped it would. At least to this point.

The kids gonna give up plays against elite rushers, but he’s as solid as they come at this point.

It’s gonna be fun seeing him play the rest of the year.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:35 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Right now he's performing largely to the same standard he maintained for large swaths of last season. And Veach deemed it unworthy of anything except barely a top 10 OT deal and less than 50 guaranteed. Nothing has changed. If another team wants to reset the market with him, fantastic, take a couple picks off their hands and go back to the well.
Except….there is no well. And you’re not getting a 1st for him. You’d have no leverage.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:36 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You know what would be better than tagging him and extending him?

Telling him to get off his ass before !@#$ing June and get an agent hired who can actually work towards getting a deal done before mid-summer.

Christ that was annoying.
Yeah, I wasn’t a fan of that, either. I understand and respect the confidence he had in himself and it’s possible Veach wanted to get a deal without commission involved so Orlando could make the most while saving the Chiefs a few dollars.
[Reply]
O.city 10:39 AM 11-30-2022
I don't think you can go with the tag again. For one, he isnt' likely gonna play on it again. Even if you do it with the intention of trading him, you have to have a dance partner to do that.

I think it's "tag and extend" or let walk.
[Reply]
O.city 10:40 AM 11-30-2022
The guy is still really young too.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:40 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Except….there is no well. And you’re not getting a 1st for him. You’d have no leverage.
Neat. Still doesn't change the fact that Veach didn't and presumably still doesn't value him enough to give him anything near a market resetting contract and Brown/his agent aren't smart enough to get to the negotiating table so we can even attempt to meet somewhere in the middle. So, your most likely options are tag or tag & trade.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:43 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
I don't think you can go with the tag again. For one, he isnt' likely gonna play on it again. Even if you do it with the intention of trading him, you have to have a dance partner to do that.

I think it's "tag and extend" or let walk.
There's gonna be a LOT of money in the system and some teams that need an LT who don't want to wade into the mud of unrestricted FA.

You could get him tagged/traded, especially at his present level of play.

4 weeks ago? Unlikely.

But it seems increasingly likely that he's a top 5 FA on the market (if he were to hit the market) and the idea that nobody would want to give up a 3rd or so for that exclusive negotiating ability doesn't pass the sniff test to me.

He's going to be sought after.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:45 AM 11-30-2022
Neat. Still doesn't change the fact that Veach didn't and presumably still doesn't value him enough to give him anything near a market resetting contract and Brown/his agent aren't smart enough to get to the negotiating table so we can even attempt to meet somewhere in the middle. So, your most likely options are tag or tag & trade.
He's not playing on the tag.

He's now made $20+ million in his NFL career. He had 1/4 of his career earnings prior to this year - any threat to sit out wasn't credible.

Now that he has 'walk away from the game and be set for life' money, a holdout threat is legit. He won't play on the tag next season. It's absolutely the least likely option.
[Reply]
J Diddy 10:47 AM 11-30-2022
Nice to see it play out how I hoped it would. At least to this point.

The kids gonna give up plays against elite rushers, but he’s as solid as they come at this point.

It’s gonna be fun seeing him play the rest of the year.
Except the question remains do you give up top tackle money to a guy who starts slow, regardless of the excuse, every year?

He wanted to play left tackle. We traded for a left tackle. We offered left tackle money and it wasn't good enough.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:51 AM 11-30-2022
Right now he's performing largely to the same standard he maintained for large swaths of last season. And Veach deemed it unworthy of anything except barely a top 10 OT deal and less than 50 guaranteed. Nothing has changed. If another team wants to reset the market with him, fantastic, take a couple picks off their hands and go back to the well.
Yeah, no.

Why on earth would they trade for a player, see him for one year and give him a plan to drop a bunch of weight and improve his technique to be a better fit for the system and see him follow that plan to a T and to be playing at an elite level only to trade him to HOPE that a ROOKIE or Lucas Niang can keep Pat upright and trusting the soL so he can look downfield consistently?

That makes no sense.

Especially when they will be picking at the end of the rounds.

Brett has earmarked this upcoming offseason to get sone extensions done and none of those extensions are remotely as important as OBJs.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:52 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by J Diddy:
Except the question remains do you give up top tackle money to a guy who starts slow, regardless of the excuse, every year?

He wanted to play left tackle. We traded for a left tackle. We offered left tackle money and it wasn't good enough.
Yes

You aren’t paying the ghost of player past, you’re paying the guy you currently have.
[Reply]
O.city 10:54 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
There's gonna be a LOT of money in the system and some teams that need an LT who don't want to wade into the mud of unrestricted FA.

You could get him tagged/traded, especially at his present level of play.

4 weeks ago? Unlikely.

But it seems increasingly likely that he's a top 5 FA on the market (if he were to hit the market) and the idea that nobody would want to give up a 3rd or so for that exclusive negotiating ability doesn't pass the sniff test to me.

He's going to be sought after.
But I come back to, if that's the case and he's such a sought after asset.....why wouldn't we just keep him?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:54 AM 11-30-2022
Yeah, no.

Why on earth would they trade for a player, see him for one year and give him a plan to drop a bunch of weight and improve his technique to be a better fit for the system and see him follow that plan to a T and to be playing at an elite level only to trade him to HOPE that a ROOKIE or Lucas Niang can keep Pat upright and trusting the soL so he can look downfield consistently?

That makes no sense.

Especially when they will be picking at the end of the rounds.

Brett has earmarked this upcoming offseason to get sone extensions done and none of those extensions are remotely as important as OBJs.
You lost me here.

Jones is MORE important, Sneed is probably AS important.

But those are definitely the top 3 items on my 'to do' list this offseason. Then you attack the DL and WR corps in the draft. And if you can't get a deal done with Brown by the draft, I honestly think you have to trade him. Because he has so damn much leverage in that event that you are truly up shits creek if he decides he wants to blow the market apart.

Because again - he absolutely will sit out if you tag him and don't get him extended. So where are you then?

It comes down to their ability to get Brown to engage. If they can't, they have to be willing to pursue Plan B.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:55 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
But I come back to, if that's the case and he's such a sought after asset.....why wouldn't we just keep him?
In the end, we will.
[Reply]
Page 244 of 343
« First < 144194234240241242243244 245246247248254294 > Last »
Up