ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 244 of 3903
« First < 144194234240241242243244 2452462472482542943447441244 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Kman34 12:37 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
I could finally get my garage and storage room organized, get the wallpaper stripped in the guest room...maybe do some painting as well. And if the weather cooperates I could do my spring yard cleanup and power wash the deck and house.

I'm warming up to the idea to be honest.
I took some vacation time this week and just put a floor in and doing some painting.. the problem is if I need some supplies.. I just keep hand sanitizer with me when I go to LOWE’s...
[Reply]
DaFace 12:41 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
When you can successfully grow the virus, you can vaccinate for it.
Creating a vaccine isn't necessarily the hard part.
[Reply]
TLO 12:43 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
So I wanted to clarify some comments I made yesterday about this disease regarding age.

Yes. The fatality rate for those under 50 might be 0.1% compared to 10%+ for those over 80.

But the point I have been trying to get across is it seems like many think that means 99.9% of those in that age group have no symptoms or a mild stay at home.

That is true for most but not all. A week or so ago I saw a chart for hospitalizations by age. I spent a little time searching today and couldn't find it again. Everyone wants to talk about death rates by age. (If anyone else finds a link I would appreciate knowing.)

But for the 30~50 the hospitalization rate was above 5% IIRC.

That is no where need as bad as those over 80. But there are more people aged 30 to 50 than those over 80. If enough get sick at the same time that can overwhelm ICUs.

And the 0.1% death rate is predicted on those that are hospitalized having good ICU care which can mean 3 weeks of intensive care including ventilator and frequent draining of liquid from the lungs.

And death rates can really go up when the system is overloaded. I found the following link for that.

The rapid increase in the number of cases of COVID-19 in Wuhan, China, in late 2019 highlighted how quickly health systems can be challenged to provide adequate care.1 Case-fatality proportions were 7-fold higher for patients in Hubei Province compared with those outside of the region, 2.9% vs 0.4%, emphasizing the importance of health system capacity in the care of patients who are critically ill with COVID-19.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2762996

Many places in Africa are not going to be able to provide this treatment. So unless tropical climates are mostly immune from the virus, I think Africa could have a much higher death rate in the under 50 crowd than China and Italy have had.
Above 5% out of how many cases?
[Reply]
srvy 12:43 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by ping2000:
Watch old episodes of Dr. Kildare or Ben Casey when they are scrubbing prior to surgery.
Wow, those are some blasts from the past.
[Reply]
SupDock 12:44 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by 007:
Got mine for $43
Mine was expected to arrive today , it just got delayed
[Reply]
TLO 12:48 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
It will absolutely work. The masses won't believe it is working because it coincides with a dramatic increase in testing.

We are kind of half assing it though, if you arent closing schools, restaurants and the like. But all we need to do is even out the curve so that our health care system has enough capacity to handle it.

I know nobody believes China because USA USA USA, but their measures worked. They were drastic and much harsher than we would ever do. WHO has verified alot of their data.

Fuck China. Maybe next they can figure out a way to keep their people from eating snakes at bats that end up causing these new strains of viruses.
[Reply]
007 12:55 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Mine was expected to arrive today , it just got delayed
Yeah mine won't arrive until the end of the month right now. If ever.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:58 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Fuck China. Maybe next they can figure out a way to keep their people from eating snakes at bats that end up causing these new strains of viruses.
There's nothing inherently dangerous about their cuisine. Swine flu originated here (North America) after all.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:08 PM 03-14-2020
21 in minnesota 18 in wisconsin.

No real evidence of local spread
[Reply]
BWillie 01:09 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
There's nothing inherently dangerous about their cuisine. Swine flu originated here (North America) after all.
The 1918 Spanish Flu started at a farm in Kansas and killed upwards to 100 million of the worlds population.

The only reason they called it the Spanish flu is because Spanish was neutral and they were the only country giving out unbiased reports since it was the World War 1. They didn't want other countries to know their weakness.

But Kansan soldiers spread the virus and infected the world.
[Reply]
Bwana 01:09 PM 03-14-2020

[Reply]
Donger 01:10 PM 03-14-2020
Can't agree with that at all. It would be nice if they at least cooked their bats, pangolins and wolf puppies some before eating them...

And, shall I post the video of the guy eating live baby mice?
[Reply]
staylor26 01:11 PM 03-14-2020
:-)

There’s nothing dangerous about eating raw wild animals like bats, rats, etc.?
[Reply]
PHOG 01:14 PM 03-14-2020
[Reply]
DaFace 01:14 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:

There’s nothing dangerous about eating raw wild animals like bats, rats, etc.?
Feel free to provide evidence to the contrary. (I'm not talking about impacting a single consumer, I'm talking about the potential for passing a disease like the flu or coronavirus.)

Note that coronavirus can come from chicken. So are we eliminating those in the U.S.?
[Reply]
Page 244 of 3903
« First < 144194234240241242243244 2452462472482542943447441244 > Last »
Up