ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 243 of 3903
« First < 143193233239240241242243 2442452462472532933437431243 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BWillie 12:12 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Are you saying you don't think that social distancing doesn't work at all?
It will absolutely work. The masses won't believe it is working because it coincides with a dramatic increase in testing.

We are kind of half assing it though, if you arent closing schools, restaurants and the like. But all we need to do is even out the curve so that our health care system has enough capacity to handle it.

I know nobody believes China because USA USA USA, but their measures worked. They were drastic and much harsher than we would ever do. WHO has verified alot of their data.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 12:17 PM 03-14-2020
Canadian scientist announced they were able to make a copy of the virus. This will be over by summer.
[Reply]
TLO 12:18 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Canadian scientist announced they were able to make a copy of the virus. This will be over by summer.
What does that even mean?
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:19 PM 03-14-2020
So my stepdad is in the hospital recovering from the surgery to remove the cancer. He is in the ICU, has COPD, CHF, and a suppressed immune system due to the radiation and chemo. The hospital has taken measures to try and keep COVID-19 from spreading around the hospital.

Limiting the hours you can visit (7:30 am to 6:30 pm) - Im not an expert on viruses, but this seems to be a pointless tactic. I am pretty sure that the virus doesnt give a fuck what time of day it is. They really should be turning all visitors away, unless they are willing to wear a mask at all times, so that in case a person has it they are limiting the chances of spreading it.

Limiting the number of visitors at a time to 2 - another pointless tactic. The visiting hours are 11 hours long. Limiting the amount of people that can be in the room doesn't really do much, especially when there are 11 hours in which they can come visit. If 2 people visit for an hour, then that means 22 people could visit in just one day. I dont think most people even have that many people visit.

Screenings at the door - I think most people know that if they are feeling sick they shouldn't visit the hospital and since you can have no symptoms for up to 2 weeks and still pass this thing around the screenings may keep a couple people from visiting.

I told my mom that she really shouldnt even be visiting because a lot more people have this than what have been tested, so if youve been out going into stores the last few days theres a chance you've been exposed to it and dont even know it. I told her to wear a mask anytime shes in the room and shes very good about washing her hands, so im not too concerned.

One thing that does concern me however is the employees. Chances are fairly good that KC has a good amount of people with this thing and just don't have the symptoms yet. These nurses and other employees of the hospital go out around town on their days off and have probably been exposed as well and since it takes awhile for the symptoms to show up some of them could unknowingly have it and give it to a patient. I asked my mom if the nurses are wearing masks while in the room and she said no and that concerns the hell out of me.

The hospital is treating the coronavirus like it is less severe than the flu. Hell during flu season if you decline to get a flu shot they make you wear a mask either all the time or during the times you interact with patients to protect the patient, just because you didnt get a flu shot. Why are they not requiring workers to wear masks for this because there is no vaccine, you dont have to even have syptoms to spread this, and it's alot more contagious. It just infuriates me that they don't have more precautions there, especially in the ICU of all places. If my stepdad happened to get this then he more than likely would die from it.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:20 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
When you can successfully grow the virus, you can vaccinate for it.
[Reply]
Bugeater 12:20 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
It will absolutely work. The masses won't believe it is working because it coincides with a dramatic increase in testing.

We are kind of half assing it though, if you arent closing schools, restaurants and the like. But all we need to do is even out the curve so that our health care system has enough capacity to handle it.

I know nobody believes China because USA USA USA, but their measures worked. They were drastic and much harsher than we would ever do. WHO has verified alot of their data.
I don't know man, there has to be a balance. Closing down schools makes more sense to me than putting a shit ton of restaurant employees out of work. Yeah, it would be great to be able to shut the world down and just have everyone hunker down at home for a month but it isn't realistic.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 12:21 PM 03-14-2020
So I wanted to clarify some comments I made yesterday about this disease regarding age.

Yes. The fatality rate for those under 50 might be 0.1% compared to 10%+ for those over 80.

But the point I have been trying to get across is it seems like many think that means 99.9% of those in that age group have no symptoms or a mild stay at home.

That is true for most but not all. A week or so ago I saw a chart for hospitalizations by age. I spent a little time searching today and couldn't find it again. Everyone wants to talk about death rates by age. (If anyone else finds a link I would appreciate knowing.)

But for the 30~50 the hospitalization rate was above 5% IIRC.

That is no where need as bad as those over 80. But there are more people aged 30 to 50 than those over 80. If enough get sick at the same time that can overwhelm ICUs.

And the 0.1% death rate is predicted on those that are hospitalized having good ICU care which can mean 3 weeks of intensive care including ventilator and frequent draining of liquid from the lungs.

And death rates can really go up when the system is overloaded. I found the following link for that.

The rapid increase in the number of cases of COVID-19 in Wuhan, China, in late 2019 highlighted how quickly health systems can be challenged to provide adequate care.1 Case-fatality proportions were 7-fold higher for patients in Hubei Province compared with those outside of the region, 2.9% vs 0.4%, emphasizing the importance of health system capacity in the care of patients who are critically ill with COVID-19.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2762996

Many places in Africa are not going to be able to provide this treatment. So unless tropical climates are mostly immune from the virus, I think Africa could have a much higher death rate in the under 50 crowd than China and Italy have had.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:21 PM 03-14-2020

China welded people shut into buildings and was rounding up people at gunpoint.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:22 PM 03-14-2020
welp

[Reply]
Bugeater 12:22 PM 03-14-2020
Don't get me wrong, I'd be fine with staying at home for a month. I could get a lot done around here.
[Reply]
Donger 12:24 PM 03-14-2020

Thanks, just checking.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:24 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
He has no clue lol
[Reply]
Bugeater 12:25 PM 03-14-2020
I could finally get my garage and storage room organized, get the wallpaper stripped in the guest room...maybe do some painting as well. And if the weather cooperates I could do my spring yard cleanup and power wash the deck and house.

I'm warming up to the idea to be honest.
[Reply]
007 12:28 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
welp

Got mine for $43
[Reply]
Bugeater 12:30 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by 007:
Got mine for $43
Great, I'll put that on the bathroom remodel list.
[Reply]
Page 243 of 3903
« First < 143193233239240241242243 2442452462472532933437431243 > Last »
Up