ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 24 of 26
« First < 142021222324 2526 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Spags does it again
RunKC 08:52 PM 01-21-2023
20 points allowed
Lawrence three for only 90 yards in his first 23 attempts (3.91 avg)
Tackling was solid
Blitzes were very good including the Reid blitz that on the Watson pick play

He did this with 5 rookies playing a lot of snaps today. Just a remarkable performance from his defense
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:25 AM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, outside inside like that wasn't the best with the route they'd called there.
I think Spags just didn't expect a shot ball there. Hell, who did?

Because inside/out makes a lot of sense there if you're trying to defend against a dig. It gives Cook the freedom to do exactly what he did there if that's a short/medium route.

I think Spags made a call designed to take away the highest percentage play and did so at the risk of giving up a big play. If that wasn't a double move, we're all over it. And with the amount of pressure we'd been getting, it took MASSIVE stones from Taylor to call that play (and we still almost got home on it).

Like I said - that's a clear tip your cap scenario. Spags made a really defensible call there. Had we gone over/under with it, an in-route breaks open so by going inside/out, you set yourself up really well to break up that play. And it would've made all the sense in the world for Taylor to call an in there. He didn't - he zigged and it worked but only barely and STILL with an all-world effort from Chase.

I mean there's just absolutely nothing to complain about on that play.
[Reply]
O.city 10:27 AM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I think Spags just didn't expect a shot ball there. Hell, who did?

Because inside/out makes a lot of sense there if you're trying to defend against a dig. It gives Cook the freedom to do exactly what he did there if that's a short/medium route.

I think Spags made a call designed to take away the highest percentage play and did so at the risk of giving up a big play. If that wasn't a double move, we're all over it. And with the amount of pressure we'd been getting, it took MASSIVE stones from Taylor to call that play (and we still almost got home on it).

Like I said - that's a clear tip your cap scenario. Spags made a really defensible call there. Had we gone over/under with it, an in-route breaks open so by going inside/out, you set yourself up really well to break up that play. And it would've made all the sense in the world for Taylor to call an in there. He didn't - he zigged and it worked but only barely and STILL with an all-world effort from Chase.

I mean there's just absolutely nothing to complain about on that play.
Yeah, no problem with it. Good call, good play.

Brian Burns sacks Burrow there, but oh well.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 01:20 PM 02-01-2023
Spags called a great game. When you get beat by hero balls you tip the cap. They forced Cincy all night into low percentage plays.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:54 PM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
The question for this upcoming game is how healthy he's going to be. If he's a dinged up 2017 Alex Smith...then he's limited in what he can do.
His OLine and WRs can cover up a lot of whatever deficiency he might have. If we can match with them (for this one game), I like our chances.

I think one of our biggest advantages on D is that our young players don't seem to understand that this should be hard. Going up against the Gals' receivers and backs on one of the biggest stages without their vet leader should have been a bit too much to ask. But it wasn't. Credit Veach. Credit Andy. Credit Merritt. Credit the young studs. And credit Spags.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:02 PM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I think one of our biggest advantages on D is that our young players don't seem to understand that this should be hard. Going up against the Gals' receivers and backs on one of the biggest stages without their vet leader should have been a bit too much to ask. But it wasn't. Credit Veach. Credit Andy. Credit Merritt. Credit the young studs. And credit Spags.
:-)
[Reply]
COchief 06:41 PM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Name the play, explain the 'call' and what was 'dumb as ****' about it.

Because Chase catching a jump ball between double coverage or Hurst catching a dig route because our top remaining CB slipped on his break doesn't count.
Are you kidding me? 3rd and 7 or whatever, entire defense runs backwards and Burrow shits himself in disbelief then runs straight ahead and slides for the first down. 3 and 14 or whatever, Boyd catch for a first down, no pressure sent with an uncontested catch right past the marker. I wasn't referencing the plays you mentioned. The two I mentioned were stupid calls as the D had two incredibly easy conversions in two very tough down and distance situations. Happy now?

Again my first sentence was: Spags overall result good, dumb stuff mixed in. Relax, bad Andy still comes out and gets cutesy once in a while as well, doesn't mean he isn't a great coach.

Anyway Chiefs are in the SB and we have the best QB in the NFL (maybe ever), you should probably enjoy it homie!
[Reply]
raybec 4 06:53 PM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by COchief:
Are you kidding me? 3rd and 7 or whatever, entire defense runs backwards and Burrow shits himself in disbelief then runs straight ahead and slides for the first down. 3 and 14 or whatever, Boyd catch for a first down, no pressure sent with an uncontested catch right past the marker. I wasn't referencing the plays you mentioned. The two I mentioned were stupid calls as the D had two incredibly easy conversions in two very tough down and distance situations. Happy now?

Again my first sentence was: Spags overall result good, dumb stuff mixed in. Relax, bad Andy still comes out and gets cutesy once in a while as well, doesn't mean he isn't a great coach.
That sounds like you have no idea what the defensive call was or what they were actually doing. You're just bitching because the result wasn't what you wanted. The Bengals are pros too, they're going to make some plays.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 06:56 PM 02-01-2023

Again my first sentence was: Spags overall result good, dumb stuff mixed in.
"Dumb stuff mixed in".....because the Chiefs didn't win on every single 3rd and long?

:-), Ok guy.

If it worked, great!

If the opposing team counters it, "Why you do this dumb stuff, eh"?

LOL
[Reply]
COchief 06:58 PM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
That sounds like you have no idea what the defensive call was or what they were actually doing. You're just bitching because the result wasn't what you wanted. The Bengals are pros too, they're going to make some plays.
I'm not dying on any hills today and you might be right, however my problem with those calls was:

1. You can obviously see Burrow's body language go holy crap as the dline split and everyone dropped and he sprinted ahead. Maybe the Cin oline just clowned the two DTs, but it looked like a garbage call.

2. The 3rd and 14 was the result of bringing heat and getting a sack, it just annoys me that we then went soft and gave up a long uncontested catch right past the marker. I think generally anytime your D gives up a 3rd and 14 you can assume the call was less than ideal.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:06 PM 02-01-2023
I'm not dying on any hills today and you might be right, however my problem with those calls was:

1. You can obviously see Burrow's body language go holy crap as the dline split and everyone dropped and he sprinted ahead. Maybe the Cin oline just clowned the two DTs, but it looked like a garbage call.

2. The 3rd and 14 was the result of bringing heat and getting a sack, it just annoys me that we then went soft and gave up a long uncontested catch right past the marker. I think generally anytime your D gives up a 3rd and 14 you can assume the call was less than ideal.
Or in both cases, someone made a mistake.

I didn't see much 'soft' about anything all night, to be honest. I did see some mistakes, or Mcduffie fell a couple of times, or one of the recievers just ran a great route, or Burrow put a ball in a tiny window in double coverage and Chase or Higgins made a great play.

But there wasn't anything 'soft'.

As DJ outlined in great detail-and while I occasionally butt heads with him, his football knowledge is very high, and I learn things all of the time-sometimes you make a call and they've got exactly the right thing called to blow your shit up.

But I wouldn't call anything 'soft', not like Sutton and sitting 10 yards off the recievers on 3rd and 5 kind of shit.
[Reply]
COchief 07:12 PM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Or in both cases, someone made a mistake.

I didn't see much 'soft' about anything all night, to be honest. I did see some mistakes, or Mcduffie fell a couple of times, or one of the recievers just ran a great route, or Burrow put a ball in a tiny window in double coverage and Chase or Higgins made a great play.

But there wasn't anything 'soft'.

As DJ outlined in great detail-and while I occasionally butt heads with him, his football knowledge is very high, and I learn things all of the time-sometimes you make a call and they've got exactly the right thing called to blow your shit up.

But I wouldn't call anything 'soft', not like Sutton and sitting 10 yards off the recievers on 3rd and 5 kind of shit.
This place is pretty touchy these days, I suppose I'll own "dumb as f" might have been a little strong and to avoid battles maybe I'll go with "really annoyed me and did not make sense and sure ended up looking like a crappy call but I don't know the whole story and am not claiming to be an NFL DC or questioning anyone else's football acumen or manhood directly".

Thoughts, does it work better?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:27 PM 02-01-2023
This place is pretty touchy these days, I suppose I'll own "dumb as f" might have been a little strong and to avoid battles maybe I'll go with "really annoyed me and did not make sense and sure ended up looking like a crappy call but I don't know the whole story and am not claiming to be an NFL DC or questioning anyone else's football acumen or manhood directly".

Thoughts, does it work better?
Well, there are people who don't understand what a zone blitz is, but want to fire the DC every thread. It's annoying.

'What the hell was that?!' is an appropriate response.

'FUCKING FIRE FUCKING SPAGS' is probably going to get somebody irritated.

There are people here who expect the 85 Bears and to shut out opponents, apparently because anytime the other team makes a play, "This defense is embarassing" and shit like that.

And some folks are SO INVESTED in their opinions that they are wholly uninterested in learning anything, either, and will never admit when they're wrong.
[Reply]
COchief 07:33 PM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
And some folks are SO INVESTED in their opinions that they are wholly uninterested in learning anything, either, and will never admit when they're wrong.
Ha, yeah I get that vibe. I mean really I'm just a dude throwing an occasional opinion out. I have suffered through the dark days with this franchise and here and there I get flashbacks to Sutton/Gknob when the D gives up a long 3rd down, it still hurts...

Glad you're posting more these days old chap. :cheers:
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:48 PM 02-01-2023
We didn't 'go soft'

Bolton is set up to blitz. The RB flashes and instead of leaving him uncovered for an easy catch and run on Chase's side of the field (where again, we've bracketed him), Bolton comes off his blitz.

It's EXACTLY the kind of call that kept Burrow guessing all day. It was why he had to hitch instead of just firing to his hot.

And we weren't 'soft' on the coverage. We had Boyd in man and in fact had our best remaining man corner on him (McDuffie) right in his pocket until he made his cut. Taylor had sent the other WR on a vertical so Thornhill had to pick him up leaving Boyd with space and the ball got there right as he was making the cut.

Boyd is a really good receiver who briefly shook tight man coverage and had the ball delivered right on time. It. Happens.

It had NOTHING to do with going soft or any other such nonsense. We sent a blitz, the back picked it up and then went into a route so Bolton followed him.

Stop doubling down on stupid. You're flat wrong here.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:55 PM 02-01-2023
Oh, and Burrow's run? We had Joe fucking Burrow in space 3 yards past the LOS with Nick Bolton broken down and ready to make the stop for a 4 yard gain on 2nd and 13. And Bolton got juked out of his jock. By Joe Burrow.

THAT'S on Spags??? His job is to dial up plays that put his players in a position to succeed. The play he dialed up put his best tackler in a position to tackle a moderately athletic quarterback in the open field and in so doing keep them way behind the sticks.

What the hell else can you ask for?

It's just an absurd complaint and you've done nothing to support any of it.
[Reply]
Page 24 of 26
« First < 142021222324 2526 >
Up