— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) August 1, 2022

[Reply]
TribalElder 09:26 PM 08-19-2022
Hope to see d Watson related happy baby yoga pose fan art this season
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:38 PM 08-19-2022
Originally Posted by Dark Horse:
So the NFL thinks you can educate someone to prevent this type of behavior
I think more education/guidance for the younger generation could absolutely help this type of behavior.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 11:06 PM 08-19-2022
Probably don't understand what the issue is...

An athlete, who has led a privileged live, and most likely had an endless parade of women thrown at him, is in trouble for having professional massage therapists come to his home for private sessions and expecting extra services.

How old is he now? 25? How old was he when all of this started?

Given his life experience, which I don't know however based upon my limited experience of what college QBs experienced at a small college, I would say that him expecting to get what he wants is warranted and reasonable.

Doesn't mean I think it's right, it means I understand how he could think it was.

Like Vick and dog fighting; it's something he did and didn't think twice about it until people were outraged by it. There's a lot of things that go on in this world that people don't think twice about given their upbringing and experience.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:19 PM 08-19-2022
And if Watson was banned from ever playing another game, and didn't get his 250 million guaranteed salary...

Maybe the message would get through to all the athletes that think the rules don't apply to them...

:-)
[Reply]
crayzkirk 11:25 PM 08-19-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
And if Watson was banned from ever playing another game, and didn't get his 250 million guaranteed salary...

Maybe the message would get through to all the athletes that think the rules don't apply to them...

:-)
Like everyone in our society with money and privilege...

The rules don't apply... They know it and we know it.

The Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules.

We want to ruin someone's life because they wanted someone to touch his junk. I want to understand why people even care. It doesn't affect anyone other than him and the people accusing him.

If he were a Chief, would we all feel differently? Are we mad at Hunt because he kicked someone or because he lied about it and got kicked off the team? Hill was convicted in the court of public opinion and yet, KC fans supported him through it all.

Implicit bias...
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 07:30 AM 08-20-2022
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Probably don't understand what the issue is...

An athlete, who has led a privileged live, and most likely had an endless parade of women thrown at him, is in trouble for having professional massage therapists come to his home for private sessions and expecting extra services.

How old is he now? 25? How old was he when all of this started?

Given his life experience, which I don't know however based upon my limited experience of what college QBs experienced at a small college, I would say that him expecting to get what he wants is warranted and reasonable.

Doesn't mean I think it's right, it means I understand how he could think it was.

Like Vick and dog fighting; it's something he did and didn't think twice about it until people were outraged by it. There's a lot of things that go on in this world that people don't think twice about given their upbringing and experience.
He has been a stud QB since high school.

He probably rarely, if ever, had a girl tell him no. Of course, he thinks he can get away with anything.

There is no doubt that Watson received the No means No talk in high school and college. But for guys like him, he doesn't exist in that sphere of not getting ladies. They come to him.

More education is all well and good but unless they are also educating girls not to throw themselves at athletes just because they are athletes and rich, it won't change much.

Watson is the outcome of societal decisions.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 10:23 AM 08-24-2022

[Reply]
ToxSocks 10:49 AM 08-24-2022

An athlete, who has led a privileged live
Maybe once he turned pro he did, but IIRC, Watson did not live a privileged life but had a rather rough upbringing.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:51 AM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
Interesting insight into the situation. Thanks.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 11:37 AM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Interesting insight into the situation. Thanks.
You're very welcome.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:09 PM 08-24-2022
Like everyone in our society with money and privilege...

The rules don't apply... They know it and we know it.

The Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules.

We want to ruin someone's life because they wanted someone to touch his junk. I want to understand why people even care. It doesn't affect anyone other than him and the people accusing him.
The rules don't apply eh? So you think ordinary people would be paying $5MM in fines for these 'accusations" or more?

Chances are even if charges were filed in a situation like this a regular person probably wouldn't do 6 months in jail if any time.

$5MM is a hell of a lot more than most people would be giving up in this situation and its only because he has $ that he is paying so much. So really it works both ways.

Yea he has a contract worth a shit ton but $5MM is $5MM and he is losing that while not ever being charged with a crime.

So yea rules apply, just different expensive ones.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 12:50 PM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
The rules don't apply eh? So you think ordinary people would be paying $5MM in fines for these 'accusations" or more?

Chances are even if charges were filed in a situation like this a regular person probably wouldn't do 6 months in jail if any time.

$5MM is a hell of a lot more than most people would be giving up in this situation and its only because he has $ that he is paying so much. So really it works both ways.

Yea he has a contract worth a shit ton but $5MM is $5MM and he is losing that while not ever being charged with a crime.

Nah.

For starters, the dude basically forced his way out of Houston and was able to parlay that into a bidding war which ended with his receiving the most guaranteed money in league history. He absolutely ended up with a better deal because he sexually assaulted women.

Plus, and the key part you're missing, his contract was structured expecting that he'd be suspended this year. So typically had he been suspended he'd lose a prorated amount of his annual salary. But they structured the deal to directly avoid that. Most people don't have contracts with employers that were drawn up with the express purpose of not losing money if you're suspended during a period that you clearly expect to be suspended.

In the real world, people are regularly suspended by their employers without pay for their misconduct. Watson should be losing roughly 30mm (11/17 x 46mm AAV) but instead is being forced to pay a 5mm fine. He made out much better than your average person in fact.

And why are you putting "accusations" in quotes? Judge found he committed multiple instances of sexual assault. That case is closed.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 12:53 PM 08-24-2022

Mmhmm yes, I too am punished with 250m fully guaranteed. Perfect logic.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:35 PM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Nah.

For starters, the dude basically forced his way out of Houston and was able to parlay that into a bidding war which ended with his receiving the most guaranteed money in league history. He absolutely ended up with a better deal because he sexually assaulted women.

Plus, and the key part you're missing, his contract was structured expecting that he'd be suspended this year. So typically had he been suspended he'd lose a prorated amount of his annual salary. But they structured the deal to directly avoid that. Most people don't have contracts with employers that were drawn up with the express purpose of not losing money if you're suspended during a period that you clearly expect to be suspended.

In the real world, people are regularly suspended by their employers without pay for their misconduct. Watson should be losing roughly 30mm (11/17 x 46mm AAV) but instead is being forced to pay a 5mm fine. He made out much better than your average person in fact.

And why are you putting "accusations" in quotes? Judge found he committed multiple instances of sexual assault. That case is closed.
I fully understand the contract and how its structured and think it was pretty shady.

That being said the fines are based off the fact they make so much $. Its not irrelevant $. There are limits on how much anyone can be fined in situations.

If you run a stop sign and get into a crash, your fine is the same whether you make $10,000 a year or $100,000 a year correct?

The single judges opinion doesn't carry a shit ton of weight with me, that's 1 person's opinion vs 2 separate grand juries. Also that judge gave him less of a punishment than he ended up getting under the NFL so.....

Watson is a turd, he did some shady shit but the idea these guys get away with everything with no consequences is flat wrong. You can easily list the players who have lost millions upon millions of $ over the last 10 years or so and its way more than what your average person gives up for similar incidents. Kareem Hunt is a great example. Nobody goes to jail for what he did, why should he have paid such a price?

I'm not defending Watson the person, I just think people see players making crazy money so they think they should be penalized worse than everyone else because of it and frankly that's not how the system should work but they do in fact pay a bigger price.

In the end these guys have to traverse 2 legal systems rather than 1 so the idea they don't have to play by the rules normal people do is just wrong these days. This isn't 1995.

Edit: One could also argue the loss to his reputation and therefore endorsement $ is much greater than $5MM.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 01:57 PM 08-24-2022
I fully understand the contract and how its structured and think it was pretty shady.

That being said the fines are based off the fact they make so much $. Its not irrelevant $. There are limits on how much anyone can be fined in situations.

If you run a stop sign and get into a crash, your fine is the same whether you make $10,000 a year or $100,000 a year correct?

The single judges opinion doesn't carry a shit ton of weight with me, that's 1 person's opinion vs 2 separate grand juries. Also that judge gave him less of a punishment than he ended up getting under the NFL so.....

Watson is a turd, he did some shady shit but the idea these guys get away with everything with no consequences is flat wrong. You can easily list the players who have lost millions upon millions of $ over the last 10 years or so and its way more than what your average person gives up for similar incidents. Kareem Hunt is a great example. Nobody goes to jail for what he did, why should he have paid such a price?

I'm not defending Watson the person, I just think people see players making crazy money so they think they should be penalized worse than everyone else because of it and frankly that's not how the system should work but they do in fact pay a bigger price.

In the end these guys have to traverse 2 legal systems rather than 1 so the idea they don't have to play by the rules normal people do is just wrong these days. This isn't 1995.

Edit: One could also argue the loss to his reputation and therefore endorsement $ is much greater than $5MM.
This argument is ridiculous. Shady? It wasn't shady. It was deliberate. The guy is paid to do a job. He's being suspended from that job without pay. The contract was structured in a way where essentially he wouldn't be paid during the period of the suspension but would be paid double the next year (not exactly but that's the gist of it).

The absolute dollar amount is completely irrelevant. The issue is whether someone being suspended without pay should be paid just because it's a higher magnitude of money. And in no profession does it work like that.

He is being penalized less, not more.

No one has a right to be employed by the NFL. Watson could go take any number of other jobs. Same with Kareem Hunt.

I work in an industry where plenty of people are easily paid on par with and in many, many cases far more than football players. There's no part of me that feels the magnitude of the money has any relevance in this discussion.
[Reply]
Page 24 of 25
« First < 142021222324 25 >
Up