ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2312 of 3903
« First < 1312181222122262230223082309231023112312 231323142315231623222362241228123312 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bowser 03:39 PM 06-08-2020
And someone feel free to correct me or flame me, but in relation to how long this crud has been on our shores.....was there a story out a few weeks back about how some group took a reading of cell phones and their tracking in Wuhan in early October '19 and found that there was basically no cell phone traffic in a two block radius around the Wuhan lab? If so, wouldn't that be proof that China could well have known about this in September of last year, if not earlier?

*ducks conspiracy tomatoes being thrown*
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:02 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Yea I agree with all of your post, but my point is that people in this very thread shit on others who have questioned some of the info being passed as "fact" and then it turns out, its not a "fact" and its all been theory that may be 100% wrong.

I had several people jump on me about questioning asymptomatic spread and the Sweden study that found that children are not good vectors for spreading covid.

There is a metric shit ton of conflicting info on this stuff so to bash people who question some things makes zero sense as we are once again seeing.
Yeah, that's most of this thread... people entrenching themselves into an opinion then opinion spamming that opinion, while shitting on people who are entrenched in a different opinion.

I thought eDave's "bet people who thought this would get killed off by summer feel pretty stupid right now" was especially amusing just for that point... you can't have an opinion/thought/theory these days without being pigeonholed into having a side, and how dare you if your opinion changes based on changing facts/information/theories.

It's hard to have normal conversations with some people because they don't know what to do with someone who's on the fence about something or basically wants to think out loud on the issue while not picking sides.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:05 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Yeah, that's most of this thread... people entrenching themselves into an opinion then opinion spamming that opinion, while shitting on people who are entrenched in a different opinion.

I thought eDave's "bet people who thought this would get killed off by summer feel pretty stupid right now" was especially amusing just for that point... you can't have an opinion/thought/theory these days without being pigeonholed into having a side, and how dare you if your opinion changes based on changing facts/information/theories.

It's hard to have normal conversations with some people because they don't know what to do with someone who's on the fence about something or basically wants to think out loud on the issue while not picking sides.
Bet you're one of those right retards who were dumb enough to have an optimistic view of humanity. . . . Ha on you!!! :-)

[Reply]
cdcox 05:48 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:

Well, I'd like to see the research behind this.
If you read a story about this, it isn’t nearly the reversal it seems. She strongly distinguishes between truly asymptomatic, mildly symptomatic, and pre symptomatic. It is only the first group that they are claiming are rare to transmit. Pre-symptomatic individuals are still thought to be important in disease transmission. It doesn’t change policy with respect to assuming anyone you encounter can be infectious or even yourself. The big policy difference this makes is we don’t need to contact trace asymptomatic individuals.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:50 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
It's almost like global mitigation efforts worked.
No, actually the global mitigation didn't work very well, which is a good thing.

It caused there to be a big increase in herd immunity which kept the total numbers down.

With good mitigation, there is low herd immunity. Without herd immunity every city would have been another NYC.
[Reply]
cdcox 05:53 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
No, actually the global mitigation didn't work very well, which is a good thing.

It caused there to be a big increase in herd immunity which kept the total numbers down.

With good mitigation, there is low herd immunity. Without herd immunity every city would have been another NYC.
There is no evidence we are any where close to herd immunity.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:09 PM 06-08-2020
AZ hospitals will consider stoping elective surgeries again. Hospitals told they can suspend elective surgeries if staffing/occupancy is a concern with surge in hospitalization of COVID patients.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:25 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
AZ hospitals will consider stoping elective surgeries again. Hospitals told they can suspend elective surgeries if staffing/occupancy is a concern with surge in hospitalization of COVID patients.
That's actually the right way to do it. Not just shut shit down and send people home. I am sorry this is happening but I can understand shutting things down because you need those resources as opposed to what we did before.
[Reply]
eDave 06:48 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:

My sense of humor is taking a beating these days.
[Reply]
dirk digler 06:49 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
If you read a story about this, it isn’t nearly the reversal it seems. She strongly distinguishes between truly asymptomatic, mildly symptomatic, and pre symptomatic. It is only the first group that they are claiming are rare to transmit. Pre-symptomatic individuals are still thought to be important in disease transmission. It doesn’t change policy with respect to assuming anyone you encounter can be infectious or even yourself. The big policy difference this makes is we don’t need to contact trace asymptomatic individuals.
Also it was just 1 doctor on the panel and not an official position.
[Reply]
cdcox 06:52 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Also it was just 1 doctor on the panel and not an official position.
And the conclusions haven’t been published or peer reviewed.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:00 PM 06-08-2020

That's not how herd immunity works. In order for a disease with an R0 of around 3 to reach herd immunity, you need the number of infected people to be 1 -1/R0, which for this pathogen would result in approximately 2/3 of the country being infected.

Outside of vaccination, numbers going up is the only way to reach herd immunity.

The infection rate is going to have to increase by a factor of 5-10 to approach herd immunity in all but the hardest-hit areas of the US.

Sweden's serology studies demonstrated the flaw in their approach and now they're coming under increasing scrutiny for a continually growing death toll without concomitant herd immunity.

You have four ways to get rid of disease as a serious threat: vaccination, which simulates herd immunity, actual herd immunity, which requires significant morbidity and mortality, effective therapeutics, which allows you to reach herd immunity without significant morbidity and mortality, or mitigation strategies, which reduces the R0 to the point where the virus begins dying out (must be less than 1).

A number of studies in Europe have shown that mitigation strategies have been able to reduce R0 below 1, as have the efforts of several Asian countries. In the absence of a vaccine or effective therapeutics, it is the only sensible and humane approach.
[Reply]
Donger 07:58 AM 06-09-2020

I think you're confused on how herd immunity works.

So you don't think that we'd have more cases, and more deaths, if we hadn't mitigated?
[Reply]
O.city 08:17 AM 06-09-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
That's not how herd immunity works. In order for a disease with an R0 of around 3 to reach herd immunity, you need the number of infected people to be 1 -1/R0, which for this pathogen would result in approximately 2/3 of the country being infected.

Outside of vaccination, numbers going up is the only way to reach herd immunity.

The infection rate is going to have to increase by a factor of 5-10 to approach herd immunity in all but the hardest-hit areas of the US.

Sweden's serology studies demonstrated the flaw in their approach and now they're coming under increasing scrutiny for a continually growing death toll without concomitant herd immunity.

You have four ways to get rid of disease as a serious threat: vaccination, which simulates herd immunity, actual herd immunity, which requires significant morbidity and mortality, effective therapeutics, which allows you to reach herd immunity without significant morbidity and mortality, or mitigation strategies, which reduces the R0 to the point where the virus begins dying out (must be less than 1).

A number of studies in Europe have shown that mitigation strategies have been able to reduce R0 below 1, as have the efforts of several Asian countries. In the absence of a vaccine or effective therapeutics, it is the only sensible and humane approach.
The numbers have dropped too quickly for that to be the case though it seems to me. There's gotta be something going in where there's some built in immunity.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:19 AM 06-09-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
The numbers have dropped too quickly for that to be the case though it seems to me. There's gotta be something going in where there's some built in immunity.
It became summer where respiratory infections are less...it hasn't like completely vanished though.
[Reply]
Page 2312 of 3903
« First < 1312181222122262230223082309231023112312 231323142315231623222362241228123312 > Last »
Up