Page 23 of 54
« First < 131920212223 2425262733 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi
Hammock Parties 11:24 AM 02-10-2022
May 25. Let's goooo!

[Reply]
ToxSocks 04:13 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
We'd talked about that earlier, and I think I sort of understand the perspective others have a lot more now. Does some of your dislike stem from the fact they've, for lack of a better way to put it, torn Obi Wan down in order to prop her up? Sort of like Rey and Luke from TLJ?
I'm not saying this is Staylor's or GoChief's opinion, but because "woke" is on everyone's minds right now for better or worse, it's really hard to not see a black female character and immediately have thoughts that it's another Social Justice hire.

That's really not fair to black and female actors/actresses, but that's kind of the side effect of pushing this shit so hard recently.

It's a real disservice to those actors who are just looking to realize a dream.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:16 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I'm not saying this is Staylor's or GoChief's opinion, but because "woke" is on everyone's minds right now for better or worse, it's really hard to not see a black female character and immediately have thoughts that it's another Social Justice hire.

That's really not fair to black and female actors/actresses, but that's kind of the side effect of pushing this shit so hard recently.

Disney fucked that up by trying to preemptively brand anybody that criticized the character as racist. They were asking for it and got it.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:17 PM 06-06-2022
I just don't think she's playing the character well. Her whole sound and dialogue are just....off.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:20 PM 06-06-2022
Saw an interview she did and apparently Disney had connected her with John Boyega to preemptively prepare her for the backlash. Out of her own mouth she thought it was "weird". Pretty lame Disney has turned to cheap controversy to bolster the show.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 04:25 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I just don't think she's playing the character well. Her whole sound and dialogue are just....off.
Yeah it's a hard character to buy into.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:19 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Clay, what’s your opinion of the Reva character?
I don't have an issue with any of the characters in the show.

It's pretty clear she's ex-Padawan gaming the Imps to try to get to Vader and her performance fits that dynamic.

In fact, I would say that's WHY she might appear to be "over-acting" in some scenes. She's trying to be evil when she really doesn't know how. :-)

Ironically the only minor problem I have with her character is that she's black, which would never happen in The Dark Times era of Imperial rule. As a general rule, upper command was almost exclusively white and male.

So her being black AND female somewhat breaks immersion but I can allow it since she's force sensitive and they'd likely take whoever they could get in that regard.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:52 PM 06-06-2022
We'd talked about that earlier, and I think I sort of understand the perspective others have a lot more now. Does some of your dislike stem from the fact they've, for lack of a better way to put it, torn Obi Wan down in order to prop her up? Sort of like Rey and Luke from TLJ?
They haven't torn down anyone to prop her up.

She's already a far better character than Finn (interesting character at first that went nowhere), Rey (horribly developed mary sue) or that awful Jannah character they jammed into TROS.

She's not the greatest character ever, but she doesn't get in the way of the story.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:56 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
They haven't torn down anyone to prop her up.

She's already a far better character than Finn (interesting character at first that went nowhere), Rey (horribly developed mary sue) or that awful Jannah character they jammed into TROS.

She's not the greatest character ever, but she doesn't get in the way of the story.
I don't think she has either, but I've seen a ton of backlash about Obi Wan being completely outsmarted and outclassed by her (up to this point) and having to be saved by Leia at least twice now. Their point is it's Disney shitting on yet another established character from the old days to prop up their own character. Again, I don't agree with that but seen plenty of that sentiment.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:57 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:

I suspect that a desire for more diversity had a lot to do with her character and casting, but that’s honestly not the issue for me.

I’m just not a fan of the character or her portrayal.

It’s all just very cringe, especially when you can feel the redemption arc coming from the very beginning.

But I’m still enjoying the series.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:59 PM 06-06-2022
I don't think she has either, but I've seen a ton of backlash about Obi Wan being completely outsmarted and outclassed by her (up to this point) and having to be saved by Leia at least twice now. Their point is it's Disney shitting on yet another established character from the old days to prop up their own character. Again, I don't agree with that but seen plenty of that sentiment.
Yes, that really bothers me as well.

And if the leaks I read the other day are true, it’s only going to get worse.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 07:06 PM 06-06-2022
Yes, that really bothers me as well.

And if the leaks I read the other day are true, it’s only going to get worse.
As it should honestly. Obi-Wan learning that Anakin is alive and is, more or less, a monster should only lead to further feelings of guilt at what he helped create. If he was already a broken man, I can't imagine this will help any.

If he's going to defeat Vader in this series, it wouldn't make much sense for him to be able to do it without help given the story they've told us to this point.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:11 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
As it should honestly. Obi-Wan learning that Anakin is alive and is, more or less, a monster should only lead to further feelings of guilt at what he helped create. If he was already a broken man, I can't imagine this will help any.

If he's going to defeat Vader in this series, it wouldn't make much sense for him to be able to do it without help given the story they've told us to this point.
I have no problem with Obi-Wan losing to Vader this round.

It’s this trash/cringe fucking character getting the best of him, and possibly becoming the real hero in the end, that I take issue with.

And as Superturtle said, it’s more about them blatantly doing it to prop this new character up as opposed to having a good arc for Obi-Wan, you know, the main character of the show.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:20 PM 06-06-2022
I just don't see the problem with his arc so far, though. We've hit the halfway point and he's presumably hit rock bottom. Now going forward should be his redemption. If at the end of episode 6 he's still a putz it's a massive problem, but not going to get too upset unless that actually happens.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 07:21 PM 06-06-2022
I have no problem with Obi-Wan losing to Vader this round.

It’s this trash/cringe ****ing character getting the best of him, and possibly becoming the real hero in the end, that I take issue with.

And as Superturtle said, it’s more about them blatantly doing it to prop this new character up as opposed to having a good arc for Obi-Wan, you know, the main character of the show.
I think we differ on our definition of what a good arc for Obi-Wan is. His depiction to this point hasn't bothered me at all and it won't bother me if he's further bested by the Third Sister (or any other force-sensitive character) at all. He's not only past his prime at this point, but he's completely out of practice and a shell of what he once was.

While they appear to be elevating the Third Sister character at the same time (for what purpose, it is not yet clear but I've thought it was obvious she was looking to betray Vader from E1), this story is still mostly about bridging the gap between the Obi-Wan character we saw in the Prequels and the one in ANH. This ground should be covered.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:32 PM 06-06-2022
Here is what I think happens.

By the end of the show,
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Page 23 of 54
« First < 131920212223 2425262733 > Last »
Up