ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2255 of 3903
« First < 1255175521552205224522512252225322542255 225622572258225922652305235527553255 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BleedingRed 01:50 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
QFMFT
Lmao
[Reply]
ChiTown 01:50 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
This is something that does get discussed around here every now and then. I have a theory as to why this board leans the way it does to be honest.

[Reply]
BleedingRed 01:51 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:

I like yours more
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 01:54 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
It's not very complicated.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 01:55 PM 05-27-2020
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Mecca 01:59 PM 05-27-2020
LOL...

It's actually pretty standard stuff. I've been here since 2003 so by and large the board tends to skew middle age to older. I would wager if you took an age poll 70% at minimum that post here are at least 35 and honestly that number might stay that high as you increased. It's also a forum based around a midwestern sports team, the midwest has a general set of beliefs for the most part, especially outside of cities.

We basically have a lot of older posters, lots of rural area posters, and frankly this is still the bible belt so we have that too. And we know how all of that sways..We're also in a time where things are being taken to levels of a bunch of genders, the way you talk, etc etc.

So I think we have a good number of posters who are basically pushing back really hard because to them where we are in the world is an attack on who they are as people. So this generally means agreeing with some really minority opinions or taking things to inane levels to try to prove a point.

I personally have said a hundred times I think identity politics which is basically what this is, is the worst shit ever and causes this type of stuff. We can no longer find common ground to have the greater good for all, now everything is a fucking pissing contest until someone feels like they got fucked.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:02 PM 05-27-2020
LOL...

It's actually pretty standard stuff. I've been here since 2003 so by and large the board tends to skew middle age to older. I would wager if you took an age poll 70% at minimum that post here are at least 35 and honestly that number might stay that high as you increased. It's also a forum based around a midwestern sports team, the midwest has a general set of beliefs for the most part, especially outside of cities.

We basically have a lot of older posters, lots of rural area posters, and frankly this is still the bible belt so we have that too. And we know how all of that sways..We're also in a time where things are being taken to levels of a bunch of genders, the way you talk, etc etc.

So I think we have a good number of posters who are basically pushing back really hard because to them where we are in the world is an attack on who they are as people. So this generally means agreeing with some really minority opinions or taking things to inane levels to try to prove a point.

I personally have said a hundred times I think identity politics which is basically what this is, is the worst shit ever and causes this type of stuff. We can no longer find common ground to have the greater good for all, now everything is a ****ing pissing contest until someone feels like they got ****ed.
TBH our common ground is the Chiefs
[Reply]
SupDock 02:02 PM 05-27-2020
LOL...

I personally have said a hundred times I think identity politics which is basically what this is, is the worst shit ever and causes this type of stuff. We can no longer find common ground to have the greater good for all, now everything is a fucking pissing contest until someone feels like they got fucked.

Tldr

Just kidding, thanks for taking the time to write that
[Reply]
Mecca 02:05 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
TBH our common ground is the Chiefs
To be perfectly honest I have views that sway to both sides yet I get called a liberal constantly. I personally think both sides take things to completely ridiculous levels and instead of being a nation full of sensitive twats and over reactionary dumbasses maybe we can you know find a middle place.
[Reply]
kgrund 02:05 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I'm saying the CDC didn't even use those studies because they pulled all their fatality information from US cases in the month of March. It's in the footnotes.

More information = less uncertainty.

If you look at data in New York City, around 25% have antibodies. That means there have been 2,000,000 infections in that city alone. Of those we have around 16,000 deaths now (and those deaths and infections will climb, as they both have lag time, but deaths and antibody development are relatively close in overall time).

16,000/2,000,000 is a 0.8% IFR

Spain sampled 90,000 people over 36,000 households and found 5% were infected, which extrapolated to a 1.1% IFR.

You also have to realize that models have degrees of uncertainty. 0.4 is their best estimate, it's not their prediction. It can range from 0.2 to 1.0. If it's 0.9, the model isn't wrong.
I know what you are saying. I understand models and what a best estimate represents. What I am trying to say is that the CDC is likely more than aware of any study that you might mention given that they do this for a living. Perhaps they have issues with these studies or they believe the studies do not accurately reflect what is going on in the United States when viewed as a whole.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:08 PM 05-27-2020
To be perfectly honest I have views that sway to both sides yet I get called a liberal constantly. I personally think both sides take things to completely ridiculous levels and instead of being a nation full of sensitive twats and over reactionary dumbasses maybe we can you know find a middle place.
That doesn't sell, if you catch what I'm saying. Things are made far worse than they really are in reality all the time.

Happens when media corporations consolidate into 4/6. I miss the days of the Sherman Act.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:12 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
That doesn't sell, if you catch what I'm saying. Things are made far worse than they really are in reality all the time.

Happens when media corporations consolidate into 4/6. I miss the days of the Sherman Act.
I don't watch the news, I know what it is. Every single country out there is selling a bill of goods whether it is on tv or through the schools. History is written by the winners is a phrase that exists for a reason.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 02:12 PM 05-27-2020
That died with the Fairness Doctrine, opinion taking the place of news, and the move of each party to the absolute fringes.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:14 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
That died with the Fairness Doctrine, opinion taking the place of news, and the move of each party to the absolute fringes.
fact
[Reply]
Mecca 02:16 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
The opinion as news stuff was a massive blow, to much of our country is uneducated and easily manipulated for that to ever have a good result.

For the history of America yes our parties are now sitting on the fringes. It goes a bit more murky if you just start doing a comparison sake around the rest of the 1st world though, that kinda open your eyes a bit on where we sit and where things could go.
[Reply]
Page 2255 of 3903
« First < 1255175521552205224522512252225322542255 225622572258225922652305235527553255 > Last »
Up