ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 27
« First < 121819202122 23242526 > Last »
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
duncan_idaho 10:47 AM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
So I tried to watch this movie and it was just too slow; fell asleep after about 45 minutes. The guy that told me to watch it had read the books and told me maybe that's why he enjoyed it.

So I started reading the first book - I like it. Sorta GOT meets Star Wars. It takes the palace intrigue of GOT with the clear 'good guy/bad guy' setup in Star Wars. There's really very little moral ambiguity here.
Dune is pretty classic Hero's Journey.

The complexities of a hero/messiah complex are dealt with in later Dune material. You'll dig it. (Just don't expect Frazod to speak of it glowingly).
[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:53 AM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Dune is pretty classic Hero's Journey.

The complexities of a hero/messiah complex are dealt with in later Dune material. You'll dig it. (Just don't expect Frazod to speak of it glowingly).
So... what books in the universe are a must read? I got Dune after watching the movie but now I'm wondering where I should go next and no one online seems to agree on what books in the series to read.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:56 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
So... what books in the universe are a must read? I got Dune after watching the movie but now I'm wondering where I should go next and no one online seems to agree on what books in the series to read.

I would start by finishing the trilogy. Maybe read Paul of Dune and The Winds of dune in between dune (Paul) dune messiah (winds) and children of dune.

If you like those, there’s a second series beyond them, written by Frank Herbert, then another series beyond that, written by his son from Dad’s notes.

And if you really like it all, there is prequel stuff worth checking out. There’s a trilogy that deals with the lead up to the butler Ian jihad, as well as House Atreides-House Harlingen - House Corrino, which lead up to the events of Dune.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:31 AM 01-05-2022
Yeah, Duncan evading the lasers from the capitol ships looked awesome on the big screen, but it totally flew in the face of the source material. Now that I'm thinking about it, weren't there troops using beam weapons as well? I remember the part in the book that talked about the atomic explosion from a beam weapon hitting a shield....
[Reply]
HC_Chief 10:55 AM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Yeah, Duncan evading the lasers from the capitol ships looked awesome on the big screen, but it totally flew in the face of the source material. Now that I'm thinking about it, weren't there troops using beam weapons as well? I remember the part in the book that talked about the atomic explosion from a beam weapon hitting a shield....
Yep, atomic detonation when a beam meets shield. Cannot use beam weapons when shields are in use...at all. Even personal shields, as sported by the Atreides, would result in a massive detonation that would level a city. Due to this the Harkonnens had to use "ancient weaponry" to assault the city (artillery)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:18 PM 01-07-2022
{hits the halfway point}

Holy shit.

New submission for Washington’s football team name.

The Washington Freman. Damn. These guys are bad ass.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 06:35 PM 01-10-2022
So that was sort of a Stephen King “and then it was over” and ending.

Feels like the last 2-3 chapters needed more time. It all got really hurried and strangely flat towards the end. The development of Alia and return of Gurney seemed like they could’ve gotten more attention, as well as what went on with Hawat, who’s routinely referred to as potentially the most exceptional Mentat in generations but we see little/no evidence of it.

Just seems like the last 1/4 left a lot of meat on the bones and took a little starch out of it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:49 AM 01-19-2022
Finished Messiah.

Didn't dislike it, but it seems like an epilogue more than a self-contained story. Seems a lot of effort for about half a novel that largely just moves a few pieces here and there. I think the idea that it casts a new light on the 'dark side' of being a Messiah figure is a bit overblown as Paul was just as torn through most of the original story. It demonstrates the impact of the Jihad he was trying to avoid, but again, that was all alluded to in the original book as well.

It just seemed like the sort of thing 3 or 4 chapters at the end of the original could've accomplished. Almost as though he sat down to write a book, ended up realizing he wanted to write the 3rd book but needed to fill in the gap somehow to get there so he added the 2nd book after the fact to move the story forward just a tick to where he wanted it to be.

Unfortunately I can't find a good source for the Paul of Dune or other 'interim' stories to get them to my Kindle. Anybody know of a good spot? I wonder if my kindle unlimited subscription will have them while I still have my 3 free months.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:58 PM 01-19-2022
Finished Messiah.

Didn't dislike it, but it seems like an epilogue more than a self-contained story. Seems a lot of effort for about half a novel that largely just moves a few pieces here and there. I think the idea that it casts a new light on the 'dark side' of being a Messiah figure is a bit overblown as Paul was just as torn through most of the original story. It demonstrates the impact of the Jihad he was trying to avoid, but again, that was all alluded to in the original book as well.

It just seemed like the sort of thing 3 or 4 chapters at the end of the original could've accomplished. Almost as though he sat down to write a book, ended up realizing he wanted to write the 3rd book but needed to fill in the gap somehow to get there so he added the 2nd book after the fact to move the story forward just a tick to where he wanted it to be.

Unfortunately I can't find a good source for the Paul of Dune or other 'interim' stories to get them to my Kindle. Anybody know of a good spot? I wonder if my kindle unlimited subscription will have them while I still have my 3 free months.
Well sure, he's torn, but so what? Billions of people are being killed in his name by his fanatical devotees who would stop doing it if he commanded them to stop doing it. The Fremen in Messiah make the Sardaukar look like the cops from Reno 911. Giving him a pass is sort of like saying Hitler was okay because he loved his dog.

As for the kindle thing, I have no idea. When it comes to reading, I'm an old fart and only do actual physical books.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:07 PM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Well sure, he's torn, but so what? Billions of people are being killed in his name by his fanatical devotees who would stop doing it if he commanded them to stop doing it. The Fremen in Messiah make the Sardaukar look like the cops from Reno 911. Giving him a pass is sort of like saying Hitler was okay because he loved his dog.

As for the kindle thing, I have no idea. When it comes to reading, I'm an old fart and only do actual physical books.
I just don't think I needed it spelled out.

I felt like we knew at the end of Dune that billions were going to die. It was a Jihad across the known universe. He lamented the 'dark path' a dozen different times before he 'saw' that it was inescapable by the end. Did you finish Dune thinking the Freman were going to create a Utopia and live happily ever after? I certainly didn't - I wrapped that book knowing full well that a LOT of people were gonna die in Paul's name w/ the Atreides banners flying overhead.

Like I said - I just don't think Messiah changed anything. Give him a pass, don't give him a pass - I'm cool with either approach. Was he an unfortunate tool of a grand design or was he complicit or even responsible for all those deaths? I dunno - and unfortunately I don't believe Messiah does anything to answer it either. We STILL don't know how reliable a narrator Paul is or the depths of his prescience because the book takes great pains to make it as scattershot as possible.

I ended Messiah with the same view of Paul, the Jihad, the entire concept of the Kwisatz Haderach and divine plans as I had going into it. The book could've been more or it could've been less. It could've made more clear what actual agency he had in all this or it could've dispensed with most of the 'torment' and given us just a few extra chapters elsewhere.

It ended in a mushy middle that ultimately didn't accomplish anything that I could see apart from a bit of fan service.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:00 PM 01-19-2022
I just don't think I needed it spelled out.

I felt like we knew at the end of Dune that billions were going to die. It was a Jihad across the known universe. He lamented the 'dark path' a dozen different times before he 'saw' that it was inescapable by the end. Did you finish Dune thinking the Freman were going to create a Utopia and live happily ever after? I certainly didn't - I wrapped that book knowing full well that a LOT of people were gonna die in Paul's name w/ the Atreides banners flying overhead.

Like I said - I just don't think Messiah changed anything. Give him a pass, don't give him a pass - I'm cool with either approach. Was he an unfortunate tool of a grand design or was he complicit or even responsible for all those deaths? I dunno - and unfortunately I don't believe Messiah does anything to answer it either. We STILL don't know how reliable a narrator Paul is or the depths of his prescience because the book takes great pains to make it as scattershot as possible.

I ended Messiah with the same view of Paul, the Jihad, the entire concept of the Kwisatz Haderach and divine plans as I had going into it. The book could've been more or it could've been less. It could've made more clear what actual agency he had in all this or it could've dispensed with most of the 'torment' and given us just a few extra chapters elsewhere.

It ended in a mushy middle that ultimately didn't accomplish anything that I could see apart from a bit of fan service.
Simply put, I just hated the way the Atreides went from being the Starks in the first book to the galactic taliban in the second. The overpowering religious zealotry was also very off putting for me; I don't like it in my science fiction any more than I do in real life. As things got weirder and weirder, I basically quit caring about the central characters and what happened to them. It was the beginning of a steep decline that, for me, started with my favorite book of all time and ended midway through the fourth book, which was pure shit.

That's why I enjoyed the prequel books co-written by Herbert's son so much, despite their flaws. The Atreides were still the Atreides, and they did Atreides things.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:03 PM 01-19-2022
Simply put, I just hated the way the Atreides went from being the Starks in the first book to the galactic taliban in the second. The overpowering religious zealotry was also very off putting for me; I don't like it in my science fiction any more than I do in real life. As things got weirder and weirder, I basically quit caring about the central characters and what happened to them. It was the beginning of a steep decline that, for me, started with my favorite book of all time and ended midway through the fourth book, which was pure shit.

That's why I enjoyed the prequel books co-written by Herbert's son so much, despite their flaws. The Atreides were still the Atreides, and they did Atreides things.
And maybe I just read the first one differently than you did - possibly having been hardened into a cynic through life and the anti-hero era of television.

I actually texted the person that put me on the series about 2/3 of the way in and said ‘man, he’s going HARD into the religious idolatry’

I see what you’re saying regarding Leto - he was a truly noble figure from the jump. With Paul I felt a pretty hard shift in tone shorty after the fight with Jamis and Jessica’s test.

I just finished the first book absolutely certain that galactic taliban (right down to the Jihad Paul conceded was inevitable) was EXACTLY what they would become. Their motives were more ‘pure’ than the Harkonnens, but hey, that’s what the Taliban says as well.

It felt like Herbert telegraphed this particular ‘shift’ far sooner than Messiah.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:30 PM 01-19-2022
There's a two year gap between the conclusion of the first part (also, the end of the movie) and the beginning of the second part. Obviously Paul goes through some serious, life-altering changes during this time, and as you've previously mentioned, the book does somewhat lazily gloss over that. It is, of course, logical that an angry child, traumatized by so much personal loss, taken in by a band of zealot savages and regularly engaging in violent acts would experience significant personality changes. I just never really thought about that when I first read it.

I think it's pretty obvious Leto would not have approved of the man Paul became. I assume lots of Leto-types fell to Fremen blades during the jihad.

You've actually forced me to reexamine Dune quite a bit. I appreciate that, although the teenager buried deep inside me thinks you kind of suck. :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:50 PM 01-19-2022
There's a two year gap between the conclusion of the first part (also, the end of the movie) and the beginning of the second part. Obviously Paul goes through some serious, life-altering changes during this time, and as you've previously mentioned, the book does somewhat lazily gloss over that. It is, of course, logical that an angry child, traumatized by so much personal loss, taken in by a band of zealot savages and regularly engaging in violent acts would experience significant personality changes. I just never really thought about that when I first read it.

I think it's pretty obvious Leto would not have approved of the man Paul became. I assume lots of Leto-types fell to Fremen blades during the jihad.

You've actually forced me to reexamine Dune quite a bit. I appreciate that, although the teenager buried deep inside me thinks you kind of suck. :-)
I think Leto would appreciate Paul's attempts to do what he thinks is right. Hell, even Leto noted that they conquered and kept Caladan through "Sea and Air power" and a great deal of his benevolence towards the Fremen was strategic and pragmatic.

Leto certainly had an imperialist streak of his own. And I think he'd have mostly been puzzled by Paul's prescience (though his experiences with Jessica may have tempered that).

I think Leto would've likely justified a great deal of what Paul did as most fathers would. If you squint you can square it with Leto's moral compass. But it requires more insight into the reliability of Paul as a narrator than we (I) have to this point.

But to your second point - yeah, I don't think there's any question that a whole slew of noble men died in the Jihad. If tens of billions fell, at least a few of them were bound to have been chosen honor over their life.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:09 PM 01-19-2022
I don't believe Leto would have ever bought into the religious aspect of it.

Hell, it was made clear in the book that the Fremen were simpletons duped into accepting Paul and Jessica through Bene Gesserit subterfuge, which occurred on many other worlds as well. I believe the line was "these people have been beautifully prepared for us."
[Reply]
Page 22 of 27
« First < 121819202122 23242526 > Last »
Up