ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 217 of 726
« First < 117167207213214215216217 218219220221227267317717 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
DeezNutz 02:25 PM 10-05-2011
"We don't like you anymore; we want to leave."

No, Kevin. The lights flipped on at 2:00 am, and Texas doesn't look very appealing in non-bar lighting.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:25 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by DeezNutz:
:-). This is going to be more stable than there!!! Forget everything that you've seen and heard!! Three imaginary teams have left, and there will be no more!!!

[Reply]
Bowser 02:27 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by Wickedson:
What about the post?

That one of your fans thinks KU is now a cupcake because you've had a coach in place for a decade and you've beaten KU twice in a row?

Oh damn, time to surrender the state. MU won, it's over fellas!
No, the part where we haven't beaten you 3 years in a row since waybackwhen. But I think you got my point before this post.
[Reply]
Bambi 02:27 PM 10-05-2011
Jack Harry is gonna punch KK in the mouth.
[Reply]
eazyb81 02:27 PM 10-05-2011
KK has zero clue on the TV contracts and is now just going with his assumption the Big 12 makes the same as the SEC.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:29 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by eazyb81:
KK has zero clue on the TV contracts and is now just going with his assumption the Big 12 makes the same as the SEC.
Funny, I don't see the Big XII playing every Saturday on CBS. Where does this magical money come from? I must find its source!
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:29 PM 10-05-2011

[Reply]
Bambi 02:30 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You're really this stupid, eh?

Opening day attendence: 58,000
Memorial Stadium capacity: 71,000

I.E. a verified 80% capacity and your claims that the number was inflated are, once again, full of shit.

I didn't figure I needed to spell it out for you. Guess I was wrong.
Oh you were talking announced attendance?

lol

we don't need to go there I suppose.

I see with my eyes. And my eyes don't see 80%.

But again, I have no problem with the crowd. It's actually pretty good.
[Reply]
Dayze 02:30 PM 10-05-2011
KK: 'they could go 0-12 in football"

JH: "well....they're not going to go 0-12, I can guarantee you that"

KK. "didn't say they would...but they 'could'"

jfc.
[Reply]
OmahaChief 02:31 PM 10-05-2011
KKs statement that the Big 12 with a 13 year rights grant is more stable than the SEC is completely offbase. How he can even think that is beyond belief. He is really reaching today. He is delusional.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:31 PM 10-05-2011
Just for the record, I think if Mizzou leaves, it will indeed suck for the KC Metro area. It will also suck to not see the old games played on a regular basis any longer, but I will definitely look forward to forging new rivalries, if indeed this does happen.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:33 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by Wickedson:
Oh you were talking announced attendance?

lol

we don't need to go there I suppose.

I see with my eyes. And my eyes don't see 80%.

But again, I have no problem with the crowd. It's actually pretty good.
That's because you don't realize how a thriving student section actually works.

See all the lunatics piled into the center there? They're actually supposed to be spread out a hell of a lot thinner than that, but the crowd tends to pile into the centers and on top of itself.

And announced attendance is generally reliable (as opposed to paid attendance).

But hey, keep on fighting the good fight, beaker.
[Reply]
HemiEd 02:33 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I guess I could see that for an MU fan in St. Louis, who might end up hating Illinois more or whatever... but, for anyone who went to either school, I don't think it really goes away just because you live in St. Louis and not KC.

Like I said, the whole "who cares more" thing is about superiority.... KU FB would cling onto beating Mizzou, but KU BB just wants to escape Columbia with a victory. And it's the opposite for MU. I've lived with MU fans, and of course they're everywhere around KC, but it doesn't mean I really care about the rivalry.

If MU goes to the SEC, of course they aren't going to miss playing KU in football every season, and I don't see why they would want to schedule an out of conference rival when the SEC is already going to be brutal. And I don't think KU would miss MU in BB, which is probably one reason Self said they won't go out of their way to schedule them.
Exactly, this is what I tried to say about 100 posts ago, with less words.
[Reply]
Pants 02:39 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by eazyb81:
What are the actual contract numbers? What would MU make in the new, stable Big12 with the FOX contract compared to what they stand to make should they go to the SEC?
[Reply]
Bambi 02:39 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
That's because you don't realize how a thriving student section actually works.

See all the lunatics piled into the center there? They're actually supposed to be spread out a hell of a lot thinner than that, but the crowd tends to pile into the centers and on top of itself.

And announced attendance is generally reliable (as opposed to paid attendance).

But hey, keep on fighting the good fight, beaker.
Yea, sure looked like that on TV.

speaking of TV:

3rd tier $$ for Jayhawk TV,

Kansas-Texas Football Game Set For 6 p.m.

KU-UT game will be televised on the Jayhawk Television Network.

Oct. 5, 2011

LAWRENCE, Kan. - Kansas and Texas will kick off at 6 p.m., on Saturday, Oct. 29, at Darryl K. Royal Stadium in Austin, Texas, it was announced Wednesday. The game will be broadcast live on both the Longhorn Network and the Jayhawk Television Network.

The game will air in High Definition on the following Jayhawk Television Network (JTN) over-the-air stations in Kansas City and throughout the state of Kansas:

KSMO 62 - Kansas City
WIBW 13 (CBS) - Topeka
KSAS 24 (Fox) - Wichita
KAAS-TV (Fox) - Salina
KOCW-TV (Fox) - Great Bend
KSAS-TV (Fox) - Dodge City
KAAS-TV (Fox) - Garden City

The Jayhawk Network will supplement The Longhorn Network's feed of the game with JTN announcers (to be determined), graphics and cameras. It is JTN's first-ever statewide football telecast; the game will appear on the Longhorn Television Network in Texas and elsewhere around the country.

The telecast agreement is consistent with the process approved by the Big 12 Conference Board of Directors. ABC maintains its "first-selection" rights to games on Oct. 29; this agreement between the Jayhawk and Longhorn Networks assures that the other four Big 12 Conference games that day will be televised as well.

As it has for many years, the Jayhawk Television Network will also televise five men's basketball games throughout the state of Kansas. The basketball and football games represent some of the more than 200 events that will air on the various platforms (over-the-air, cable and All-Access) of the Jayhawk Television Network during the 2011-12 academic year. Most will appear on Kansas Athletics' AT&T Jayhawk All-Access, which is available via kuathletics.com.

Fans who subscribe to AT&T All-Access can watch Late Night in the Phog, the annual tipoff of basketball practice, scheduled for Friday, Oct. 14. Subscribers can also watch:

• KU's two men's basketball exhibition contests
• Football Coach Turner Gill's post-game press conferences after home games
• Gill's weekly press conferences
• Football, men's basketball and women's basketball coaches' weekly television shows
• Home women's basketball games
• The Kansas Relays and other special events, including postgame interviews in many of Kansas' 18 varsity sports.

Fans who subscribe may also listen to:
• The complete radio broadcasts of KU football and men's basketball contests, including pre- and post-game shows and post-game interviews with the coaches
• Men's basketball coach Bill Self's weekly press conferences
• Weekly Hawk Talk radio shows with Turner Gill, Bill Self and women's basketball coach Bonnie Henrickson, and
• Rock Chalk Sports Talk, a weekly hour-long radio show highlighting Kansas Athletics.

In addition, KU fans can watch home volleyball matches and baseball games free of charge. Kansas fans can subscribe to Jayhawk All-Access by going to www.kuathletics.com and clicking on the AT&T Jayhawk All-Access button on the right. Jayhawk All-Access subscriptions are only $9.95 per month or $79.95 per year.
[Reply]
Page 217 of 726
« First < 117167207213214215216217 218219220221227267317717 > Last »
Up