ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 216 of 335
« First < 116166206212213214215216 217218219220226266316 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Thread
BigRedChief 08:29 PM 01-08-2015
Feel free to discuss any future speculation, theories. Anything from the books is fair game to post. Everything that has been broadcast on TV or from HBO. No spoilers needed.

1. If you watched or know the events that will take place in a unaired episode that has not been broadcast on HBO, you must put all the information and comments in a spoiler tag.
  2. Do not post any media of any kind involving actual content from unaired episodes without being in a spoiler. The only exception to the spoiler rule is content publicly posted from HBO and or the GOT actor themselves. Teasers, promos, trailers etc.

Any person unable to follow the spoiler rules will be banned from this thread. 14 days for first offense. Perm banned from the thread for a 2nd offense.

[Reply]
keg in kc 10:37 AM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Truest version, perhaps.

Best? Eh, I dunno. The television show has tightened up and improved some areas.
I'm trying to think of anything the tv show has done better than the books, and I'm drawing a blank. Which is not to say it hasn't done some things well, or that there aren't entire print chapters I don't skim through or outright skip.
[Reply]
RustShack 10:45 AM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I'm trying to think of anything the tv show has done better than the books, and I'm drawing a blank. Which is not to say it hasn't done some things well, or that there aren't entire print chapters I don't skim through or outright skip.
Well besides making some storylines less boring and drawn out, and more enjoyable for television.
[Reply]
Hawk 10:46 AM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
{shrug}

About 30% of his last couple of books has been damn near unreadable. If it's convoluted, he's made it that way.

Tip o' the cap to him for 3 strong books that made one hell of a world in which to operate. Sadly, I can't say much more than that about his writing skill in the last decade or so.
I enjoyed Books 4 and 5 quite a bit the second time through them when I read them as one book together (this is KEY), and when I slowed down enought o try to find the subtleties and hints that he does so well. I think he did a real disservice to them by splitting them as he did so they run concurrently in time until about 2/3 of the way through book 5. When you read them together, you get more distance between the boringest (is that a word) chapters, you get all the characters instead of leaving out some of the best ones, and the timeline and story flow is light years better.

Plus when you approach the slower chapters with a frame of trying to learn about the world he created and trying to find all the little hints and foreshadowing, they become more bearable. But I do read faster than many people, so maybe that helps.

Bottom line though...Books 1 - 3 were great books and set up a fascinating world and had a ton of action, especially book 3. But a majority of the really interesting theories about the books come from Books 4 and 5. They are not as exciting as books 1-3, no doubt, but they are every bit as interesting if you really dive into that world.
[Reply]
Hawk 10:50 AM 06-09-2016
Not sure the show has done things better so much as some of the actors have brought the characters to life in ways that made me enjoy those characters sooooo much more in the show than in the books. Examples:

Khal Drogo: Jason Mamoa rocked that role and I became a fan of Drogo and his chemistry with Dany, whereas in the book I didn't give him a lot of thought.

Robb Stark: He seemed a minor character in the books to be honest, but I liked him MUCH better on the show.

Marjory Tyrell: Another one who did little for me in the books, but has been great on the show.

I'm sure there are others, but those came to mind first.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:51 AM 06-09-2016
A Dance with Dragons was a hell of a lot easier to read than it was to listen to. Roy Dotrice came back to narrate the audiobook (he did an amazing job on the first three) and sounded like he was either on his last legs or just mailing it in while narrating. He was calling Catelyn KATE-lyn and not CAT-lyn, among other half assedness. So bad.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 10:55 AM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by Hawk:
Not sure the show has done things better so much as some of the actors have brought the characters to life in ways that made me enjoy those characters sooooo much more in the show than in the books. Examples:

Khal Drogo: Jason Mamoa rocked that role and I became a fan of Drogo and his chemistry with Dany, whereas in the book I didn't give him a lot of thought.

Robb Stark: He seemed a minor character in the books to be honest, but I liked him MUCH better on the show.

Marjory Tyrell: Another one who did little for me in the books, but has been great on the show.

I'm sure there are others, but those came to mind first.
Tywin Lannister. Charles Dance absolutely crushed that role.
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:56 AM 06-09-2016
Actually liked all those characters in the books. The Red Wedding, in particular, and its aftermath was and still is just freaking devastating to read, in part because I liked Robb so much.

But I think what you describe is at least in part due to the difference between print and tv: every major character on tv has the same relative weight, since things aren't broken up by PoV.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:10 AM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet:
Yes he did
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:23 AM 06-09-2016
I loved the Arya-Tywin conversations.

I also preferred Robert Baratheon's character on the show. The show only "war stories" and "five v. one" scenes were standouts.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:24 AM 06-09-2016
The Iron Islands process to pick a new King was better in the TV version. Hated the long drawn out political battle of houses and backstabbing and pages and pages of GRMM describing banquets and halls.

I have liked what the TV added that wasn't in the books. Brienne and the Hound battle. Bronn and Jamie interactions. Tyrion in the TV series. He was missing for a lot of the books.

But, the TV version totally fucked up Dorne and the Sand Snakes and the Direwolfs.
[Reply]
Jilly 11:58 AM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
The Iron Islands process to pick a new King was better in the TV version. Hated the long drawn out political battle of houses and backstabbing and pages and pages of GRMM describing banquets and halls.

I have liked what the TV added that wasn't in the books. Brienne and the Hound battle. Bronn and Jamie interactions. Tyrion in the TV series. He was missing for a lot of the books.

But, the TV version totally ****ed up Dorne and the Sand Snakes and the Direwolfs.
I was actually wondering about that. I haven't read the books, don't want to. But it seems in the show, the Direwolves had a significance in the beginning, but now they've all just died or faded into the background.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:25 PM 06-09-2016
I believe that's your answer.

The pacing has been far better in the show. As you've noted, you've skipped entire swaths of the books and with good reason. Martin's books are so ponderous that the story will get lost in the weeds at times.

And frankly, he's only getting worse.

I'm honestly not convinced he'll even wrap this thing up in 2 more. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he decided that the last book needed to be split into 2 more and in the end, I doubt the ending will be any more satisfying, just a lot harder to get to.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:26 PM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by Hawk:
I enjoyed Books 4 and 5 quite a bit the second time through them when I read them as one book together (this is KEY), and when I slowed down enought o try to find the subtleties and hints that he does so well. I think he did a real disservice to them by splitting them as he did so they run concurrently in time until about 2/3 of the way through book 5. When you read them together, you get more distance between the boringest (is that a word) chapters, you get all the characters instead of leaving out some of the best ones, and the timeline and story flow is light years better.

Plus when you approach the slower chapters with a frame of trying to learn about the world he created and trying to find all the little hints and foreshadowing, they become more bearable. But I do read faster than many people, so maybe that helps.

Bottom line though...Books 1 - 3 were great books and set up a fascinating world and had a ton of action, especially book 3. But a majority of the really interesting theories about the books come from Books 4 and 5. They are not as exciting as books 1-3, no doubt, but they are every bit as interesting if you really dive into that world.
And yes, reading the "a ball of beasts' version of 4 and 5 is a must. It takes both of those books from flat out awful to at least reasonably doable facsimiles of the 3 superior books that pre-dated them.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:41 PM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet:
The actor who plays Davos did a fucking awesome job.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:46 PM 06-09-2016
Yup. But I liked Davos in the books as well so that didn't change him much.

If anybody's portrayal of a character changed my impression of the character, it was actually the guy that played Stannis (well, and HBO allowing Lena Headey to completely bastardize Cersei, but whatever....). Tywin was already a guy that I perceived as an awe-inspiring guy that was to be respected. Stannis, OTOH, I just kinda read as a crotchety old shit; similar to how Balon was played in the series.

I feel like Stannis has been portrayed more clearly and upon second reading, television brought clarity to a character that still makes sense when you read the books. Cersei, OTOH, they've flat out fucking made up. She's just a different character and that annoys the hell out of me.
[Reply]
Page 216 of 335
« First < 116166206212213214215216 217218219220226266316 > Last »
Up