ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 214 of 333
« First < 114164204210211212213214 215216217218224264314 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 12:02 AM 01-01-2023

2023 – A new beginning for the Royals. Matt Quatraro era begins. A year to see which of our young players will make up the core going forward. Can Bobby Witt Jr become a superstar SS or will go to the hot corner? Will Brady Singer take the next step forward? Will Salvy be Salvy? Will Big Vin or Pratto take first base? Will they find a position for MJ? Who else emerges from the youth movement? Not to mention the development of the new downtown stadium.

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Jordan Lyles, RHP
Ryan Yarbrough, LHP
Josh Taylor, LHP
Aroldis Chapman, LHP

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Gavin Cross, OF
2. Cayden Wallace, 3B
3. Drew Waters, OF
4. Ben Kudrna, RHP
5. Frank Mozzicato, LHP
6. Maikel Garcia, SS
7. Tyler Gentry, OF
8. Nick Loftin, OF/3B
9. Angel Zerpa, LHP
10. Carter Jensen, C
[Reply]
Mecca 01:01 PM 07-14-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Absolutely ****ing hate the god damn lottery. There are 162 games and after that if you finish with the worst record, then you are probably the worst team and deserve the best pick. Also, it's not like you can just suck for a franchise changing player that will come in and make you good the next year like you can do in football or basketball. These guys don't make it to the league for at least a year. The lottery in baseball is ****ing dumb.

We should have had the number 5 pick and should have gotten Walker Jenkins. Would have felt a hell of a lot better about this draft if we didn't have the God damn lottery. Who knows though this stupid ass franchise would probably have still taken Blake Mitchell.
Football is the only sport that hasn't gone to it, NBA, NHL and MLB all have.....I'm a Red Wings fan in hockey and they've gotten completely screwed by the lottery several times.

All it took was a couple of teams using the tanking on purpose strategy to end up as champions and the lottery happened. All these leagues think like 30-50% of the league tanking as a strategy is awful for business.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:31 PM 07-14-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Football is the only sport that hasn't gone to it, NBA, NHL and MLB all have.....I'm a Red Wings fan in hockey and they've gotten completely screwed by the lottery several times.

All it took was a couple of teams using the tanking on purpose strategy to end up as champions and the lottery happened. All these leagues think like 30-50% of the league tanking as a strategy is awful for business.
Tanking in baseball is just a terrible strategy and I don't think that teams are necessarily trying to tank just because there is no way to get a player that is going to turn a team around right after they are drafted. I think some of the owners are just cheap as fuck and they don't want to pay for talent, so they just suck because the owner is just trying to spend as little as they possibly can.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:38 PM 07-14-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Tanking in baseball is just a terrible strategy and I don't think that teams are necessarily trying to tank just because there is no way to get a player that is going to turn a team around right after they are drafted. I think some of the owners are just cheap as fuck and they don't want to pay for talent, so they just suck because the owner is just trying to spend as little as they possibly can.
The Astros tanked on purpose and honestly the Cubs did too.

The Astros building their juggernaut system out of tankimg on purpose is a huge reason this happened.
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:18 PM 07-14-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The Astros tanked on purpose and honestly the Cubs did too.

The Astros building their juggernaut system out of tankimg on purpose is a huge reason this happened.
I just checked this years roster and only 2 of the 35 players that have played for the Astros this season were first round picks by the Astros;

Bregma - 2nd overall
Tucker - 5th overall

Most of their best players this year are international guys and guys drafted after like the 5th round.

This was there roster last year and where/who they were drafted by. I'll include anyone that played over 100 ABs

Hitters

Martín Maldonado - 27th round Angels
Yuli Gurriel - International Astros
Jose Altuve - International Astros
Jeremy Peña - 3rd round Astros
Alex Bregman - 1st round Astros
Chas McCormick - 21st round Astros
Michael Brantley - Brewers 7th round
Kyle Tucker - 1st round Astros
Yordan Alvarez - International Astros
Aledmys Díaz - International Cardinals
Mauricio Dubón - 26th round Red Sox
Trey Mancini - 8th round Orioles
Jake Meyers - 13th round Astros
Jose Siri - International Astros
Christian Vázquez - 9th round Red Sox

Pitchers with over 10 or more appearances

Rafael Montero - International Mets
Hector Neris - International Phillies
Phil Maton - 20th round Padres
Ryne Stanek - 3rd round Mariners
Bryan Abreu - International Astros
Ryan Pressly - 11th round Red Sox
Framber Valdez - International Astros
Cristian Javier - International Astros
José Urquidy - International Astros
Seth Martinez - 17th round Athletics
Justin Verlander - 1st round Tigers in
Luis Garcia - International Astros
Will Smith - 40th round Rays
Blake Taylor - 2nd round Pirates
Jake Odorizzi - 1st round Brewers

Doesn't seem like tanking had much to do with why the Astros are good. Seems like they know how to assemble talent, develop talent, and get international guys that amount to something. Seems like another stupid thing for MLB to do if the Astros were the reason for the lottery being implemented.
[Reply]
MAG 07:20 PM 07-14-2023
Great call cancelling the game tonight. Pretty sure the rain was done by 7:30. Dumbass organization.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 08:58 AM 07-15-2023

1st-rder Blake Mitchell signs w/@Royals for $4.9 million (pick 8 value = $5,980,100). Texas HS C, best prep backstop in @MLBDraft by a wide margin, lefty bat w/tools to hit for power & average, agile defender, big-time arm up to 97 mph on mound. Louisiana State recruit. pic.twitter.com/OTZpZwfWce

— Jim Callis (@jimcallisMLB) July 15, 2023

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:07 AM 07-15-2023
So… I don’t know where the rest of that $1 million is going.

I’m not impressed with Ontiveros so far. He doesn’t seem to have a really good feel for the board and how it’s going to work.

I mean, shit, they could have taken Cameron Johnson at 44 and paid him mid-round money with these savings and the others they added.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:10 AM 07-15-2023
44 slot: 1.95 M
8 savings: 1M

And they probably have another 1/2 or so in savings with the rest of their top 10 round picks. So KC could have gotten to $4M or so on Johnson, which would have pulled him off his commitment.

He has all the things you’d like about the guy they drafted at 44, except he has shown the velocity longer and most consistently, performed in a much better baseball region, and has better secondaries, and is left handed.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:10 AM 07-15-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
So… I don’t know where the rest of that $1 million is going.

I’m not impressed with Ontiveros so far. He doesn’t seem to have a really good feel for the board and how it’s going to work.

I mean, shit, they could have taken Cameron Johnson at 44 and paid him mid-round money with these savings and the others they added.
44 slot: 1.95 M
8 savings: 1M

And they probably have another 1/2 or so in savings with the rest of their top 10 round picks. So KC could have gotten to $4M or so on Johnson, which would have pulled him off his commitment.

He has all the things you’d like about the guy they drafted at 44, except he has shown the velocity longer and most consistently, performed in a much better baseball region, and has better secondaries, and is left handed.
ARE YOU SAYING THE ROYALS HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING??!?!??!?!?!??!
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:14 AM 07-15-2023
This team is just dumb as shit
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 10:19 AM 07-15-2023
Johnson's camp must have told teams something because it wasn't just the Royals who passed on him many times.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:13 AM 07-15-2023
Staumont is having Thoracic Outlet surgery.

Would expect that basically ends his career. He can join Kevin Siegrist and a handful of others whose abuse at Matheny’s hands ruined their careers.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:30 AM 07-15-2023
Eesh it just gets worse.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:33 AM 07-15-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Johnson's camp must have told teams something because it wasn't just the Royals who passed on him many times.

I’ve seen a few suggest he would have signed for 15-18 pick slot value. Which is around $4-4.5M

KC could have gotten to it. Will be interesting to follow, as always.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:40 AM 07-15-2023
I’ve seen a few suggest he would have signed for 15-18 pick slot value. Which is around $4-4.5M

KC could have gotten to it. Will be interesting to follow, as always.
The Royals look like a team thar doesn't know what it's doing...
[Reply]
Page 214 of 333
« First < 114164204210211212213214 215216217218224264314 > Last »
Up