ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 214 of 469
« First < 114164204210211212213214 215216217218224264314 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
dlphg9 12:45 AM 07-12-2022
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
Duncan, who are we drafting, and why isn't it Kumar Rocker since he is way closer to mlb ready than the rest of this class?
This team should just avoid ruining another promising young pitcher. Get a surplus of bats and only bats. At least it seems like we can develop those now.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:45 AM 07-12-2022
Duncan, who are we drafting, and why isn't it Kumar Rocker since he is way closer to mlb ready than the rest of this class?
This team should just avoid ruining another promising young pitcher. Get a surplus of bats and only bats. At least it seems like we can develop those now.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:59 AM 07-12-2022

Oh, I’m steeling myself for a HS arm that’s an under slot add.

If it was me, I’d go college bat.

Brooks Lee (may be gone by 9)
Jacob Berry (may be gone by 9)
Gavin Cross

Or, my personal favorite, Jace Jung.
[Reply]
Eleazar 06:49 AM 07-12-2022
How long until the house cleaning? Surely they can't think the team is headed in the right direction with the manager and coaching staff as-is
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 07:58 AM 07-12-2022
So anyone hear anything on MAT getting ready to be traded? Noticed he started at DH first game and then didn't play in the second one.

Beni got the second game off too, but came in as a defensive replacement at the end so assuming something isn't imminent yet.

And I guess the Royals are not interested in dealing Barlow since they had him throw in both games of the double header yesterday . . . . . .
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:44 AM 07-12-2022
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
So anyone hear anything on MAT getting ready to be traded? Noticed he started at DH first game and then didn't play in the second one.

Beni got the second game off too, but came in as a defensive replacement at the end so assuming something isn't imminent yet.

And I guess the Royals are not interested in dealing Barlow since they had him throw in both games of the double header yesterday . . . . . .

Morosi was just on MLBN talking about the Yankees being interested in MAT. He thinks the Cards should be interested in Benintendi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:09 AM 07-12-2022
David Lesky:

Crown Jewels

Royals Made a Trade

I wasn’t planning on writing about anything but the games since there were two of them, but the Royals made a very interesting trade yesterday. They traded their 35th pick in the draft this upcoming week for Drew Waters, Andrew Hoffmann and C.J. Alexander of the Braves. With that 35th pick (which can be traded because it’s a competitive balance pick), the Braves also add the $2.2 million that comes with that pick to their pool and the Royals lose that. My initial thought on the trade is that it has the potential to be outstanding (though that doesn’t seem terribly likely). In my opinion, it’s a risk worth taking, but it is assuredly a risk.

The prize on the surface is Waters, who was the second round pick of the Braves in 2017 and was rated their number one prospect on MLB Pipeline. Opinions differ on him quite a bit, though. Baseball America, for example, was ready to drop him to 15th on their list. He’s not without his flaws. He struggles with pitch selection and plate discipline, so basically his entire approach, which is what has kept him from hitting at AAA in the past. I’ll get back to that in a second. He’s fast enough to handle center and the defense is solid. I think he could spend some time working with Rusty Kuntz to get even better, but defensively, it looks like the Royals have their center fielder of the future.

The issue with his bat is one that actually kind of intrigues me. It’s a weird feeling, but I believe so much in Drew Saylor along with the guys at the big league level - Alec Zumwalt, Mike Tosar and Keoni DeRenne - that this is the exact sort of risk the Royals should be taking on. I don’t know if they’ll be able to get Waters figured out, and the Braves certainly knew when it was time to trade a guy like Christian Pache, but as I said, it’s a risk worth taking with the success they’ve had in altering approach. And even if he never figures it out, I think he can be a quality fourth outfielder with enough power to provide value.

The pitching prospect, Hoffmann, is maybe more interesting than I expected at first. He was a 12th round pick last season, and has done nothing but impress ever since. He’s made 15 starts in high-A this year and the peripherals are all what you want. He’s allowed 63 hits in 80 innings with 90 strikeouts and 21 walks. He’s allowed nine home runs, which isn’t bad either. He has the frame and while I don’t trust the Royals to do with him what I feel like they can do with hitters, his ability to throw strikes is what I like. But it’s not like he’s without any stuff.

He throws his fastball at around 92-93, but I’ve seen reports of him at 95-96 and that he’s able to hold his velocity into games. He has an interesting delivery that offers just a bit of a delay in his windup and I think that gets hitters all flustered, but likely won’t as much at higher levels. He has an average slider and an average changeup, but he reminds me of the type of pitcher the Guardians love. He’s athletic, throws strikes and probably has a little more velocity in him. While I don’t have a ton of faith in what this organization can do for him, they have been better with some minor league development in terms of adding velocity, so maybe there’s something there. I wouldn’t expect an ace or anything, but he can be a three/four type if everything works out for him.

Alexander is pretty purely a throw-in on this deal. He’s a big guy who has played third, first and left and has some power, a little speed and a lot of swing and miss in his game. I’ll be surprised if we spend too much talking about him moving forward, but there’s a little thunder in his bat.

In all, I think this signals a couple of things for the Royals. With the acquisition of Waters, my guess is that it shows the Royals truly will trade Michael A. Taylor. I don’t think they’re trading for Waters without the idea that he’ll be in the big leagues and it’s not the worst idea to get him working with Zumwalt and company right away. I suppose a Benintendi deal could get him to the big leagues too and probably will, but I think they’ll want to see Waters at Kauffman Stadium. The other thing is that it basically assures that they won’t be playing games with slot value and will pay the full freight at pick nine.

No matter how the results play out, I do like the risk here. The 35th pick in the draft isn’t anything to sneeze at, but while past precedent doesn’t equal much in the way of future results, that pick hasn’t exactly been a place for stars. The best is interestingly enough Johnny Damon, but generally there isn’t a lot of big league talent there. The $2.2 million in slot money does hurt a bit, but I also wonder if they don’t make another trade to get back into that competitive balance round and get a few of those dollars back. Ultimately, this is one of those deals that may be forgotten in time, but it has a chance to be big for this team.

Taylor Injured?

On Saturday, the Royals were trailing by a bunch and turned the mound over to Taylor. We had some fun watching him throw and throw hard, but since that outing, he sat out on Sunday, served as the designated hitter in the first game and then sat again in the nightcap. I don’t know if he’s hurt or not, but it seems pretty odd to not play your best defensive center fielder in the field at any point over a three-game stretch. So I have to assume he’s gotten himself hurt from pitching. Maybe it was totally different, but as I said on Twitter yesterday, if he did get hurt pitching in a year where he has more trade value than he ever has and likely ever will, that would vault this to be the absolute most Royals thing ever.

[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:31 AM 07-12-2022
TWitM: Brewer Hicklen is the man
This Week in the Minors: Omaha hitters smash everything; Marcelo Martinez took a perfecto deep; Tyler Tolbert among league leaders in steals

Brewer Hicklen did some of everything. You may have seen his highlight-reel catch, his walkoff hit on Wednesday, or his 493-foot home run on Sunday. All told, Hicklen piled up 11 hits, including a triple and three homers. He also stole two bases, and still has not been caught.

Another Chaser with 11 hits on the week was Nate Eaton, who bookended the series with a pair of two-homer games. Through 39 games at Triple-A, Eaton has maintained a slash line of .329/.388/.591.

Michael Massey got the day off on Sunday, but in the remaining six games of the series, he went 10-for-23 with two doubles and a homer. Shortstop Iván Castillo also put up 10 hits, including five (!) doubles and a homer.

Party P spent the week showing off power and patience. Among Nick Pratto’s nine hits were four (!) dongs, and he also drew eight walks.

Pratto was named to MLB Pipeline’s prospect team of the week, in addition to being selected to play in the Futures Game.

Catcher Freddy Fermin muscled up for two doubles and two homers in his five games.

Center fielder Dairon Blanco hit in all seven games, which puts him at a 10-game hit streak as the team heads to Rochester for their last series before the All-Star break.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:59 AM 07-12-2022
Is this a little bit concerning? While guys like Witt Jr make flashy plays, he is not graded so far as a good defender this year. Ive also been disappointing with Melendez ability to block balls behind plate.

Witt Jr -0.3 dwar
Melendez -0.4 dwar
Olivares -0.4 dwar (in little abs!)
Rivers +0.4 dwar :-)
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 11:18 AM 07-12-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Is this a little bit concerning? While guys like Witt Jr make flashy plays, he is not graded so far as a good defender this year. Ive also been disappointing with Melendez ability to block balls behind plate.

Witt Jr -0.3 dwar
Melendez -0.4 dwar
Something about the Royals is a little bit concerning? You don't say?
[Reply]
Mecca 11:18 AM 07-12-2022
Oliveras is at best an ok defender. Melendez is young and needs work, he's always been a bat first catcher.

Witt I wouldn't be concerned about at all.
[Reply]
poolboy 11:58 AM 07-12-2022
maybe Royals can go overslot on the ninth pick since they traded the comp pick?
[Reply]
Wilson8 01:28 PM 07-12-2022
Originally Posted by poolboy:
maybe Royals can go overslot on the ninth pick since they traded the comp pick?
Maybe a little, but part of the trade like that is the pool money.

Originally Posted by :
The No. 35 pick that Atlanta is receiving comes with a slot value of $2,202,100, all of which will be added to the Braves’ league-allotted bonus pool of $8,022,200. That’ll bump the Braves from the 19th-largest draft pool to the 10th-largest (barring any additional trades).
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...raft-pick.html
[Reply]
Nightfyre 01:35 PM 07-12-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:

Witt Jr -0.3 dwar
Melendez -0.4 dwar
Maybe, maybe not. Defensive stats are super fickle because the exceptions are small and therefore the sample size needed to analyze is large.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:45 PM 07-12-2022
No MAT again tonight.

[Reply]
Page 214 of 469
« First < 114164204210211212213214 215216217218224264314 > Last »
Up