ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 213 of 333
« First < 113163203209210211212213 214215216217223263313 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 12:02 AM 01-01-2023

2023 – A new beginning for the Royals. Matt Quatraro era begins. A year to see which of our young players will make up the core going forward. Can Bobby Witt Jr become a superstar SS or will go to the hot corner? Will Brady Singer take the next step forward? Will Salvy be Salvy? Will Big Vin or Pratto take first base? Will they find a position for MJ? Who else emerges from the youth movement? Not to mention the development of the new downtown stadium.

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Jordan Lyles, RHP
Ryan Yarbrough, LHP
Josh Taylor, LHP
Aroldis Chapman, LHP

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Gavin Cross, OF
2. Cayden Wallace, 3B
3. Drew Waters, OF
4. Ben Kudrna, RHP
5. Frank Mozzicato, LHP
6. Maikel Garcia, SS
7. Tyler Gentry, OF
8. Nick Loftin, OF/3B
9. Angel Zerpa, LHP
10. Carter Jensen, C
[Reply]
Warpaint69 12:42 PM 07-13-2023
Originally Posted by myselff77:
With the current state of the organization, there is no way the Royals will be competitive in the 4 years remaining of Witt's team control. If trading him brings in a haul that will shorten the timeline towards competitiveness, go for it. If that type of return is not there, then I agree, let it play out.
I totally agree, to right the ship it may take a probably unpopular move. With that said, I don't trust JJ with that sort of shrewd move.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:46 PM 07-13-2023
Originally Posted by myselff77:
With the current state of the organization, there is no way the Royals will be competitive in the 4 years remaining of Witt's team control. If trading him brings in a haul that will shorten the timeline towards competitiveness, go for it. If that type of return is not there, then I agree, let it play out.
That would be an incredibly weird deal these days.

The Royals would want an absolute haul, and it would be incredibly risky for someone to grant their requests/demands.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 12:48 PM 07-13-2023
The trade to be made would be Pasquantino.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:01 PM 07-13-2023
You can't argue to me that Witt is just as good when they have all been playing in the MLB for 18 months and we have

Rutschman at 7.5 WAR
Rodriguez at 7.9 WAR
Witt at 4.8 WAR

That is significant.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 01:14 PM 07-13-2023
I feel like this trade Bobby crew should go look at the 2011-2012 Royals discussion. I feel like the "give up, burn it all down" discussion is deja vu. While I question whether or not this youth movement will result in playoffs, I also recognize that it is super early, sophomore slumps are common, and if the key pieces bounce back, we are a few pitchers away. If you squint, you can see it.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:18 PM 07-13-2023
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
I feel like this trade Bobby crew should go look at the 2011-2012 Royals discussion. I feel like the "give up, burn it all down" discussion is deja vu. While I question whether or not this youth movement will result in playoffs, I also recognize that it is super early, sophomore slumps are common, and if the key pieces bounce back, we are a few pitchers away. If you squint, you can see it.
The problem is the Royals have no minor league reinforcements. Anyone who may be something is a long ways away.

The only dudes I can say maybe they should bring up to see them at the MLB level are

Will Klein-Reliever
Angel Zerpa and John Bowlan who are both starters so already that's like ehh
Nick Loftin

They are failing exceptionally hard with 90% of the guys who they were supposed to be able to win with already up.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:39 PM 07-13-2023
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Witt has gotten better both offensively (a very little) and defensively (a little more). But he sure does not look to be a generational talent. Rutschmann and Julio Rodriguez would be preferred, and it's not even close. I don't even know how you could debate otherwise with a straight face.
Once again a stupid as shit comment from you. Bobby Witt Jr went from being maybe the worst SS when it comes to defense last year - Fangraphs had his Def ranked at -4.2 and there were only 2 others with negative DEF and the closest was -1.4, so he was incredibly bad- to being the 6th ranked SS by DEF at 7.6.

He's 5th in WAR among SS. The main thing Rutschmann and Julio had on Witt last year was defensive value. That advantage is gone and Julio has dropped off big time with the bat.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:45 PM 07-13-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
You can't argue to me that Witt is just as good when they have all been playing in the MLB for 18 months and we have

Rutschman at 7.5 WAR
Rodriguez at 7.9 WAR
Witt at 4.8 WAR

That is significant.
Ok now do this year. Witt Jr had atrocious D last year and that tanked his WAR.

Fangraphs has WAR for this year at

Witt Jr. - 2.4 WAR
JRod - 2.5 WAR
Rutschmann - 2.2 WAR

You can definitely argue Witt is just as good when you're not trying to be pessimistic about every single aspect of the team. Yeah they suck shit and things don't look good, but Witt Jr is one of the only bright spots on the team.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:50 PM 07-13-2023
I don't think he's terrible...also by not pointing out that Rutschman is a catcher immediately devalues him, that WAR from a catcher is a big deal.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:37 PM 07-13-2023
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
Lol a few pitchers? These guys can hardly find one pitcher, much less a few.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:28 PM 07-13-2023

Let's try this one more time...here is drafted WAR since 2015 for each organization. Apologize for the earlier tweet that was incorrect, there was a bug in my code. Astros in the clear lead driven by Bregman, Tucker, Pena, Straw. Rockies at the bottom with just Rodgers, Lawrence pic.twitter.com/dROVlbakMd

— Down on the Farm (@downonthefarm12) July 13, 2023

[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:31 PM 07-13-2023

The last 10 years of drafts - % of each MLB team's picks that made it to the majors (for any team) pic.twitter.com/skAf1T6vWN

— Jay Cuda (@JayCuda) July 12, 2023

[Reply]
Mecca 12:30 PM 07-14-2023
Baseball America with a new top 100 with the 23 draftees...the Royals still at 0.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:36 PM 07-14-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Baseball America with a new top 100 with the 23 draftees...the Royals still at 0.
Yeah, Baseball Prospectus dropped a new midseason top 50, and each of the top 5 picks was in it, and in the top 20.

It was a really strong draft at the top, really bad year to get the worst possible result from the lottery.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:51 PM 07-14-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Yeah, Baseball Prospectus dropped a new midseason top 50, and each of the top 5 picks was in it, with 4/5 being in the top 20.

It was a really strong draft at the top, really bad year to get the worst possible result from the lottery.
Absolutely ****ing hate the god damn lottery. There are 162 games and after that if you finish with the worst record, then you are probably the worst team and deserve the best pick. Also, it's not like you can just suck for a franchise changing player that will come in and make you good the next year like you can do in football or basketball. These guys don't make it to the league for at least a year. The lottery in baseball is ****ing dumb.

We should have had the number 5 pick and should have gotten Walker Jenkins. Would have felt a hell of a lot better about this draft if we didn't have the God damn lottery. Who knows though this stupid ass franchise would probably have still taken Blake Mitchell.
[Reply]
Page 213 of 333
« First < 113163203209210211212213 214215216217223263313 > Last »
Up