ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 210 of 333
« First < 110160200206207208209210 211212213214220260310 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 12:02 AM 01-01-2023

2023 – A new beginning for the Royals. Matt Quatraro era begins. A year to see which of our young players will make up the core going forward. Can Bobby Witt Jr become a superstar SS or will go to the hot corner? Will Brady Singer take the next step forward? Will Salvy be Salvy? Will Big Vin or Pratto take first base? Will they find a position for MJ? Who else emerges from the youth movement? Not to mention the development of the new downtown stadium.

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Jordan Lyles, RHP
Ryan Yarbrough, LHP
Josh Taylor, LHP
Aroldis Chapman, LHP

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Gavin Cross, OF
2. Cayden Wallace, 3B
3. Drew Waters, OF
4. Ben Kudrna, RHP
5. Frank Mozzicato, LHP
6. Maikel Garcia, SS
7. Tyler Gentry, OF
8. Nick Loftin, OF/3B
9. Angel Zerpa, LHP
10. Carter Jensen, C
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:19 PM 07-11-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Even Baird would run into the occasional Greinke or Gordo, two players GMDM never could come close to matching WAR wise through the draft.

This looks like GMDM's frugality at the top with no plan whatsoever for how to take advantage of that in the later rounds.

Greinke is a sure-fire Hall of Famer, so I’m not sure many GMs would live up to that pick.

But the biggest issue Moore had was adjusting once the slot system went into place. They never quite figured out how to work that, though they worked the 2013 draft pretty well.

In the Baird days, he basically could make one legit pick, but not for a bank-busting first rounder, and then had to draft a bunch of guys who wouldn’t take much to sign. They didn’t empty the clip.

This draft felt like they didn’t empty the clip.

Maybe they just missed the guy they were saving money for. Maybe it’s the big righthander from Illinois. But have some contingencies in place.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 07:54 PM 07-11-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
In the Baird days, he basically could make one legit pick, but not for a bank-busting first rounder, and then had to draft a bunch of guys who wouldn’t take much to sign. They didn’t empty the clip.

This draft felt like they didn’t empty the clip.
You found the words I was looking for.

Baird had that one pick at the top of the draft (Billy Butler was another), and for whatever reason, had a not terrible ratio with that one card he got to play (I feel like GMDM would outthink himself at times in Round 1).

This draft just even feels void of that one legit Baird pick.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:07 PM 07-11-2023
Salvy getting the AL the lead, scoring a run.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 08:09 PM 07-11-2023

Salvy also has the second-most All-Star Game runs by a Royals player

5 ⚾ George Brett
3 ⚾ Salvador Pérez
1 ⚾ Hosmer, Dye, Bo, White, Rojas

— Royals Stats (@RoyalsStats) July 12, 2023

[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:12 PM 07-11-2023
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
#13 retired and a Salvy statue is going to look good in downtown KC.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:14 PM 07-11-2023
Shitty Blue Jay giving up a home run.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:15 PM 07-11-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
#13 retired and a Salvy statue is going to look good in downtown KC.
He's always just stayed so likeable, even with the shit team he's on now.

He's currently my favorite Royal ever but I would be fine with them moving him on to finish his career. There's no point in keeping him in KC now.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:16 PM 07-11-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
You found the words I was looking for.

Baird had that one pick at the top of the draft (Billy Butler was another), and for whatever reason, had a not terrible ratio with that one card he got to play (I feel like GMDM would outthink himself at times in Round 1).

This draft just even feels void of that one legit Baird pick.
Yeah. I keep looking at Chase Dollander, Chase Davis, and Matt Shaw.

Dollander is a guy who reminds me a lot of another player recruited and coached by Dollander's college skipper... Max Scherzer. In that he is a guy who was viewed as a potential 1-1 pick entering his junior year, then had a weird/bad command year. The size and assortment of stuff is even similar to Max. I don't think he's that good (Scherzer has a legitimate Hall of Fame case), but Dollander has a lot of upside and would have been a good floor/ceiling mesh at 1-8 (Scherzer went 1-9 to Arizona, as I recall).

Davis and Shaw are similar guys... college bats that I think are really underrated. They are the type of high contact, low K, all-fields power hitters that I would love to see KC invest in more heavily from the college ranks.

I also just really like Hurston Waldrep, because he already has a great three-pitch mix, and I think he's going to be a good major league hurler for a long time. Atlanta will probably maximize that.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:53 PM 07-11-2023
I had to go down to the Twitter rabbit hole, man lots of Salvy hate on being an all-star.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:41 PM 07-11-2023
I had to go down to the Twitter rabbit hole, man lots of Salvy hate on being an all-star.
The only thing anyone can ding that man on is framing a pitch. Which has to be the absolute most over valued statistic I've ever seen. Some people act like if a catcher can't frame a pitch, then he's trash. When in reality it has minimal effect on a game.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 09:50 PM 07-11-2023
You know if Salvy was better at English, he would be instant TV studio guy for FOX or ESPN the moment he retires.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:01 PM 07-11-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
The only thing anyone can ding that man on is framing a pitch. Which has to be the absolute most over valued statistic I've ever seen. Some people act like if a catcher can't frame a pitch, then he's trash. When in reality it has minimal effect on a game.
When his career is up for the Hall of Fame, framing isn't going to be as much of a factor as his OBP. That's where the voters are going to kill him like they did with Andre Dawson for so many years.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 10:13 PM 07-11-2023
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
When his career is up for the Hall of Fame, framing isn't going to be as much of a factor as his OBP. That's where the voters are going to kill him like they did with Andre Dawson for so many years.
Baseball Hall of Fame voters are the biggest cucks in the world. The stupidity they go off on.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:26 PM 07-11-2023
Baseball Hall of Fame voters are the biggest outstanding citizens in the world. The stupidity they go off on.
Agreed. The absolute worst type of sports journalist.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:40 PM 07-11-2023
Baseball Hall of Fame voters are the biggest cucks in the world. The stupidity they go off on.

It’s not all of them by any means.

I know/have known a bunch. Rick Hummel was possibly the best person I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. And then there are guys that absolutely suck.

The guy that took over for me when I left the sports journalism world is a member of BBWA and has a vote. He does a good job with it.
[Reply]
Page 210 of 333
« First < 110160200206207208209210 211212213214220260310 > Last »
Up