ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 200 of 313
« First < 100150190196197198199200 201202203204210250300 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** 2021 Chiefs Training Camp MEGATHREAD ***
wazu 11:33 AM 07-24-2021
Posting this as a repository for random training camp content. Glad to see Andy moving around today without the cane.

Andy Reid rocking the all white Air Force 1s with white tube socks.#Chiefs #ChiefsKingdom pic.twitter.com/opdxFDbTsh

— Micaela Dea (@NPNowDea) July 24, 2021

[Reply]
bsp4444 04:42 AM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Then BAL FO is populated by morons. Because Waller is a top 3 TE now.
Yeah, Baltimore is really hurting at TE. :-)
[Reply]
oldman 05:21 AM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
I’d rather keep 4 TEs and drop Burton. Bell could probably play his role. Gray can play H-Back too.
I'm all for this. In fact, I'd kind of like Andy to install a couple plays out of the old T formation. Two TEs and Kelce and Fortson or Gray in the backfield. Maybe a little Martyball to demonstrate we'll score any time and any way we want to. As much as I liked Sherman, his contribution last year was mostly ST (2 targets, 3 rushes), so use Fortson or Gray in his place. Surely one of them can wear a mohawk with style.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:22 AM 08-13-2021
Waller had gotten his shit together off the field and was on the PS when gruden nabbed him. then it took half a season and a full offseason to come together on the field. It's not like BAL just completely wiffed. If anything they deserve a lot of credit for getting him help and keeping him in house.

https://www.nfl.com/news/darren-wall...r-and-his-life
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:28 AM 08-13-2021
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nf...253418519.html

Originally Posted by :
Don’t blink Saturday night if you’re hoping to see quarterback Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs’ other first-teamers play the San Francisco 49ers at Levi’s Stadium.

Those starters, Mahomes and Co., won’t play beyond the first period.

“As far as this game goes,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said after Thursday’s practice, “we’ll give the ones (first-string players) a quarter, twos a quarter — the second quarter — threes third quarter, fours the fourth quarter.”

Reid’s declaration isn’t a big surprise, as the preseason is an important tool for coaches’ evaluations as they hustle to set their final rosters.

The Chiefs already know what the likes of Mahomes, tight end Travis Kelce, wide receiver Tyreek Hill, defensive lineman Chris Jones and safety Tyrann Mathieu can do. It also wouldn’t be surprising to see rookie offensive linemen Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith pulled early: They’ve been working exclusively with the first-team offense.

Instead, Saturday night will be about the backups, especially young players hoping to make a strong and enduring impression.

Mathieu has a message for the group of defensive players projected to play a lot of snaps.

“Just play as hard as you can,” he said. “There’s no pressure at all. Like I tell them all, it’s the same game they’ve been playing since most of them were 5 years old. Go out there, have fun, understand your responsibilities, but just let it loose. Let the world know who you are.”

Here are five players to watch after the starters take to the sidelines for good.

DEVON KEY, SAFETY

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Key emerged early in training camp, earning a rotational role with the first-team defense alongside veterans Mathieu, Juan Thornhill and Daniel Sorensen.

And the undrafted rookie, who has also seen time with the second-team defense, hasn’t let up as he makes a case to crack the Chiefs’ initial 53-player roster.

“We’ve actually added on to him because we think he’s got that part of football, which is chin to the hairline,” Chiefs defensive coordinator Spagnuolo said. “What we don’t know is in the heat of the battle, so we’re going to find out a little bit of that in the game. But so far, he’s functioned pretty well, and we’re happy with that.”

Depending on how long the starters play, Key should have opportunities to prove to Spagnuolo and the Chiefs coaching staff exactly how much he can handle in live action with extended snaps.

In addition to the coaches, one of Key’s All-Pro teammates can’t wait to see him experience some playing time.

“He’s a smart kid,” Mathieu said. “He has some instincts and a good feel for the playbook. I’m pretty sure I’m more excited just to see him go out there kind of control the secondary and really just play fast.”

JODY FORTSON, TIGHT END

A new position combined with 20 pounds of added muscle has worked out well so far for Fortson, who made a position switch from wide receiver this offseason.

He’s shown in the Chiefs’ previous two summer camps that he is capable of making plays. But he has thus far fallen short of making the regular-season roster.

Fortson’s confidence, however, hasn’t wavered. He hopes his third try is a charm.

“I feel like I’ve belonged here since day one,” Fortson recently told The Star. “I feel like I should’ve been playing, but that’s not the hand that was dealt. Now it’s time to work and go out here and prove myself, like I’ve been doing every day that I’ve been out here. Put it all on tape, put it all in the games.”

Time to see what happens Saturday.

DARIUS SHEPHERD, WIDE RECEIVER

The Blue Springs High School product turned a successful tryout at the Chiefs’ mandatory minicamp into an opportunity to show he belongs in the NFL.

Shepherd comes with experience, too, after two seasons spent with the Green Bay Packers. But he has his work cut out for him.

His best shot to make the Chiefs’ roster will come on special teams, where he’s competing for a return role alongside Mecole Hardman and Byron Pringle.

Shepherd has made an impression on the KC coaching staff.

“The thing that I love about him, wherever you put him, he finds a way to make the play the right way,” offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy said. “He runs very good routes, he has a little quick twitch in him, and the kid has great hands. He’s been fun to watch and he’s been fun to work with.”

DAURICE FOUNTAIN, WIDE RECEIVER

Fountain joined the Chiefs following a successful tryout during rookie minicamp, and he’s quietly impressed the casual eye ever since.

At 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, Fountain is on the bigger end of the spectrum for wide receivers. And he has his work cut out for him: The Chiefs’ top four wideouts project to be Tyreek Hill, Mecole Hardman, Demarcus Robinson and Byron Pringle.

Figuring out the fifth (and potentially sixth) WR spots is tricky, depending on how many receivers the Chiefs elect to keep on their initial 53-player roster.

Marcus Kemp is a virtual certainty to stick, given his value on special teams, so Fountain’s competition looks to be against Gehrig Dieter, Antonio Callaway and rookie Cornell Powell, among others.

A good showing in the Chiefs’ first preseason game would only help Fountain, who entered the league in 2018 as a fifth-round pick with the Indianapolis Colts.

BOPETE KEYES, CORNERBACK

Keyes dislocated a finger during Thursday morning’s practice, and it remains to be seen whether that will keep the second-year pro out of the lineup Saturday night.

He could certainly benefit from the repetitions.

Keyes, whom the Chiefs acquired after trading back into the seventh round of the 2020 NFL Draft, had a good week of practice, securing an interception on consecutive days.

But the competition at cornerback behind starters Charvarius Ward and L’Jarius Sneed is tough. Mike Hughes has been working mostly with the first-team defense in the nickel package, with Sneed moving inside. And the Chiefs have also been getting a good look at Rashad Fenton and Deandre Baker.

If the Chiefs keep six corners, the sixth must also be a good fit on special teams.

“If he can step it up as a corner on defense, as well as being a good gunner for us, he has a really good shot at being a player for us,” Toub said of Keyes. “So it’s going to come down to the preseason games.”

Keyes, who has worked mostly with the second and third units during training camp, is competing with Pringle and Marcus Kemp for that role of gunner.

[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:42 AM 08-13-2021
You realize that the Chiefs probably won't get more than two drives in the first quarter, which translates to about 10-15 plays, right? They'll hardly break a sweat.
Originally Posted by eDave:
Guys act like he's a china doll or something. He needs game time with this new line.
Seriously.

I'd kind of like to see Mahomes get three decent drives in this game. But I doubt that'll happen.
It's practice. We didnt have any pre-season games last year and there wasn't a huge jump in injuries, We ended up having the best record ever. Let the low level talent play for spots on the roster.

The bare minimum plays and risk should be applied to our core players.
[Reply]
blake5676 07:57 AM 08-13-2021
When I was so kindly blessed by Twisted Chief with the opportunity to go to the private dinner/drinks night with the players and the Clarks, Mahomes raved about a guy on the PS that is good enough to be a starter on half the other teams in the NFL. He was talking about Fortson. I've been disappointed he hasn't made an impact/gotten his chance yet, but it sounds like this is his best shot yet. Gotta love the measurements on the kid and the feedback thus far.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:11 AM 08-13-2021
1. Will rookies Creed Humphrey, Trey Smith and Lucas Niang all be starting Week 1? — John K.

Well, those rookie offensive linemen are going to start Saturday’s game, which is a really positive sign this early in the preseason; they’re still a month away from their season opener against the Cleveland Browns.

Humphrey, whom the Chiefs selected in the second round of the NFL Draft, has taken all of his repetitions with superstar quarterback Patrick Mahomes and the first-team offense. Smith, a sixth-round pick, has been mauling his teammates throughout camp and is emerging as a possible late-round steal. My understanding is that Humphrey and Smith are the clear starters at center and right guard, respectively, and both the coaching staff and the player personnel staff are expecting them to perform well in the preseason.

The right tackle position, I believe, is still a competition. Niang, who opted out of last season, has shown improvement in camp. If the Chiefs are looking for steady play and experience, then Mike Remmers, a nine-year veteran, could be the starter when the season begins. But if Niang is impressive in the preseason, then the Chiefs might feel comfortable with him starting in his NFL debut.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 08:11 AM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by blake5676:
When I was so kindly blessed with the opportunity to go to the private dinner/drinks by Twisted Chief, Mahomes raved about a guy on the PS that is good enough to be a starter on half the other teams in the NFL. He was talking about Fortson. I've been disappointed he hasn't made an impact/gotten his chance yet, but it sounds like this is his best shot yet. Gotta love the measurements on the kid and the feedback thus far.
I've really wondered what the deal was with him. Everytime we've seen him in the preseason he's balled out. I know it's only preseason but if Mahomes is saying stuff like that it must be real. I saw him live when the Chiefs came to Green Bay in the preseason a few years ago and he looked like a man amongst boys at that point already. Granted he was playing with the backups, but still. He stood out big time.

Now we've got Gray and Bell ahead of him so how does he get a chance? He seems a little bitter and I don't really blame him when Andy is keeping guys on the roster like Nick Keizer over him. It must be infuriating. Putting on 20 pounds of muscle takes some series work ethic. I'd love to see him get a shot to make an impact.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:12 AM 08-13-2021
2. Who is the player you’re most interested in seeing in real game situations? Who do you think will surprise the most? — Donald R.

Great question, Donald. Several players come to mind, honestly. My top two are tackles Niang and Orlando Brown Jr. Although they’re expected to play just a quarter, Niang and Brown should get a few snaps to display their pass-blocking skills while Mahomes attempts a few passes. This is the first time Niang and Brown will be blocking for Mahomes, so their performances will be instructive, in part, on how quickly the Chiefs’ offensive line has jelled since camp began.

Meanwhile, Chris Jones, the Chiefs’ top defensive player, has been dominant in camp, and I’m fascinated to see if he’ll play Saturday’s game as just a defensive end — his new position — or move between the edge and the interior of the Chiefs’ defensive line.

My two candidates for who will produce the biggest surprise Saturday are veteran running back Jerick McKinnon and rookie tight end Noah Gray. Both players just fit the Chiefs’ offense so well.
[Reply]
3. What’s your feeling on the linebacker rotation? Has rookie Nick Bolton adjusted well? — Paul W.

Some fans may be surprised by this, but Ben Niemann, the four-year veteran, has performed well in camp. Niemann has deflected passes and shown improved strength from last season. In the one-on-one drill between tight ends and running backs against linebackers and safeties Thursday, Niemann overwhelmed running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire in two repetitions.

I believe the Chiefs have four linebackers you can trust in Anthony Hitchens, Willie Gay, Bolton and Niemann.

Before Gay entered the league’s concussion protocol, he was having the best camp among the defensive players. In the past 10 days, Bolton has flashed several times, showing his athleticism, coverage skills and power when tackling. At some point this season, perhaps in late October, I think the Chiefs will want Hitchens, Gay and Bolton to play the majority of the snaps.

All of this leads to our next question …
[Reply]
4. What position group is most vulnerable to injury attrition? — Kevin M.

With just four trusted linebackers, the Chiefs can’t really afford to have two of those players miss significant time this season. I’ve said this before, but one of the most underrated parts of the Chiefs winning Super Bowl LIV is that their four main linebackers that season — Hitchens, Niemann, Reggie Ragland and Damien Wilson — all remained healthy and effective. These Chiefs will likely need a similar result to become champions again.

On offense, the Chiefs could have injury attrition and still put up close to 30 points on the scoreboard each week. And on defense, coordinator Steve Spagnuolo has a plethora of linemen and defensive backs.

In the preseason, the Chiefs will hope that linebackers Dorian O’Daniel and Darius Harris each have strong highlights to demonstrate their improvement in Spagnuolo’s system.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:13 AM 08-13-2021
5. With the revamped offensive line, will Reid implement a more run-oriented offense? — Sean D.

You’re on the right track, Sean. Reid, especially with Mahomes, will always be a pass-first coach, which is the right philosophy to have in this pass-happy era of the NFL. The mission for Reid and offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy is to get the Chiefs’ offense to be more balanced at times during games or in certain areas of the field.

In a 17-game season, the Chiefs should try to give Edwards-Helaire enough opportunities for him to record at least 1,000 rushing yards. A bigger offensive line from a year ago should benefit Edwards-Helaire in the red zone and on short-yardage plays. More balance on the play calls from Reid and Bieniemy will help protect Mahomes and allow the Chiefs to perhaps be even more unpredictable.

Imagine if the Chiefs don’t have to get creative on third-and-1 and can convert with ease by having their offensive line bully the opposing defensive line.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:13 AM 08-13-2021
6. With the Chiefs moving Greg Lewis from receivers assistant to running back assistant, I think they plan to get Edwards-Helaire involved more in the passing game. What ways have you seen that in camp? — Joel S.

Yes, yes, yes to your first statement, Joel. As for camp, the Chiefs have had Edwards-Helaire run more routes in the middle of the field the past few practices.

Edwards-Helaire is such a good receiver that it’s wise for the Chiefs to find more ways to pass him the ball this season. One of the best examples occurred Tuesday in a team period inside the red zone as Mahomes threw a touchdown pass to Edwards-Helaire on the perimeter.

“If you look back at last season and see how he was coming on strong right before he got that (hip and ankle) injury, I think you’re seeing that he’s gotten comfortable within the offense,” Mahomes said of Edwards-Helaire after Thursday’s practice. “He understands how to get himself open. Right before he got injured, he was really coming into his own. I think you’ll see that from the beginning this year.”

Expect Edwards-Helaire to run more sophisticated routes this season.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:14 AM 08-13-2021
7. Is Mike Hughes the definite third cornerback or could Deandre Baker still be in the mix for that spot? — Jay S.

Honestly, Jay, I don’t have a feel for who has earned the third cornerback spot yet. That’s because I don’t think Spagnuolo knows the answer to that question. In camp, Spagnuolo has rotated several cornerbacks — Hughes, Baker, Rashad Fenton and BoPete Keyes — into that third spot when L’Jarius Sneed is the nickel and Charvarius Ward is on the opposite side of the field.

The only thing you can assume so far is that the cornerback who performs the best in the preseason will earn that third spot.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:14 AM 08-13-2021
8. Besides Devon Key, who’s your other dark horse candidate to crack the 53-man roster? — Blake M.

Most folks who read my coverage of the Chiefs or listen to The Athletic’s “Time’s Ours” podcast should know this answer. It’s Jody Fortson. It’s always going to be Jody Fortson. In his third season with the Chiefs, Fortson has never looked better, as he knows the playbook and has performed well as an athletic tight end.

In a team period Thursday, Fortson leaped, twisted his body and made a juggling catch on a pass from backup quarterback Chad Henne that wasn’t even intended for him.

“He’s a freak athlete,” Henne said Tuesday of Fortson. “He can play it all. If he can get in the blocking scheme, which he’s shown in this training camp that he can do, he’s going to be a mismatch for a lot of linebackers and safeties. We’re just excited to see him in the preseason. If he can transition from practice to the game, he’s going to have a heck of a year for us.”
[Reply]
Page 200 of 313
« First < 100150190196197198199200 201202203204210250300 > Last »
Up