ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 40
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>I can't believe this team passed on Derek Carr
RunKC 10:13 AM 12-08-2014
It's Raiders week and I really don't care about them that much. I hate their fans. I hate their stadium. I hate everything about them. But I'm jealous. I'm jealous of the Raiders for the second time in my entire life. The first was with Rich Gannon, who we threw away. We know the story and what they went on to do.

But this week I'm jealous of them for the second time in my life.
I can't believe that John Dorsey passed on a QB that reminds me a lot of what makes Aaron Rodgers good. Great arm. Great leadership. Great feet. Just needs coaching.

I'm looking back at the Senior Bowl last year and am seeing the following statements about this young man:

"Derek carr's velocity, especially in the gusty wind, was once again impressive. When it comes to arm strength, he really has no competition."

"Carr looked very athletic in an escape drill showcasing his impression footwork."

I saw tweets like this that made me appreciate him

@nfldraftscout: Derek Carr won me over at the Senior Bowl...where he stayed after practice every day to get extra reps with new WRs.

@ryanlownes: @JimmyKempski Ran routes for Derek Carr after practice every day at the Senior Bowl. No shortage of work ethic or competitiveness.

And then I remember us this tweet on the day of the draft:

@KanCityChiefFan: Mort: Kansas City Chiefs are a sleeper QB team in 2014 NFL Draft - Arrowhead Pride (blog) http://t.co/Pn0XVl203s

I thought this regime would be different. I really did. I didn't mind Alex as a stop gap while we developed a guy like GB did with Rodgers, but it's always the same with this franchise.

Now we have to watch the team we all hate with a good looking QB of the future that we should have drafted.
Such is life as a Chiefs fan..
[Reply]
Red Dawg 09:01 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
I am wondering if its really the franchise that is the issue or is it the fanbase?

I am leaning towards the fanbase more than the Chiefs as a whole... Theres no reason we have endure each year that QB's are too risky and fans "not sold on him" bullshit cliches...
Nope.
[Reply]
milkman 09:04 AM 10-12-2016
I am wondering if its really the franchise that is the issue or is it the fanbase?

I am leaning towards the fanbase more than the Chiefs as a whole... Theres no reason we have endure each year that QB's are too risky and fans "not sold on him" bullshit cliches...
I'd like to think that it's management, but as the years go by, and the regimes change, it is looking more and more that the fault lies with ownership.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 09:11 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by milkman:
I'd like to think that it's management, but as the years go by, and the regimes change, it is looking more and more that the fault lies with ownership.

True, but the owner wants to put butts in the seats and make money.. Best way to do that is to cater to the fans that have the biggest voice and the ones that fill the stadium/parking lot.

Those fans want nothing more than a defense, run the ball and a little playoff noise hope.

This franchise fanbase is stuck in the Marty mindset... I have family that will tell you that Denver isnt a really football organization and their fans dont understand football.... Yet they have results and we have hope for results.
[Reply]
milkman 09:16 AM 10-12-2016
True, but the owner wants to put butts in the seats and make money.. Best way to do that is to cater to the fans that have the biggest voice and the ones that fill the stadium/parking lot.

Those fans want nothing more than a defense, run the ball and a little playoff noise hope.

This franchise fanbase is stuck in the Marty mindset... I have family that will tell you that Denver isnt a really football organization and their fans dont understand football.... Yet they have results and we have hope for results.
You think that Robert Kraft let the fans' opinions sway him when he hired the Hoodie?
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 09:21 AM 10-12-2016
I'm in that camp. They are risk adverse and would rather constantly hover in the middle and make money. That's their prerogative, but the franchise is make money first, win 2nd.
They understand that they have to spend money to make money, but that money is targeted at keeping them marketable.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 09:28 AM 10-12-2016
You think that Robert Kraft let the fans' opinions sway him when he hired the Hoodie?
Hell I have no idea. I am just talking about the mediocrity / losing culture this franchise/fanbase embraces..

But at this point we are back at square one with Reid and Smith... We're going to need a culture change again before we can compete for a championship. And youre probably right, the culture from the ownership isnt about winning.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 09:43 AM 10-12-2016
Hell I have no idea. I am just talking about the mediocrity / losing culture this franchise/fanbase embraces..

But at this point we are back at square one with Reid and Smith... We're going to need a culture change again before we can compete for a championship. And youre probably right, the culture from the ownership isnt about winning.
Clark is not the type to tell the GM and coach what to do about players. Dorsey tried to get Foles 3 years ago because Andy wanted him and couldn't. Second choice was Smith and it happened. The draft was not an option that year.

I can't imagine that Dorsey is not disgusted with Smith's pathetic scoring ability after being in GB for so long. If Dorsey is a real GM then he will not make that mistake again and use a high draft pick on prospect the future in 2017. The Smith era needs to be done.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 10:45 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
I'm in that camp. They are risk adverse and would rather constantly hover in the middle and make money. That's their prerogative, but the franchise is make money first, win 2nd.
They understand that they have to spend money to make money, but that money is targeted at keeping them marketable.
The Hunts are already rich. I don't think they care too much whether the Chiefs are making money or not. They will be rich regardless.

You can't blame them for all the Chief failures. It's on the players, coaches and GM more than anything.

The Hunts are pretty hands off owners. They hire the best talent they can find and hope for the best. What more do you want?
[Reply]
RunKC 11:07 AM 10-12-2016
"I've gotta get that next Len Dawson"-Andy Reid at his first press conference.

Does that answer your question?
[Reply]
dls6501 11:41 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by TigerUppercut:
So you're saying Sherman, Kam, Wagner, Lockett, Rawls, Michaels, Bennett, Baldwin, Kearse, Glowinski, Britt, Earl Thomas, KJ wright just magically appeared on their roster?? :-):-):-) . You literally said for over 3 years Seattle hasn't drafted players that are playing well.

And you understand the players Seattle can't afford that have gone to free agency convert into compensatory picks for them the following year?

Seattle has been the best in finding talent since Carroll landed there, so good that they have to release players that have gone on to become our starters because Reid/Dorsey respect their talent evaluation . Perennial playoff contenders and you have the ignorance to say that they don't have any of their drafted players left and aren't actually playing well? They have been SB contenders for 4 years plus and you haven't noticed that is mind blowingly stupid.

Who do you think replaced Percy Harvin and Golden Tate for Seattle, Santa Claus??
I refuse to believe you are this dense.

Your ORIGINAL point was because the Seahawks/Carroll draft so well, they can afford to give out a huge contract to Wilson.

I point out that they have NOT drafted well in the past few years (a couple of which I am being generous by including because they were prior to Russell's extension).

Then you go on to list players who were drafted in 2009, 2010, 2011, players who werent even drafted at all, and players who make up arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL to attempt to make your point. Its like arguing with a child.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 11:48 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
The Hunts are already rich. I don't think they care too much whether the Chiefs are making money or not. They will be rich regardless.

You can't blame them for all the Chief failures. It's on the players, coaches and GM more than anything.

The Hunts are pretty hands off owners. They hire the best talent they can find and hope for the best. What more do you want?
No, I recall a few years ago reading a profile on the Hunt family. Certainly not poor, but they are a lot more dependent upon the Chiefs and nowhere near as prosperous in their other holdings like a few decades ago. Along with the division of assets among family and previously held companies sold off, year over year the Chiefs are more and more buttering their bread.
[Reply]
MotherfuckerJones 04:01 PM 10-12-2016
This. It's ownership driven. There's no other explanation in my opinion. It seems like Clark is perfectly content being decent and doesn't want to dare to be great.
[Reply]
NWTF 06:52 PM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by Mother****erJones:
This. It's ownership driven. There's no other explanation in my opinion. It seems like Clark is perfectly content being decent and doesn't want to dare to be great.
Aside from a couple bad seasons the Chiefs have maintained mediocrity or just slightly above pretty well sense about 1989. Thats not a dig. It could be viewed as a moderate success if not going below a certain level and maintaining a modest level of respectability is the goal. Which for the Hunts I think it is. Anything beyond that is considered a BONUS.

If you really think about it the Chiefs have done better than most of the league in that time span of not falling below the mediocrity level. The only bad thing is of course they have not had much success getting beyond that level and into the upper echelon. The playoff failure record during that stretch kind of sums it all up. Good enough to get invited often enough,but never good enough to stay. I suppose the Marty years would have to be considered the gold standard in that time.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 07:18 PM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
There's absolutely no doubt that the Chiefs ****ed up. Passing on Carr isn't like passing on Sanchez or Dalton or Kaepernick. It's not like failing to make a trade for Paxton Lynch.

The Chiefs had a clear opportunity to draft a franchise QB but passed because of Alex Smith. It's not so much about Smith as it is the Chiefs shitty QB mentality.

That said, he fell to #34 overall. Scouts, GM's and owners were wary of him because of his brother's failure in the NFL. QB needy teams like the Browns, Bills, Jets, Tampa, Arizona, the Rams, Redskins, Cowboys (Romo's always injured), Texans (twice) and arguably Chicago and Minnesota all passed on him because of the reputation of brother.

IMO, the Chiefs need to use all their draft capital from Comp Picks and even 2018's #1 pick to trade up for a QB. They're the 3rd youngest team in the NFL and don't need 11 picks next year.

I don't give a shit who it is, just ****ing do it.

It's way past time.
Quite the 180 from how you used to talk shit to me for pointing this out....

Kudos for admitting this
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:26 PM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
Quite the 180 from how you used to talk shit to me for pointing this out....

Kudos for admitting this
Drafting a QB and trading for Alex Smith are mutually exclusive concepts.

I've wanted Brees, Ryan, Sanchez, Clausen and Kaepernick over the years.

I wanted nothing to do with Geno Smith. I loved Luck and RGIII and think most of his issues were coaching.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, other than believing that Alex Smith wasn't Matt Cassel.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 40
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Up