ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 17
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>**Happy Juneteenth**
Rasputin 06:53 AM 06-19-2024
What are you doing to celebrate this new Federal holiday?

What's on the dinner menu?

Did you get the day off or got to work and collect holiday pay?

Happy Juneteenth :-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:10 AM 06-19-2024
and just like that, pride skips a day
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:11 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by Eureka:
On a holiday such as this I will celebrate by having the following for dinner....

Along with a cold one...

You're eating hope solo?
[Reply]
scho63 08:20 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
You're eating hope solo?
:-)

Hope Solo is ROAST Beef. That is CORNED beef.

KNOW YOUR MEATS PLEASE!
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:23 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by scho63:

Hope Solo is ROAST Beef. That is CORNED beef.

KNOW YOUR MEATS PLEASE!
My apologies. I didn't get a taste.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 08:24 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Also:

On June 19, 1775, George Washington received his commission as commander in chief of the Continental army from the delegates assembled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
That should be the national holiday.

We aren't a nation without it.

Along with the Battle of Yorktown.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:26 AM 06-19-2024
I always celebrate this day with some beef taco cones.

You can use a muffin pan to make them stand straight up!

[Reply]
Marcellus 08:28 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
Just looked it up. Yep, end of slavery as the last state to hold out on enforcing the Emancipation Proclamation (Texas) freed their slaves on June 19th 1865.

I mean, OK, that's a worthwhile thing to celebrate I suppose. More important than probably Columbus Day, or at least as important.
That's not even accurate. The date slavery totally ended was Dec 6th but Juneteenth sounds better.

Originally Posted by :
Although this date commemorates enslaved people learning of their freedom under the Emancipation Proclamation, this only applied to former Confederate states. There remained legally enslaved people in states that never seceded from the Union. These people did not gain their freedom until the ratification of the 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution on December 6, 1865.

[Reply]
GeorgeZimZam 08:34 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
That's not even accurate. The date slavery totally ended was Dec 6th but Juneteenth sounds better.
You don't like how Decembxth rolls off the tongue?
[Reply]
wazu 08:38 AM 06-19-2024
The holiday was originally just celebrated in Texas starting in 1866, so the date makes sense. June needed a holiday anyway. Kinda fun that this one can fall on any day of the week like Independence Day. Today is like a mini-weekend.
[Reply]
Eureka 08:40 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
What's on the dinner menu?

Maybe, this is a better dinner choice to celebrate this holiday?

[Reply]
ThrobProng 08:44 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
The end of slavery in the US.
Good for them I guess, but imagine how much cheaper goods and services could be today...
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:45 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I always celebrate this day with some beef taco cones.

You can use a muffin pan to make them stand straight up!

[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:45 AM 06-19-2024
There’s more history others have touched on but stripping that away it’s just a de facto vs de jure argument.

They wanted one date and went with the one that already held some cultural significance in parts of the South.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 08:45 AM 06-19-2024
Bigfoot has to cut the cunt out of a cow. Because his idiot son left DNA
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:46 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
So, what are we actually supposed to be celebrating today? I honestly don't know...
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
The end of slavery in the US.
You two and a lot others on here need to read a history book every once in a while.

Lincoln freed the slaves in 1863. The Texas territory decided not to tell the slaves and keep them as slaves. The federal government forced Texas to finally tell the slaves on June 19th 1865 that they were free. The carrot was Texas would be accepted as a state as soon as they freed the slaves. 1866 Texas became a state. It was a trade off. It was a political deal. Nothing to do with human beings being the property of other human beings.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 17
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up