ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Jury Rules NFL Violated Antitrust Laws in Sunday Ticket' Case and Awards $4.7B
Bwana 03:25 PM 06-27-2024
Jury Rules NFL Violated Antitrust Laws in 'Sunday Ticket' Case and Awards $4.7 Billion in Damages.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A jury in U.S. District Court ruled Thursday the NFL violated antitrust laws in distributing out-of-market Sunday afternoon games on a premium subscription services and has awarded nearly $4.7 billion in damages.

The jury ordered the league to pay $4 billion in damages to the residential class and $96 million in damages to the commercial class.
The NFL is expected to appeal to the 9th Circuit and then possibly the Supreme Court.

“This case transcends football. This case matters,” plaintiffs attorney Bill Carmody said during Wednesday's closing arguments. “It’s about justice. It’s about telling the 32 team owners who collectively own all the big TV rights, the most popular content in the history of TV — that’s what they have. It’s about telling them that even you cannot ignore the antitrust laws. Even you cannot collude to overcharge consumers. Even you can’t hide the truth and think you’re going to get away with it.”

The league maintained it has the right to sell “Sunday Ticket” under its antitrust exemption for broadcasting. The plaintiffs say that only covers over-the-air broadcasts and not pay TV.

DirecTV had “Sunday Ticket” from its inception in 1994 through 2022. The league signed a seven-year deal with Google’s YouTube TV that began with the 2023 season.
https://www.usnews.com/news/sports/a...ion-in-damages
[Reply]
BleedingRed 05:54 PM 06-27-2024
No one will see that money
[Reply]
Smed1065 06:24 PM 06-27-2024
The Gov..
[Reply]
Smed1065 06:25 PM 06-27-2024
Originally Posted by Smed1065:
The Gov..
Screw the average person over is fine because Gov) gets the fines.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:37 PM 06-27-2024
Sunday Ticket was the only reason we had Direct Tv for 16 years up in Chicagoland to get the Chiefs games.

They owe me a couple mil
[Reply]
Frazod 06:39 PM 06-27-2024
Originally Posted by Regime:
Yeah I have to have it now living in DC. We will get east coast crap over chiefs unless they are playing a good team.
I noticed that a lot last season, the first year in forever that I went without Sunday Ticket, mainly because previously I was paying several hundred dollars to be able to watch Chiefs games when they carried in Chicago pretty much every weekend. But as my luck would have it, last season was different, and I missed four or five games. I may go ahead and bite the ST bullet again this year.

I think a part of it is league-wide Chiefs fatigue, or just flat out hatred. There were a couple of times when the game shown instead of KC v. whoever wasn't any more competitive or compelling.

As always, it is infuriating that anybody has to pay to watch something that 50% fucking commercials. Greedy, soulless bastards. :-)
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:43 PM 06-27-2024
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Sunday Ticket was the only reason we had Direct Tv for 16 years up in Chicagoland to get the Chiefs games.

They owe me a couple mil
Agreed. 22 years in MPLS with DTV to see the Chiefs. Watched a lot of bad Palko with that money. Someone owes me.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 06:48 PM 06-27-2024
This is BS... You got your free over the air games every week based on which game your local network wanted to cover. Before Sunday ticket, you were screwed. It's a premium product, but a dumbed down jury, again, doesn't get it. We are a victim driven culture. The plaintiff's attorneys will get about 40-50% of the judgement, very little will go to the people.
[Reply]
Stewie 06:56 PM 06-27-2024
I had Sunday Ticket from about 98 to 08. I'm waiting for my class action check for $1.59.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:14 PM 06-27-2024
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Agreed. 22 years in MPLS with DTV to see the Chiefs. Watched a lot of bad Palko with that money. Someone owes me.
Drove all the way to Green Bay to watch Haley leave Palko in the entire game as a fuck you to Pioli.

Todd Haley, Squirmin Herm, Larry Johnson, Matt Cassel, oh the memories :-)
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:16 PM 06-27-2024
Originally Posted by Stewie:
I had Sunday Ticket from about 98 to 08. I'm waiting for my class action check for $1.59.
98 is when we got it as well, paid $499 for the DTV dish and receiver at Montgomery Ward. Guess we stayed with them until 2016.
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:20 PM 06-27-2024
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Nah, $1.59 off your next subscription to Sunday Ticket, but you have to sign up for 5 years.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 07:20 PM 06-27-2024
Originally Posted by ThrobProng:
We win unless the cost of a 1 team package is similar to or more than the latest Sunday Ticket cost.
I have a feeling it will be substantially cheaper because this info is a big reason why there was an antitrust lawsuit in the first place.

ESPN proposed radically cutting the price of Sunday Ticket, to just $70 for the entire 2023 season, according to Courthouse News Service. The ESPN proposal, ultimately rejected by the league, also included single-team packages. (YouTube TV is currently offering Sunday Ticket at $349 for the 2024 season.) The NFL wasn’t interested in the ESPN proposal, according to an email from Rolapp that was shown in court.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:24 PM 06-27-2024
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
I have a feeling it will be substantially cheaper because this info is a big reason why there was an antitrust lawsuit in the first place.

ESPN proposed radically cutting the price of Sunday Ticket, to just $70 for the entire 2023 season, according to Courthouse News Service. The ESPN proposal, ultimately rejected by the league, also included single-team packages. (YouTube TV is currently offering Sunday Ticket at $349 for the 2024 season.) The NFL wasn’t interested in the ESPN proposal, according to an email from Rolapp that was shown in court.
Yes, because the ESPN package was most likely a far lessor bid.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:26 PM 06-27-2024
What they gonna do about the playoff games on Peacock
[Reply]
In58men 07:14 AM 06-28-2024

A key line in this story: “Should the NFL end up paying damages, it could cost each of the 32 teams approximately $449.6 million.” #NFL https://t.co/8hmpQflrGD

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) June 28, 2024

[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up