ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 18
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Craig Stout: Chris Jones has been lining up at DE a TON at OTAs.
staylor26 05:09 PM 05-28-2021
Only a fucking moron thinks that Jones will be playing outside on passing downs. This is simply a way to get your best 4 (Clark, Nnadi, Reed, Jones) on early downs. That’s all.

In no way is it a “big risk” either, considering it’s not permanent/irreversible.
[Reply]
Direckshun 05:14 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Only a ****ing moron thinks that Jones will be playing outside on passing downs. This is simply a way to get your best 4 (Clark, Nnadi, Reed, Jones) on early downs. That’s all.

In no way is it a “big risk” either, considering it’s not permanent/irreversible.
The logic Stout trotted out is that Reed is actually a good pass rusher and a stout run defender, whereas Jones gives you a ton more pressure-ability on the edge than anybody else on the roster.

Which, I don’t know, sure.

I don’t know what talent Jones has that translates to the edge. But maybe the weight loss unlocks dormant abilities I didn’t know about it.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:06 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
The logic Stout trotted out is that Reed is actually a good pass rusher and a stout run defender, whereas Jones gives you a ton more pressure-ability on the edge than anybody else on the roster.

Which, I don’t know, sure.

I don’t know what talent Jones has that translates to the edge. But maybe the weight loss unlocks dormant abilities I didn’t know about it.
It's not technically the actual edge, but he had multiple years of double digit sacks lining up at DE in Sutton's 3-4. And for all intents and purposes, his role and responsibilities would look pretty darn similar for the downs in which he's playing 4-3 DE-- soak up double teams from the tackle/guard, and if possible, shed those assholes and make a play, which is what he's excels at.

Justin Tuck in Spagnuolo's Giants teams was also unfamiliar with 4-3 end at one point in his career until they had him in there on certain downs for the better of the rotation. Lo and behold, guys who are the NFL's best interior rushers can also do damage at DE if asked, and then you got to see fresher players at the other DL positions as a result. And frankly, Jones is a better player than Justin Tuck was.

Think of how good Chris Jones is and ask yourself if there's ANY spot on the DL that couldn't use his amazing athletic gifts. Now move him around all the time. Or play him according to matchups if the opposing offense has a weak link against Jones' strengths as a player. Fuck... put Jones at fucking CB if it means we're going to get the best possible defense. I don't care. And I think that's what Spags is really in tune with.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:28 AM 05-29-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
It's not technically the actual edge, but he had multiple years of double digit sacks lining up at DE in Sutton's 3-4. And for all intents and purposes, his role and responsibilities would look pretty darn similar for the downs in which he's playing 4-3 DE-- soak up double teams from the tackle/guard, and if possible, shed those assholes and make a play, which is what he's excels at.

Justin Tuck in Spagnuolo's Giants teams was also unfamiliar with 4-3 end at one point in his career until they had him in there on certain downs for the better of the rotation. Lo and behold, guys who are the NFL's best interior rushers can also do damage at DE if asked, and then you got to see fresher players at the other DL positions as a result. And frankly, Jones is a better player than Justin Tuck was.

Think of how good Chris Jones is and ask yourself if there's ANY spot on the DL that couldn't use his amazing athletic gifts. Now move him around all the time. Or play him according to matchups if the opposing offense has a weak link against Jones' strengths as a player. Fuck... put Jones at fucking CB if it means we're going to get the best possible defense. I don't care. And I think that's what Spags is really in tune with.

Hells to the yes to all of this. Plus, with LB in Bolton and Gay who are effective blitz guys, a 43 under alignment makes a lot of sense and gives the Chiefs a lot of options.
[Reply]
Toad 07:36 AM 05-29-2021
DE snaps for CJ is not a new concept. Spag gave him snaps there the past 2 years. If memory serves, the risk/downside was that CJ had some opportunity with contain.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 05:15 PM 05-28-2021
This is really no big surprise, pretty much assumed it would happen when we signed Reed. Nnadi is the best run defender on the roster and this is really about putting your best guys on the field as much as possible. Our best 3 lineman happen to all be DTs so you adjust accordingly.

He’ll play outside on 1st and 2nd down and move inside with Reed on passing downs. It makes sense.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:26 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
This is really no big surprise, pretty much assumed it would happen when we signed Reed. Nnadi is the best run defender on the roster and this is really about putting your best guys on the field as much as possible. Our best 3 lineman happen to all be DTs so you adjust accordingly.

He’ll play outside on 1st and 2nd down and move inside with Reed on passing downs. It makes sense.
Agree.

As soon as they signed Reed, this was a logical prediction.

I think we'll see a lot of Jones at LE early in games, on 1st downs. Once the Chiefs have a lead of 2+ scores or on 2nd and 3rd down, we'll see Jones kick inside with Reed and Charlton on the edge.

I think it can actually wreck a lot of defenses. I'm excited to see it.
[Reply]
Mecca 05:15 PM 05-28-2021
Unless the Chiefs are going to sign an end this is inevitable. They are sitting there with a ton of DT depth while DE doesn't have that.

Kaindoh isn't ready..Taco probably shouldn't get massive reps because of his injury past so you're now at Clark and Danna.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:27 PM 05-28-2021
and maybe they like Ward, he flashed in week 17.

And I am pretty sure they'll sign a vet before the season starts, too.
[Reply]
staylor26 05:29 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:

Ward is probably the least talked about guy that we should all be discussing more for 2021.

He absolutely flashed in that week 17 game.
[Reply]
Direckshun 05:31 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Ward is probably the least talked about guy that we should all be discussing more for 2021.

He absolutely flashed in that week 17 game.
Does he make the roster right now?
[Reply]
staylor26 05:32 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Does he make the roster right now?
Yes, no question.

Unless they sign a veteran, he’s probably a lock.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 03:46 AM 05-31-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:

Ward flashed against the Saints too. Kid has something if he can develope it.
[Reply]
Jamie 05:38 PM 05-28-2021
Didn't Jones say some stuff implying that he preferred to play DE when we switched to the 4-3?
[Reply]
Direckshun 05:44 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Didn't Jones say some stuff implying that he preferred to play DE when we switched to the 4-3?
He’s been saying it for two years.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 18
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up