ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 13
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any George Lynch fans out there??
PRIEST 11:00 PM 09-19-2012
great player
[Reply]
TheGuardian 11:29 PM 09-19-2012
Yup. Great player. I used to jam with this guy when I was like 13 or so. He was a huge Lynch fan and we'd play Dokken tunes for hours. He could hit everything lick for lick. Pretty awesome.
[Reply]
Saccopoo 11:42 PM 09-19-2012
He's okay.

Not Thurston Moore, but okay.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:29 AM 09-20-2012

[Reply]
Braincase 06:57 AM 09-20-2012
I'm a fan of George, and "Mr. Scary" is his signature solo. That said, my top four are Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson and Brian Carroll.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:49 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Braincase:
I'm a fan of George, and "Mr. Scary" is his signature solo. That said, my top four are Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson and Brian Carroll.
There was alot of great "Guitar Gods" from the hair metal era, but unfortunately, people laugh off alot of that era now.

Slash
Mick Mars
Vinnie Vincent
Vitto Bratta
nuno bettencourt
Vai
Vivian Campbell
Steve Clark

but my fav is probably Stevie Ray Vaughn who was born of that era, but pretty far removed from it obviously.
[Reply]
frankotank 01:23 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
There was alot of great "Guitar Gods" from the hair metal era, but unfortunately, people laugh off alot of that era now.

Slash
Mick Mars
Vinnie Vincent
Vitto Bratta
nuno bettencourt
Vai
Vivian Campbell
Steve Clark

but my fav is probably Stevie Ray Vaughn who was born of that era, but pretty far removed from it obviously.
SRV is my fav by far. Nuno can really play (flight of the wounded bumblebee on some old Extreme CD is nuts). even saw him live a few times when he went solo. Johnny Lang is no slouch. Kenny Wayne Shepherd is friggin insane good as well.

you guys making "meh" type comments about the thread video just crack me up. it's nothing short of fucking AMAZING that anyone could play that good. AMAZING! Lynch is insane I sold my soul to the devil good! nothing meh about it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:31 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:

Slash
Mick Mars
Vinnie Vincent
Vitto Bratta
nuno bettencourt
Vai
Vivian Campbell
Steve Clark

I don't consider Slash a "Guitar God", although he's got an extremely distinctive sound and style.

Mick Mars? No. Awful guitar tone, nothing special as a player.

Vinnie Vincent? The guy recorded his guitar solos at half speed (15ips), then they were played back at regular speed (30ips). Total poser phony.

Nuno? Sure. He's a great player. Nothing distinct about his tone, solos or writing but he can play.

Vivian Campbell? Nah. He's a Gary Moore clone, and not even a good clone at that. He just happened to get the Dio gig after Jake turned it down.

Steve Clark? I'm dumbfounded. Steve Clark?

IMO, Vai's the only "Guitar God" on your list and he's still active, albeit, not in the spotlight.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:35 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Vivian Campbell? Nah. He's a Gary Moore clone, and not even a good clone at that. He just happened to get the Dio gig after Jake turned it down.
You're much more critical than I am. Of course, now that I think about it, his post-Dio resume is pretty bad...
[Reply]
petegz28 04:50 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I don't consider Slash a "Guitar God", although he's got an extremely distinctive sound and style.

Mick Mars? No. Awful guitar tone, nothing special as a player.

Vinnie Vincent? The guy recorded his guitar solos at half speed (15ips), then they were played back at regular speed (30ips). Total poser phony.

Nuno? Sure. He's a great player. Nothing distinct about his tone, solos or writing but he can play.

Steve Clark? I'm dumbfounded. Steve Clark?

IMO, Vai's the only "Guitar God" on your list and he's still active, albeit, not in the spotlight.
I think Mick Mars is underrated not for his soloing ability but just his general playing and writing. I never cared for Vai though I admit I am in the minority on him but he never did anything that just blew me away like others have.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:59 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I think Mick Mars is underrated not for his soloing ability but just his general playing and writing. I never cared for Vai though I admit I am in the minority on him but he never did anything that just blew me away like others have.
What has Mick Mars written of note? The last few albums have been written by outside writers and for the most part, I thought that everything was written by Nikki.

I have to admit, I'm not the biggest Crue fan. They've always been to "light" for me and kinda goofy.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:32 PM 09-20-2012
Slash - not hair metal, in some ways GNR signified the death of hair metal
Mick Mars - BLECH
Vinnie Vincent - BLECH
Vitto Bratta - ouch, what? White Lion? Come on man...
nuno bettencourt - brilliant guitar player, HORRIBLE band
Vai - finally, you have a hit :-)
Vivian Campbell - ahem, Vivian Campbell has a Dio number of ONE :-)

If I were to make a list of some of my favorites from that era:

Marty Friedman - love his solo stuff, Megadeth with him will always be my favorite lineup
Alex Skolnick
Yngwie Malmsteen - I know, I know. Enormous dickhead. Call it a guilty pleasure
Joe Satriani - the best I've ever seen or heard, his guitar work in many ways transcends the guitar
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 01:58 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Joe Satriani - the best I've ever seen or heard, his guitar work in many ways transcends the guitar
Yea, he was awesome. I used to listen to Surfing with the Alien all the time...

Loved Eric Johnson too during the Cliffs of Dover era.
[Reply]
Lzen 02:34 PM 09-20-2012
Marty Friedman - love his solo stuff, Megadeth with him will always be my favorite lineup
This! :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:46 PM 09-20-2012
I LOVED the first two Megadeth records with Marty, especially "Countdown". The third, not so much.

Since then, I'd lost interest until Chris Broderick joined. That dude is ridiculously sick and just as "twisted" and talented at Friedman. He's a really great player and nails Marty's solos and feel note for note.

I always thought Friedman would have been the best choice after Sharon fired Jake but they went with Zakk. Friedman, IMO, would have taken them back to the Rhoads era but Sharon wanted to turn him into a pop star.

You know, more money and all that.

:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 13
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up