View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 198 of 343
« First < 98148188194195196197198 199200201202208248298 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:32 PM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
So you sign a cheaper vet and draft a developmental guy.

You simply cannot bring back OBJ at his current salary demands. It cannot happen. Good teams don't make moves like that.
Is there a LT development guy ever in the draft? How often has a practice squad LT gone on to be a pro bowler? We can’t allow an average LT to be protecting our football savior. We have to do better.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 04:52 PM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
It's been four games. Things could turn around for OBJ. He didn't regress from last year because he's old and washed. It's either an injury (which will hopefully heal), or something is wrong mentally/technique-wise that he can fix.
He wasn’t a world beater last year, so if that’s the bar…
[Reply]
Red Dawg 05:32 PM 10-05-2022
Trade up or hit FA for better if possible. We have the picks so trade up and get a better one.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 10-05-2022, 05:33 PM
This message has been deleted by Red Dawg.
BWillie 05:39 PM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
Nobody is talking about throwing a Jordan Black or Cam Erving out there.

You said yourself Brown has been "below average." The point is there are plenty of guys out there who can be below average for a hell of a lot cheaper than $20-25 million a year.

The guy is basically skating by on his name and a ceiling that people think is there because of his pedigree. It's becoming more and more clear though that sometimes the apple *does* fall far from the tree. This guy is nowhere near the player his dad was, I and I doubt he'll ever get anywhere close.
One of best posts of this thread. Absolutely right.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:24 AM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Is there a LT development guy ever in the draft? How often has a practice squad LT gone on to be a pro bowler? We can’t allow an average LT to be protecting our football savior. We have to do better.
Of course there is. There's a ton of tackles in the league that weren't drafted in the top of the 1st.

It's not about getting a pro bowler right now, it's about rectifying the salary problem that OBJ presents.

Yes, they have to do better eventually. But right now, they have a Frank Clark situation brewing and they have to stop the bleeding first.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 08:01 AM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Of course there is. There's a ton of tackles in the league that weren't drafted in the top of the 1st.

It's not about getting a pro bowler right now, it's about rectifying the salary problem that OBJ presents.

Yes, they have to do better eventually. But right now, they have a Frank Clark situation brewing and they have to stop the bleeding first.
Yup.

It's not about finding an elite tackle, at least initially. We just need someone who can be average for a few mil. a year vs. 16 mil. (what OBJ is making now) or 25 mil. a year (what he's wanting). At this point (after the season, that is) it will be a monetary situation first to take care of.

Once you've replaced your average (at best) LT with another average LT (for much cheaper) you can worry later about finding an upgrade or maybe even drafting a developing a stud to replace him.

But, again, OBJ is getting till the end of this season to prove himself. So maybe he'll get better (healthier?) and surprise us later on in the year? :-)

Not holding my breath, though.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:36 AM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
A great LT would be fantastic, however, those are rare-and there isn't any scheduled to be a FA, nor does this appear to be a draft class that contains one.

Lots of SB's have been won with decent LT's. We may well win one with Brown, for example.

What you CANNOT do is vastly overpay at the position just because you want him to be elite. If he's not, he's not, and you can't tie up money that way. See Frank Clark, 2020-2022. If you've got a couple of contracts like that you really hurt your roster.

For an example of a 'developmental LT', I would once again give you the example of Nijman, from Green Bay. Bahktiari goes down (by the way, he was a 4th rounder and is probably the best LT in football when healthy, but he's a rare case) and then HIS back-up goes down, and in goes Nijman early last year, and so far this year. He's done well, even earning praise from Rodgers. Bahktiari is close to returning, and he's the best, and on a large contract. That puts Nijman back on the bench after performing well at LT for a season and a half-after being an UDFA. He's basically their Prince Wanegho. Only he was pressed in to service and has played well.

I've seen it printed that he's under contract in '23, and I've seen it printed that he's a RFA. Either way, he'd be a worthwhile guy to go get as he's demonstrated that he can play the position at at least an average level (with a similar style QB, which is also important) and will not be expensive (YET). Brown, on the other hand, just cannot handle a speed rusher at all. If anything, he looks even slower this year. I would not pay this man a contract anywhere near the top of the market.

But you could win just the same with Nijman, and have a lot of money to fill other need positions, like DE.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:46 AM 10-06-2022
Nijman has been in the league 4 years, including a year on the IR.

Honestly, I'm not sure why he'd even be an RFA - I think he should be a UFA unless he signed a multi-year extension last year (and I don't see anything to suggest he did).

I see a 1-year deal signed in April. But from what I see he was an ERFA at the time so I would think that makes him an RFA this off-season. I wonder if that 1st season had him release with an injury designation at some point so he doesn't have his full 4 years of service time.

I think he's likely to be an RFA this off-season based on what I can find.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 12:03 PM 10-06-2022
PFF has KC's offensive line as the second best line in the NFL after 4 weeks.

Brown is the lowest rated starter on the Chiefs. They have him allowing 4 of the 9 pressures against TB.

Player Grade
Brown 60.5
Thuney 77
Creed 84.5
Smith 65.7
Wylie 67
[Reply]
TEX 12:12 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
PFF has KC's offensive line as the second best line in the NFL after 4 weeks.

Brown is the lowest rated starter on the Chiefs. They have him allowing 4 of the 9 pressures against TB.

Player Grade
Brown 60.5
Thuney 77
Creed 84.5
Smith 65.7
Wylie 67
It's easy to see that Brown is the weakest link.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:59 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Nijman has been in the league 4 years, including a year on the IR.

Honestly, I'm not sure why he'd even be an RFA - I think he should be a UFA unless he signed a multi-year extension last year (and I don't see anything to suggest he did).

I see a 1-year deal signed in April. But from what I see he was an ERFA at the time so I would think that makes him an RFA this off-season. I wonder if that 1st season had him release with an injury designation at some point so he doesn't have his full 4 years of service time.

I think he's likely to be an RFA this off-season based on what I can find.
yeah I don't know. He doesn't show up on FA lists, and only found what I did from articles from GB blogs and whatnot.

But there's an example of a young and experienced player that has proven himself competent that won't break the bank. There may well be a few more I'm unaware of.
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 02:00 PM 10-06-2022
yeah brown not doing it.
[Reply]
poolboy 02:24 PM 10-06-2022
I would be happy If Brown could be average with an average paycheck
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:40 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by poolboy:
I would be happy If Brown could be average with an average paycheck
The market being what it is, if he'd come back even on, say, Taylor Decker's deal - I'd be okay with that.

But yeah - he appears to have decided he'd rather price himself out. I mean the dude's dad had his career essentially ended by an arrant flag, I get it. Get your bag when you can, bud.

But I wouldn't be the one to pay it to him...
[Reply]
raybec 4 03:54 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The market being what it is, if he'd come back even on, say, Taylor Decker's deal - I'd be okay with that.

But yeah - he appears to have decided he'd rather price himself out. I mean the dude's dad had his career essentially ended by an arrant flag, I get it. Get your bag when you can, bud.

But I wouldn't be the one to pay it to him...
I fully understand the thinking behind getting every dollar you can get while you can get it. At some point though, he has to at least entertain the idea that the bag he's going to get isn't quite as big as he'd like for it to be.
[Reply]
Page 198 of 343
« First < 98148188194195196197198 199200201202208248298 > Last »
Up