View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 197 of 343
« First < 97147187193194195196197 198199200201207247297 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 10:23 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Geron Christian IS a moneyball approach, IMO.

They went and found a cheap player who does the thing most important for them well - pass blocking. But because he only pass blocks well, he was cheap.

It's Billy Beane signing fat guys who can't field but get on base and hit for power. Sure, you're not a 5 tool player, but you do the thing I value well and your shortcomings elsewhere make you cost effective.

I'm not rooting for an OBJ injury or anything - but man, I'd be REAL intrigued by what Christian could provide as an upgrade in pass pro.

This is a savvy front office. They already moneyballed the WR room a bit and I think they might have the stones to try it at LT as well. We shall see...
I've been thinking about this a lot myself. They'll have a full year to look at Christian in practice and work with him. I highly doubt there will be much demand for him so he'll obviously come back cheap if they decide he's worth keeping. He's always had talent, but he's just played for garbage organizations. I really don't care how much better of a run blocker Brown might be, our main concern should always be protecting #15, and he is simply not good enough at it.

If my options are paying $25 million a year to Brown or going with Christian short term and drafting a guy early on and letting them compete for the job, it's not even a difficult decision at this point.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:25 AM 10-05-2022
If you think Christian is even a viable swing-tackle long-term, you try to get him to sign a 2-3 year deal and THEN see if he can handle the starting gig.

Because you're right - there's not going to be a great deal of demand there.
[Reply]
O.city 10:26 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
If the offense can continue to score and the run defense continues to be as good as it has been, the team will be pretty good off at the end of the year.

I get what you're saying but so far, the moves they made on defense seem to be working out okay.
Hard to complain when it pays dividends like it has. And I think if you asked them, they'd tell you that "BPA" is exactly what got them Bryan Cook - afterall, it ain't like they were drafting for need there with Reid, Thornhill and Bush on the roster already.

They just missed on the evaluation of Lucas. But so did everyone else, really. Including the Seahawks, who wouldn't have let him fall to the 3rd if they thought he was a turnkey starting caliber LT.

Sometimes you gotta get a little lucky.
In the shorterm you can see how it works but longterm it just wrecks you.

They need to prioritize the DE spot for a bit but they also need a LT and probably a few more WR's. It's a shell game for sure, but it's just always something.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:27 AM 10-05-2022
Hopefully he’s working through a minor injury while also learning to play at a lower weight and by game 8-10 we start to see real improvement due to refined technique/footwork and his mobility improves with health.

I’m not sure he has the natural ability to hang with the top end edge guys, even with health and technique improvement but I’m hoping he can.

Still think Veach should have “re-raised” and closed the deal for Silverback. Man, this line would be incredible
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:28 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
My slight concern is their offer remains and he takes it. As others have said you'd have to hope his pride dictates he tests the market but unless he's getting very poor advice he must know this is the ceiling.
It's been four games. Things could turn around for OBJ. He didn't regress from last year because he's old and washed. It's either an injury (which will hopefully heal), or something is wrong mentally/technique-wise that he can fix.
[Reply]
O.city 10:29 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Hopefully he’s working through a minor injury while also learning to play at a lower weight and by game 8-10 we start to see real improvement due to refined technique/footwork and his mobility improves with health.

I’m not sure he has the natural ability to hang with the top end edge guys, even with health and technique improvement but I’m hoping he can.

Still think Veach should have “re-raised” and closed the deal for Silverback. Man, this line would be incredible
He's hurt to much to have paid him that. They lucked out and missed there.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:30 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:

They need to prioritize the DE spot for a bit but they also need a LT and probably a few more WR's. It's a shell game for sure, but it's just always something.
What is 'it' here?

Because again, BPA is what GOT them Bryan Cook, IMO.

But I think need may be what got them Karlaftis.

I don't really think the Chiefs have been guilty of tunnel vision in the draft over the last couple of years. I think they usually maintain a pretty good balance.

If they're guilty of anything it's that they kinda used hope as a plan w/r/t Orlando Brown. They hoped he'd continue to show development he showed over the 2nd half of last season where he definitely got better in pass pro.

But for me, the biggest red flag is how much he struggles at less than 100%. Because right now you're getting a sneak preview of OBJ's decline phase. This is what he'll look like as a 350 lb body ages into his late 20s. And it ain't pretty.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:31 AM 10-05-2022
He's hurt to much to have paid him that. They lucked out and missed there.
Probably right
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:32 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:

Williams has had injury issues his entire career. I think he's hurt right now, in fact.

I don't regret missing there. We gave it a fair shake and lost - hitting the 'bid now' button until you win is how you end up overpaying for guys like Watkins and Hitchens while re-setting the safety market for someone like Mathieu. It's just not a good approach.

And as for OBJ's injury - if losing a little lateral mobility has him this out of sorts, how's he gonna look in 2 seasons? It just makes me awfully nervous. Football players play at less than 100%, especially when we need them most in the post-season. If this is OBJ without his fastball, then he's not a guy we can invest in.

Matt Harvey was great when he was throwing 99. The moment he was throwing 96 he couldn't even stick in the Royals bullpen. That's just the way it goes for some guys. Adam Wainwright is down about 8 mph from his prime but he can still get outs - it's looking like OBJ may be more of the former than the latter.
[Reply]
O.city 10:32 AM 10-05-2022
What is 'it' here?

I don't really think the Chiefs have been guilty of tunnel vision in the draft over the last couple of years. I think they usually maintain a pretty good balance.

If they're guilty of anything it's that they kinda used hope as a plan w/r/t Orlando Brown. They hoped he'd continue to show development he showed over the 2nd half of last season where he definitely got better in pass pro.

But for me, the biggest red flag is how much he struggles at less than 100%. Because right now you're getting a sneak preview of OBJ's decline phase. This is what he'll look like as a 350 lb body ages into his late 20s. And it ain't pretty.
"It" being going defensive as much as they did.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:32 AM 10-05-2022
Geron Christian IS a moneyball approach, IMO.

They went and found a cheap player who does the thing most important for them well - pass blocking. But because he only pass blocks well, he was cheap.

It's Billy Beane signing fat guys who can't field but get on base and hit for power. Sure, you're not a 5 tool player, but you do the thing I value well and your shortcomings elsewhere make you cost effective.

I'm not rooting for an OBJ injury or anything - but man, I'd be REAL intrigued by what Christian could provide as an upgrade in pass pro.

This is a savvy front office. They already moneyballed the WR room a bit and I think they might have the stones to try it at LT as well. We shall see...
Not sure it was necessarily a money ball move as much as it was insurance. After the SB loss Veach has been very diligent about depth on the OL, especially OT. Niang is back, Prince is here, Christian was signed and they drafted Kinnard as an option. Seems hellbent on getting proper depth in case of disaster again.

What makes me think Christian was a depth move was the fact he was signed in March. They still wanted Brown Jr at the time.

4 months later Veach handed a pretty extensive highly paid contract offer to Brown Jr’s agent. They wanted him here and were happy to pay.

I just don’t think they cared much about OT early in the draft bc they thought Brown Jr was their guy at the time.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:35 AM 10-05-2022

Welcome to NFL football in the salary cap era.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:46 AM 10-05-2022
What is 'it' here?

Plus keep in mind that Jr. has yet to get a flag thrown into his facemask and hit him in the eye. If he's anything like his dad, that will basically jumpstart the brokedick phase of his career.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 04:02 PM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by DRM08:
If you let Tyreek walk, you gotta let Orlando walk as well. At least Tyreek is legitimately a great player, maybe the most dangerous weapon in football. Orlando is a long ways from great.
KC didn't exactly 'let Tyreek walk'.

They got a boat load of picks in the deal in addition to the salary cap relief from not signing him.

If any team wanted to make an offer like that for Brown...

...I would check to see which team hired Bill O'Brien as GM.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:19 PM 10-05-2022

The bad thing is that quality LTs and DEs usually come early in round one. The good thing about WRs is that quality WRs tend to come from all over the draft. Lots of second and third round studs, for example.

The bad news is that next year looks like a shit draft for LTs.
[Reply]
Page 197 of 343
« First < 97147187193194195196197 198199200201207247297 > Last »
Up