View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 196 of 343
« First < 96146186192193194195196 197198199200206246296 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
JPH83 09:53 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
You'll have to start thinking outside the box on the situation. Moneyball it if you have to but I just don't get the vibe that this front office wants to do that at the LT spot.

Maybe you take a flyer on a guy like Dillard getting it together or something, but I'd imagine it's either trade for an established guy or trade up in the draft kinda thing.
My slight concern is their offer remains and he takes it. As others have said you'd have to hope his pride dictates he tests the market but unless he's getting very poor advice he must know this is the ceiling.
[Reply]
O.city 09:54 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Correct.

It would have to be a Mathieu situation. And make no mistake, while I was absolutely ready to torch that bridge, I'd be surprised if the Chiefs were.

They let Mathieu walk and immediately hit the market looking for replacements. And when one came along at the price point they were comfortable with, they jumped.

Had Mathieu been the guy that hit that price point first, I think they might have bit. Or had there not been someone that got there for them and Mathieu got reasonable later in the FA signing period, they'd have brought him back.

That's how they'll have to approach the Brown situation. He'll have to hit the market and they'll see if they can find a better investment. If not and OBJ swallows his pride, he could still return.
Man, I'm just not sure they'll be willing to do that at the LT spot, like it or not.

They've been able to bandaid the safety spot here. I can't imagine they wanna do that at LT.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:55 AM 10-05-2022
You'll have to start thinking outside the box on the situation. Moneyball it if you have to but I just don't get the vibe that this front office wants to do that at the LT spot.

Maybe you take a flyer on a guy like Dillard getting it together or something, but I'd imagine it's either trade for an established guy or trade up in the draft kinda thing.
Geron Christian IS a moneyball approach, IMO.

They went and found a cheap player who does the thing most important for them well - pass blocking. But because he only pass blocks well, he was cheap.

It's Billy Beane signing fat guys who can't field but get on base and hit for power. Sure, you're not a 5 tool player, but you do the thing I value well and your shortcomings elsewhere make you cost effective.

I'm not rooting for an OBJ injury or anything - but man, I'd be REAL intrigued by what Christian could provide as an upgrade in pass pro.

This is a savvy front office. They already moneyballed the WR room a bit and I think they might have the stones to try it at LT as well. We shall see...
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:55 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
I think they just have to gut it up. It's less than ideal having an LT question next year but I don't think we can overpay for average. I get "average LT" has more value than "average RB", but there's obviously a cost in what you can't do elsewhere. Perhaps I'm just overly affected by the Clark contract, I just never want to see that sort of money going out the door multiple years to anything but domination.
You're not overly affected.

The Clark contract is a cautionary tale the Chiefs would do well to memorize.
[Reply]
O.city 09:57 AM 10-05-2022
Geron Christian IS a moneyball approach, IMO.

They went and found a cheap player who does the thing most important for them well - pass blocking. But because he only pass blocks well, he was cheap.

It's Billy Beane signing fat guys who can't field but get on base and hit for power. Sure, you're not a 5 tool player, but you do the thing I value well and your shortcomings elsewhere make you cost effective.

I'm not rooting for an OBJ injury or anything - but man, I'd be REAL intrigued by what Christian could provide as an upgrade in pass pro.

This is a savvy front office. They already moneyballed the WR room a bit and I think they might have the stones to try it at LT as well. We shall see...
It's possible.

History shows they won't though, in terms of what they did last time it was open with Williams and OBJ though. Maybe that was a unique situatin.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:57 AM 10-05-2022
Man, I'm just not sure they'll be willing to do that at the LT spot, like it or not.

They've been able to bandaid the safety spot here. I can't imagine they wanna do that at LT.
They wouldn't necessarily be band-aiding it, though.

We'd have to once again assume someone like Matt Pryor proves to be an adequate LT over the course of this season and the Colts let him walk.

You sign him to a 3 year deal you expect him to play out and it's very similar to signing Reid over Mathieu. Especially when the deals they were offering to OBJ, while 5 years in form, were really 3 years in substance.

A 3 year solution while you go to the draft to find a 5-10 year hopeful isn't really a band-aid. No more than signing Brown to a deal that you're likely to try to tear up in 3 years would be, anyway.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:58 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You're not overly affected.

The Clark contract is a cautionary tale the Chiefs would do well to memorize.
Frank Clark Fucking Sucks.
[Reply]
O.city 09:58 AM 10-05-2022
They wouldn't necessarily be band-aiding it, though.

We'd have to once again assume someone like Matt Pryor proves to be an adequate LT over the course of this season and the Colts let him walk.

You sign him to a 3 year deal you expect him to play out and it's very similar to signing Reid over Mathieu. Especially when the deals they were offering to OBJ, while 5 years in form, were really 3 years in substance.

A 3 year solution while you go to the draft to find a 5-10 year hopeful isn't really a band-aid. No more than signing Brown to a deal that you're likely to try to tear up in 3 years would be, anyway.
I mean in terms of being somewhat in the wind at LT. They'll have whatever move they wanna make ready to go there I'd guess.

The damn problem with going to the draft is you want a real legit toolsy all around guy to develop there. Those guys tend to go pretty early. But they've developed elsewhere so I'd trust them whichever route they go.
[Reply]
DRM08 09:59 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
I think they just have to gut it up. It's less than ideal having an LT question next year but I don't think we can overpay for average. I get "average LT" has more value than "average RB", but there's obviously a cost in what you can't do elsewhere. Perhaps I'm just overly affected by the Clark contract, I just never want to see that sort of money going out the door multiple years to anything but domination.
If you let Tyreek walk, you gotta let Orlando walk as well. At least Tyreek is legitimately a great player, maybe the most dangerous weapon in football. Orlando is a long ways from great.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:02 AM 10-05-2022
I mean in terms of being somewhat in the wind at LT. They'll have whatever move they wanna make ready to go there I'd guess.
You play the cards you're dealt.

Do they wish they'd have taken Abraham Lucas instead of Brian Cook? Yeah - they do. They'll never admit it, but there's no question in my mind.

But they didn't. So now they're left trying to sort through a pile of pretty piss poor options. And if given the choice between re-setting the market for a LT who struggles in pass pro OR being 'somewhat in the wind' - they'll go with the latter.

They're not giving that guy $25 million and $70 million guaranteed. Especially not now that he's shown that he can't really function well in this offense at 80%.

If you need to be fully healthy to be slightly above average for us here, that's not tenable as the player ages.
[Reply]
O.city 10:05 AM 10-05-2022

Do they wish they'd have taken Abraham Lucas instead of Brian Cook? Yeah - they do. They'll never admit it, but there's no question in my mind.

But they didn't. So now they're left trying to sort through a pile of pretty piss poor options. And if given the choice between re-setting the market for a LT who struggles in pass pro OR being 'somewhat in the wind' - they'll go with the latter.

They're not giving that guy $25 million and $70 million guaranteed. Especially not now that he's shown that he can't really function well in this offense at 80%.

If you need to be fully healthy to be slightly above average for us here, that's not tenable as the player ages.
Yeah, I'd guess they wish they'd have gone a different direction with some stuff, but hindsight is hindshight.

I dont' see how they bring him back at this point unless something drastic changes but he is still only 26.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:06 AM 10-05-2022

Exactly.
[Reply]
O.city 10:08 AM 10-05-2022
This is where being hellbent on rebuilding the defense comes at a cost and where "BPA" in the draft just works out better for you.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:12 AM 10-05-2022
This is where being hellbent on rebuilding the defense comes at a cost and where "BPA" in the draft just works out better for you.
If the offense can continue to score and the run defense continues to be as good as it has been, the team will be pretty good off at the end of the year.

I get what you're saying but so far, the moves they made on defense seem to be working out okay.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:22 AM 10-05-2022
Hard to complain when it pays dividends like it has. And I think if you asked them, they'd tell you that "BPA" is exactly what got them Bryan Cook - afterall, it ain't like they were drafting for need there with Reid, Thornhill and Bush on the roster already.

They just missed on the evaluation of Lucas. But so did everyone else, really. Including the Seahawks, who wouldn't have let him fall to the 3rd if they thought he was a turnkey starting caliber LT.

Sometimes you gotta get a little lucky.
[Reply]
Page 196 of 343
« First < 96146186192193194195196 197198199200206246296 > Last »
Up