View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 195 of 343
« First < 95145185191192193194195 196197198199205245295 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:22 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
To me he’s been below average but not a “we have to get him off the field bc Patrick is gonna get hurt” kinda bad.

It’s mainly cost. It wouldn’t be anywhere near as bad if he was not costing this much. Regardless of that there aren’t many options.

Olumuyiwa Fashanu-top 10 projection
Peter Skoronski-top 10 projection
Paris Johnson Jr.-top 15 projection
Broderick Jones
Matthew Bergeron

That’s you first look at the draft first rd prospects. Who knows if all of them are LT’s
So you sign a cheaper vet and draft a developmental guy.

You simply cannot bring back OBJ at his current salary demands. It cannot happen. Good teams don't make moves like that.
[Reply]
TEX 09:23 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The one thing I disagree with is tagging him again.

He's already tagged at the average of the top 5 salaries at his position. Tagging him again increases that salary, which is fully guaranteed, by 20%.

At the price tag, given his current level of play, he's untradeable.

Our best option is probably letting him walk and taking the comp pick.
Exactly.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:24 AM 10-05-2022
The funny thing is, I'd say those are fairly accurate.
They're better than PFFs.

I'd vacillate a bit more than he did, but I'm not far removed from that.

Presuming 70 to be average starting caliber, 80 being a good starter, 90 being a great starter, i'd go with:

And I'd say the reason he got that 60 last week is game script allowing him to do mostly run blocking. If that game script ended up with the need to pass, he'd have been in far worse shape.

So that averages out to about a 60. Which would be a quality bench player to poor starter. I feel like that's an okay representation of how he's played this year.
[Reply]
O.city 09:24 AM 10-05-2022
The good news is we know he wont' get a market setting deal here, they're already shown they won't give that to him.

So he either signs for something all parties are comfortable with or he plays elsewhere.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:27 AM 10-05-2022
The fact that it COULD be worse is not justification for remaining bad. It just isn't.

A change is necessary. It may or may not end up being better but it's time.
It is in-season.

But I agree - it's no justification for giving the guy the long-term deal he's asking for. And his pride won't allow him to accept less than what we offered last season without testing the market.

But the die is cast on this one for 2022 and yeah, 'it could be worse' is pretty much the best we can cling to.
[Reply]
TEX 09:28 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
“We can’t do any worse”

Uh yes. Yes we can. We can do A LOT worse. It’s like some of you forgot about the SB in Tampa Bay where Remmers played LT. You also forgot when Erving played LT for awhile and Patrick was constantly getting hit.

Erving was so terrible he got Mitchell Schwartz hurt.

Brown Jr has been below average but he’s not Jordan Black level bad. It can be a lot worse
None of those turds were the main plan. Can't remember if Black was or not. But Veach and Reid won't put some JAG there as their main plan. They're stick this year probably, but next year any competent LT would be better than OBJ from a playing perspective and certainly from a cost one.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:29 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It is in-season.

But I agree - it's no justification for giving the guy the long-term deal he's asking for. And his pride won't allow him to accept less than what we offered last season without testing the market.

But the die is cast on this one for 2022 and yeah, 'it could be worse' is pretty much the best we can cling to.
I get it. We all have times where we wish for things we can't have.

I'd love to replace him now but the reality of the discussion is that it's about next year. For this year, the die is cast.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:34 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by TEX:
None of those turds were the main plan. Can't remember if Black was or not. But Veach and Reid won't put some JAG there as their main plan. They're stick this year probably, but next year any competent LT would be better than OBJ from a playing perspective and certainly from a cost one.
This is the 'we just need a franchise QB' argument we spent 20 years having, though.

They don't make a store you can go to and just pick one of those up. There's a pretty scarce supply of 'competent LTs'. And if you're gonna start defining them to include a broader sample, that sample is going to include Orlando Brown.

I mean we act like the guy would go to the FA market and get a 2 year, $12 million deal. If the Chiefs let him walk, he's GONNA get probably $16-18 million in AAV, probably something like $50 million guaranteed at signing. He frustrates the shit out of us because he's a poor fit here, but to the NFL writ large, Orlando Brown IS a 'competent LT'

Now again, I won't argue with you from a cost standpoint - he's not gonna get you a good ROI going forward and I think we're far enough down the road with him to realize that.

But let's not act like replacing him and getting an upgrade is a foregone conclusion either. It might not work out. I'd still do it, but it would absolutely end up being the team's biggest red flag and question mark heading into the 2023 season.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:36 AM 10-05-2022
This is the 'we just need a franchise QB' argument we spent 20 years having, though.

They don't make a store you can go to and just pick one of those up. There's a pretty scarce supply of 'competent LTs'. And if you're gonna start defining them to include a broader sample, that sample is going to include Orlando Brown.

I mean we act like the guy would go to the FA market and get a 2 year, $12 million deal. If the Chiefs let him walk, he's GONNA get probably $16-18 million in AAV, probably something like $50 million guaranteed at signing. He frustrates the shit out of us because he's a poor fit here, but to the NFL writ large, Orlando Brown IS a 'competent LT'

Now again, I won't argue with you from a cost standpoint - he's not gonna get you a good ROI going forward and I think we're far enough down the road with him to realize that.

But let's not act like replacing him and getting an upgrade is a foregone conclusion either. It might not work out. I'd still do it, but it would absolutely end up being the team's biggest red flag and question mark heading into the 2023 season.
This is about as close to how I feel about it as you can get.
[Reply]
DRM08 09:39 AM 10-05-2022

The problem is he won't accept the $18M number until it becomes clear no teams will pay him more than that. He's demanding $25M from the Chiefs. They don't have the luxury of other teams choosing to pass on him and drive his value down to that $18M number you mentioned. They either pay him the $25M or let him walk. That's a shitty spot for KC.
[Reply]
O.city 09:41 AM 10-05-2022
IF that's the options DRM08, you let him walk.
[Reply]
DRM08 09:45 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
IF that's the options DRM08, you let him walk.
Agreed. If you let Tyreek walk because he demanded too much money, you gotta let Orlando walk as well if he is refusing to budge on his insane demands.
[Reply]
O.city 09:45 AM 10-05-2022
You'll have to start thinking outside the box on the situation. Moneyball it if you have to but I just don't get the vibe that this front office wants to do that at the LT spot.

Maybe you take a flyer on a guy like Dillard getting it together or something, but I'd imagine it's either trade for an established guy or trade up in the draft kinda thing.
[Reply]
JPH83 09:51 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by DRM08:
The problem is he won't accept the $18M number until it becomes clear no teams will pay him more than that. He's demanding $25M from the Chiefs. They don't have the luxury of other teams choosing to pass on him and drive his value down to that $18M number you mentioned. They either pay him the $25M or let him walk. That's a shitty spot for KC.
I think they just have to gut it up. It's less than ideal having an LT question next year but I don't think we can overpay for average. I get "average LT" has more value than "average RB", but there's obviously a cost in what you can't do elsewhere. Perhaps I'm just overly affected by the Clark contract, I just never want to see that sort of money going out the door multiple years to anything but domination.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:52 AM 10-05-2022
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Correct.

It would have to be a Mathieu situation. And make no mistake, while I was absolutely ready to torch that bridge, I'd be surprised if the Chiefs were.

They let Mathieu walk and immediately hit the market looking for replacements. And when one came along at the price point they were comfortable with, they jumped.

Had Mathieu been the guy that hit that price point first, I think they might have bit. Or had there not been someone that got there for them and Mathieu got reasonable later in the FA signing period, they'd have brought him back.

That's how they'll have to approach the Brown situation. He'll have to hit the market and they'll see if they can find a better investment. If not and OBJ swallows his pride, he could still return.
[Reply]
Page 195 of 343
« First < 95145185191192193194195 196197198199205245295 > Last »
Up