ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 190 of 333
« First < 90140180186187188189190 191192193194200240290 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 12:02 AM 01-01-2023

2023 – A new beginning for the Royals. Matt Quatraro era begins. A year to see which of our young players will make up the core going forward. Can Bobby Witt Jr become a superstar SS or will go to the hot corner? Will Brady Singer take the next step forward? Will Salvy be Salvy? Will Big Vin or Pratto take first base? Will they find a position for MJ? Who else emerges from the youth movement? Not to mention the development of the new downtown stadium.

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Jordan Lyles, RHP
Ryan Yarbrough, LHP
Josh Taylor, LHP
Aroldis Chapman, LHP

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Gavin Cross, OF
2. Cayden Wallace, 3B
3. Drew Waters, OF
4. Ben Kudrna, RHP
5. Frank Mozzicato, LHP
6. Maikel Garcia, SS
7. Tyler Gentry, OF
8. Nick Loftin, OF/3B
9. Angel Zerpa, LHP
10. Carter Jensen, C
[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:47 PM 06-30-2023
Also, Cole Ragans is 25 with a 38.5% strikeout rate in Triple-A this year. Most likely he's just a mediocre lefty with command issues, but he's not a total lost cause. His outpitch is a changeup too, not the wipe out pitch in vogue these days.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 11:28 PM 06-30-2023

Cayden Wallace hit a baseball through the Ferris Wheel for his 8th homer of the year. pic.twitter.com/lrAtZ24WUk

— Preston Farr (@royalsminors) June 30, 2023

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:18 AM 07-01-2023
Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ:
This is a bizarre take. So we can make maybe the best NFL player of all time happy and proud of the city he plays in but an NBA star is a bridge too far? With a university 30 mins away that has the best home court in all of college basketball? Multiple national titles with McDonald's all Americans? Sells out every game? I realize you cheer for Mizzou and don't understand success in college athletics but don't project your insecurities to a potential NBA franchise.

How are teams in Oklahoma City and Charlotte and New Orleans and Sacramento and Indianapolis and Salt Lake and Portland doing in the modern NBA landscape at retaining their own stars and building true championship caliber rosters?

It’s not enough to hit on a star and be able to keep them. You have to be able to do that and attract other stars around them.

College sports has nothing to do with my take and has little bearing here. kU’s success as a basketball program is great and all, but it’s not going to have any impact on players’ desire to come to the KC market.

My trepidation about the NBA in this market is just that the landscape is skewed so far in favor of big markets it is a really fine needle to thread to build a champion.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 11:25 AM 07-01-2023

Here’s some footage of newly acquired OF Roni Cabrera, courtesy of JDB Baseball (https://t.co/24jOA7BZEj)
6-1 frame, probably an average arm with good speed. He’s 5 for 5 on SB through 15 games so far. Looks more like line drive gap power than stuff that’ll clear fences, for now. pic.twitter.com/RmxAG2mX7H

— Preston Farr (@royalsminors) July 1, 2023

[Reply]
BWillie 11:27 AM 07-01-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
How are teams in Oklahoma City and Charlotte and New Orleans and Sacramento and Indianapolis and Salt Lake and Portland doing in the modern NBA landscape at retaining their own stars and building true championship caliber rosters?

It’s not enough to hit on a star and be able to keep them. You have to be able to do that and attract other stars around them.

College sports has nothing to do with my take and has little bearing here. kU’s success as a basketball program is great and all, but it’s not going to have any impact on players’ desire to come to the KC market.

My trepidation about the NBA in this market is just that the landscape is skewed so far in favor of big markets it is a really fine needle to thread to build a champion.
OKC about to blow up. SGA did resign. I think the best way to make it so players don't jump ship is when their rookie contract is up, allow the team that drafted you to be able to offer you the MOST MONEY possible even if it's only 5-10M more.

To me, the biggest offender is MLB which doesn't have a true salary cap. It's virtually impossible to keep guys in MLB if they get good. NY teams spend 300-350M. Oakland spends 60M. If you have that big of a difference in spending you have already failed as a league. In the NBA everyone pretty much is spending 125M to 175M who is actually trying to compete regardless of market size.
[Reply]
tk13 12:39 PM 07-01-2023

You basically have to find someone like Giannis who you took a chance on long before they were great and even that's a bit of luck because Giannis has a Mahomes-like attitude about everything where he puts the team in front of his ego. Even though MLB is really unbalanced you still probably have more of a chance than you do in the NBA. There just aren't a lot of upsets and you have to have that kind of elite superstar or you have zero chance.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 12:41 PM 07-01-2023
Baseball playoffs is getting hot at the right time, with mainly pitching.
NBA playoffs is superstar driven.
NFL playoffs in franchise QB driven.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:18 PM 07-01-2023

I'm as big of a KU homer as you're going to find, but I agree the NBA market is a different beast. The fact the closest NBA team to Kentucky is pushing on 3 hours away, I just think you need a different calculus for the NBA that I'm not sure you can find in KC.

(But, KC's gonna be in the conversation now thanks to Patrick, so you never know).
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:07 PM 07-01-2023
Originally Posted by BWillie:
OKC about to blow up. SGA did resign. I think the best way to make it so players don't jump ship is when their rookie contract is up, allow the team that drafted you to be able to offer you the MOST MONEY possible even if it's only 5-10M more.

To me, the biggest offender is MLB which doesn't have a true salary cap. It's virtually impossible to keep guys in MLB if they get good. NY teams spend 300-350M. Oakland spends 60M. If you have that big of a difference in spending you have already failed as a league. In the NBA everyone pretty much is spending 125M to 175M who is actually trying to compete regardless of market size.
Right. That helps you keep the ONE guy. But it is pretty hard to build to a championship level just through drafting and smart, second-tier FA pickups. You need that second and sometimes third big-ticket player to really have a chance.

All I'm saying. When similar markets in the middle of the country struggle so much, it makes me question the viability in KC.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:12 PM 07-01-2023
Sure would be nice to see Lynch improve his strikeout rate
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:57 PM 07-01-2023
Clearly the Royals just need to play on national TV.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 09:04 PM 07-01-2023
And Taylor Clarke blows
[Reply]
Ocotillo 04:42 AM 07-02-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
And Taylor Clarke blows
What's funny is that Fangraphs had Taylor Clarke listed as the closer in waiting earlier in the week once Scott Barlow and Aroldis Chapman were both traded.

Now they list Carlos Hernandez as next in line, followed by Amir Garrett.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 04:50 AM 07-02-2023
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Sure would be nice to see Lynch improve his strikeout rate
Enhancing the slider is the key to this happening for Lynch.
[Reply]
cabletech94 08:56 AM 07-02-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Clearly the Royals just need to play on national TV.
I laughed entirely too loud at this. Thank you.
[Reply]
Page 190 of 333
« First < 90140180186187188189190 191192193194200240290 > Last »
Up