ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 21
« First < 91516171819 2021 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Florio: Mahomes to be the highest paid QB in football again soon
Hammock Parties 10:30 AM 05-09-2023

Expect Patrick Mahomes to once again be the highest-paid player in football on an APY basis, before Week One. https://t.co/k2dDcjahE8

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) May 9, 2023

Originally Posted by :
When Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes signed his current 12-year contract three years ago, he nudged the bar for the highest average per year (APY) by roughly $10 million, to $45 million annually.

Now, with Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson at $52 million per year, Mahomes has fallen $7 million per year behind the highest-paid player in the sport.

Chiefs G.M. Brett Veach already has vowed to address the Mahomes deal after more quarterback contracts are completed. While Veach didn’t delve into any specifics, here’s what reasonably should be expected, based on our conversations with folks aware of the dynamics of the situation.

Expect Mahomes, before the season begins, to once again be the highest-paid player in league history.

The details will be interesting, and subject to differing interpretations. Because Mahomes has nine years left on his current contract, a new-money APY in excess of $52 million per year would be obtained simply by tacking three years and a penny more than $156 million on the back end of the existing deal.

The real question will become the value of the contract from the moment it’s signed. Also relevant to the analysis will be the full guarantee at signing, and the cash flow in the first three years of the revised deal.

In 2020, Mahomes swapped a high APY and a complicated but lucrative guarantee structure for cash flow in the years that were most likely to be affected by the pandemic. Now that those days have come and gone, the cash flow can be boosted in the early years of a revised deal.

Whether big-picture proclamations or devilish details, a new deal is coming for Mahomes, sooner than later. He has more than earned it — and with each new quarterback deal that is done, his own situation becomes more glaring. Look for that to at least be partially rectified in the coming weeks or months.

Ultimately, Mahomes is trying to strike the balance of fair compensation with leaving enough cash behind to have a team that lets him pursue championships and, ultimately, to chase Tom Brady’s all-time record of seven championships. Mahomes needs five to tie, six to win.

While not yet a real threat to Brady, Mahomes isn’t far from making things interesting. And that could be enough to get Brady interested in trying to get to No. 8 before it’s all said and done, just in case.

[Reply]
Marcellus 02:31 PM 07-21-2023
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
Breaking news: Fans favor team wins over market breaking contracts for individual players.
He acts like KC is sitting around with $20MM in cap room to start every season.
[Reply]
Kiimo 02:32 PM 07-21-2023
Florio staked his reputation on making predictions about the Chiefs that didn't come true. He's emotionally compromised and can't make rational decisions and the Chiefs fans attacking him on Twitter are ruthless.

This is how a professional journalist turns into a bush league troll like that one guy in Denver that used to work at 810
[Reply]
Stewie 02:33 PM 07-21-2023
Florio is barking up this tree again? I guess he needs attention because he quit talking when Veach said all sides are communicating regarding contract status.
[Reply]
raybec 4 02:33 PM 07-21-2023
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Okay, that's it.

How do I get on Florio's dumbass little show? Do I e-mail? Use twatter?

I'm gonna rip his asshole a new one.

Is this your way of saying you want to be a trainer for the Jags?
[Reply]
LoneWolf 02:36 PM 07-21-2023
Fuck this helmet haired little bitch.
[Reply]
Kiimo 02:37 PM 07-21-2023
Giving an asshole a new asshole is like a mental paradox. Like dividing by zero
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 03:15 PM 07-21-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
:-)

Gee, Florio, I can't imagine why fans rooting for a team in a salary cap sport would prefer players not always being given new and more expensive deals!

Furthermore, why should fans care? Fans don't receive a cut of the income from a salary increase. If hack writers want to white knight for players, so be it. But don't condemn fans for refusing to do so.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 04:15 PM 07-21-2023
Originally Posted by MarkDavis'Haircut:
Gee, Florio, I can't imagine why fans rooting for a team in a salary cap sport would prefer players not always being given new and more expensive deals!

Furthermore, why should fans care? Fans don't receive a cut of the income from a salary increase. If hack writers want to white knight for players, so be it. But don't condemn fans for refusing to do so.
His POV is treading perilously close to outright calling players stupid for exchanging happiness with winning for the 5% extra they may get being on a crap team. Why he thinks the players are somehow not intelligent or aware that they’re making this choice is just bizarre at this point.

Also, I don’t remember him having a problem when Brady did the same thing.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 05:40 PM 07-21-2023
Ever seen Florio’s kid on NFLN? That little buck-toothed chromosome-missing mutant belongs in the sequel to Deliverance. Nepotism at its finest.

They used to match him up against Adam Rank in a DFS contest on the Thursday edition of NFL Fantasy Live and he lost the first 11 straight weeks, which is almost mathematically impossible. It was so humiliating they had to pull him off the segment. He never won.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:45 PM 07-21-2023
He cares so much about if Mahomes makes 800M or 900M yet where is his compassion for the guy shoveling shit for $9 an hour. I think I'd focus my energy on the latter.
[Reply]
RedinTexas 05:56 PM 07-21-2023
How many veterans have signed "team friendly" contracts? Isn't that taking advantage of them when they have so little playing time left to make bank?

How many times have free agents signed with a team to chase a ring and taken less money than they could have taken elsewhere? Isn't that wrong?

How many times has a free agent taken less money to play in the city of his choice? Should players be required to sign with whomever offers the most?

Why are these "problems" only problems when it is a team like the Chiefs that is receiving the benefit? Why wasn't it a problem when the Patriots were doing it? Why were the OT rules just fine when the Patriots beat the Chiefs in the AFC championship game, but suddenly they became a huge problem when the Chiefs beat the Bills in almost identical circumstances just 3 years later?

I'd bet the farm that Florio would have no problem at all with Mahomes' contract if Patrick was playing for the Giants or some other big market team on the east coast.

Fuck You Florio.
[Reply]
notorious 05:58 PM 07-21-2023
It's none of his fucking business.

Hopefully the next cock he sucks goes through the back of his skull.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:17 PM 07-21-2023
JFC just look at this clown:

I said the Mahomes deal was not good enough the moment it was signed.

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) July 21, 2023

[Reply]
ToxSocks 06:28 PM 07-21-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:

That is true though. He has been bitching about it since the moment it was signed.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 06:28 PM 07-21-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:

Literally everyone was ridiculing the Chiefs for that contract.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 21
« First < 91516171819 2021 >
Up