ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 189 of 727
« First < 89139179185186187188189 190191192193199239289689 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
Saul Good 08:37 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
Bama's current cross-rival is Tennesee. There has been some talk that the league would preserve both the Bama-Tennessee and Bama-Auburn rivalry by moving to a 2 cross-division rivalry system and a 9-game league schedule.

The current cross-division rivalries are:
Florida-LSU
Tennessee-Alabama
South Carolina-Arkansas
Georgia-Auburn
Kentucky-Miss. St.
Vandy-Ole Miss.
That seems unlikely. It would be hard to justify shaking up the schedule of the entire conference that much just to preserve one game every 2 years. Bama Tenn really isn't the Iron Bowl, OU/Texas, or Michigan/Ohio State. It's a cool rivalry, but I can't imagine it being a deal-breaker.
[Reply]
Saul Good 08:39 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
Mizzou to the East makes way more sense for the SEC.
It just makes no sense based on geography.
[Reply]
HolyHandgernade 08:39 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by Crush:
Notre Dame has already stated that it would join the ACC if it was forced to join a conference.
Really? I don't remember reading that. Can you link that for me?
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:41 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
That seems unlikely. It would be hard to justify shaking up the schedule of the entire conference that much just to preserve one game every 2 years. Bama Tenn really isn't the Iron Bowl, OU/Texas, or Michigan/Ohio State. It's a cool rivalry, but I can't imagine it being a deal-breaker.
3rd Saturday in October is a pretty big thing in South.
[Reply]
Bambi 08:41 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by Carls20yearplan:

:-):-):-):-)
awwwww..... don't be mean
[Reply]
Reaper16 08:42 PM 10-04-2011
To you, on the outside, it might be just a cool rivalry. It's a huge fucking deal to those fanbases, though. Huge.
[Reply]
Saul Good 08:44 PM 10-04-2011
To you, on the outside, it might be just a cool rivalry. It's a huge fucking deal to those fanbases, though. Huge.
So was Nebraska/Oklahoma...(maybe that's a bad example).
[Reply]
Saul Good 08:46 PM 10-04-2011
For the record, I will still pull for the Big XII teams to do well. Nebraska fans seem to root against them, but I hope the league does well. The Corndogs can DIAF, though.
[Reply]
Reaper16 08:47 PM 10-04-2011
So was Nebraska/Oklahoma...(maybe that's a bad example).
Poor comparison. Nebraska left to another conference to better themselves. The Bama/UT rivalry would be broken up just because of some half-Yankee school that those fanbases don't really want in the conference anyway entering the conference.
[Reply]
Saul Good 08:50 PM 10-04-2011
Poor comparison. Nebraska left to another conference to better themselves.
It was a joke, but Nebraska was pissed about the formation of the Big XII because they lost the rivalry game with Oklahoma every other year. That was 15 years before they went to the B1G.

In that regard, it was an apt comparison. The fact that they eventually flipped the conference the bird and stated that as one of their grievances made it humorous.
[Reply]
Crush 08:52 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade:
Really? I don't remember reading that. Can you link that for me?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...er-sources-say

According to a source close to Notre Dame, the Irish's first choice is to remain as an independent in football and stay in the Big East in all other sports.

If the Irish decide they can't remain as a football independent then the choice would be to pursue the ACC before the Big Ten.
[Reply]
Reaper16 08:54 PM 10-04-2011
It was a joke, but Nebraska was pissed about the formation of the Big XII because they lost the rivalry game with Oklahoma every other year. That was 15 years before they went to the B1G.

In that regard, it was an apt comparison. The fact that they eventually flipped the conference the bird and stated that as one of their grievances made it humorous.
My bad, I misunderstood you.
[Reply]
Saul Good 08:56 PM 10-04-2011
My bad, I misunderstood you.
I should stick to fart jokes and slapping billay around.
[Reply]
Reaper16 08:59 PM 10-04-2011
I should stick to fart jokes and slapping billay around.
Now that's an apt comparison to the Alabama/Tennessee rivalry.
[Reply]
HolyHandgernade 09:00 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by Crush:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...er-sources-say

According to a source close to Notre Dame, the Irish's first choice is to remain as an independent in football and stay in the Big East in all other sports.

If the Irish decide they can't remain as a football independent then the choice would be to pursue the ACC before the Big Ten.
That's a little different than "Notre Dame has already said..."
[Reply]
Page 189 of 727
« First < 89139179185186187188189 190191192193199239289689 > Last »
Up