ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 184 of 488
« First < 84134174180181182183184 185186187188194234284 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2022 Free Agency Megathread****
The Franchise 10:55 AM 03-13-2022
Legal tampering period begins tomorrow, March 14th. Throw all of your rumors and moves in here.

Obviously, for the people who hate mega threads, feel free to create a new thread for larger moves and anything Chiefs.

DANIEL SORENSEN IS NO LONGER ON THIS TEAM!
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 11:54 PM 03-17-2022
Originally Posted by bigjosh:
Also, schefter just posted that the rams may potentially deal woods.

Jamison crowder has my interest as well.
I'm not too high on Woods, I wonder what the price is?

Definitely not Crowder.
[Reply]
BossChief 11:55 PM 03-17-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
8.7 career yards per target.

Even in the year where he was REALLY a problem with his drops (2020) and had 7 against only 33 catches, he went for 11 yards/target with 6 scores, four of which were over 45 yards. 6 scores on 63 targets seems pretty damn good to me.

My point is exactly that - I don't care if he's a possession receiver. Would I like to have a guy that can run a 4.4 and never drops a ball? Sure - those cost about $17 million if you're lucky.

But if my choice is the guy that runs a 4.65 and will drop 5 balls over 100 targets and net 7 yards/target or a guy that runs a 4.40 and will drop 10 balls over 60 targets and net 9 yards/target while putting the defensive backfield in uncomfortable decision scenarios, I'm taking the latter 100% of the time.

It's not even a close question.

You want to get teams out of this goddamn Cover 2, the answer is NOT to play the slice. It's to put someone out there that can force that FS into making uncomfortable decisions.
I think we disagree wholly on how to counter punch the 2 deep safety looks we’ve gotten from well prepared defenses.

The way to attack them is to attack the intermediate zones with guys that know how to find the soft spots with crisp routes and to run the damn ball. Things that FORCE them to play those safeties closer to the line as a setup for guys like Hill, Hardman and even Kelce to get their deep shots. We just didn’t have the Wars that Mahomes trusted to do that. Later in the year, he started trusting Pringle and Hardman more, but it was always lacking.

It’s why I am still disappointed we didn’t get a deal done with Robinson. He could have made this offense scary good right away in week one. I’m kinda wondering who can come right into this system and produce right away like that that’s left.
[Reply]
Wilson8 12:07 AM 03-18-2022
DJ makes a good case for Marquez Valdes-Scantling, but I'm still not buying bringing him in for the Chiefs.

It will be interesting to see if Green Bay Packers makes a push to try and bring him back to the pack.

"Oh, the agony of not having another WR!"

"Oh, the agony when Marquez Valdes-Scantling doesn't make the catch!"
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:10 AM 03-18-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I think we disagree wholly on how to counter punch the 2 deep safety looks we’ve gotten from well prepared defenses.

The way to attack them is to attack the intermediate zones with guys that know how to find the soft spots with crisp routes and to run the damn ball. Things that FORCE them to play those safeties closer to the line as a setup for guys like Hill, Hardman and even Kelce to get their deep shots. We just didn’t have the Wars that Mahomes trusted to do that. Later in the year, he started trusting Pringle and Hardman more, but it was always lacking.

It’s why I am still disappointed we didn’t get a deal done with Robinson. He could have made this offense scary good right away in week one. I’m kinda wondering who can come right into this system and produce right away like that that’s left.
And for my entire football watching life I would have agreed with you.

Then I saw how teams defended the 2021 Chiefs - they did. not. care.

It's what made CEH largely ineffective even when we gave him the ball. Give him the ball 20 damn times - they didn't care. They weren't going to come up. Let him have 5 - Hill and Kelce are so stinking good that they're STILL not coming downhill. They'll give up that 5 and wait for you to make a mistake before they come downhill and let Hill/Kelce gouge them for 30.

Throw underneath all day - you will not pull those safeties up. Because for about 8 weeks we DID over the latter part of the season and no, they weren't drawing safeties up on us. They were staying in the deep shells. They don't give a rip. They simply won't.

Moreover, I conceded that I'd rather have a do-everything X who can get deep AND run pristine routes over the middle. Of course that's preferable. But you CANNOT spend $16 million on Robinson, $15 million on Kelce, $20+ million on Hill, $20+ million on OBJr and $15 million on Thuney. You've dropped $85+ million on 5 players and haven't paid for your QB yet. That's simply not tenable.

So you have $5 million to spend on your WR2 - tell me what Landry or JuJu are going to do to convince these guys to pull their safeties down. We saw last year - they simply don't care. There isn't a universe where getting beat at 6 yards/pop by a plodding possession WR is going to be less of a worry for teams than getting torched over the top.

Conventionally I absolutely agree with you. But never in a million years did I expect what I saw from teams against this Chiefs team in 2021. I don't think Veach or Reid expected it either or they'd have never drafted CEH. Teams willingness to completely sell out against us because they simply didn't care if we took that short stuff is completely unprecedented. I've never seen anything like it and I said so at the time.

You can't attack what teams are doing against this squad like you would what they're doing against teams that don't have Hill and Kelce. Those 2 are just too damn good to scare teams with guys like Landry as a 'counter'. He'll never begin to tilt the scale in his direction.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:12 AM 03-18-2022
Originally Posted by Wilson8:
DJ makes a good case for Marquez Valdes-Scantling, but I'm still not buying bringing him in for the Chiefs.

It will be interesting to see if Green Bay Packers makes a push to try and bring him back to the pack.

"Oh, the agony of not having another WR!"

"Oh, the agony when Marquez Valdes-Scantling doesn't make the catch!"
He's just my example. I'm not married to him.

I AM married to someone with speed and a large enough catch radius to be able to put safeties in an impossible situation. If that's nothing more than praying that Jalen Tolbert or Alec Pierce can come in out of the 3rd round and hit the ground running, so be it.

But I don't want to see money burned on a slower or smaller possession style WR that doesn't present the kind of problems that a bigger, faster option would.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:24 AM 03-18-2022
Who’d be perfect if he could actually get on the field between suspensions and injuries - Will Fuller.

Man that guy would do SERIOUS damage as the X here.
[Reply]
Wilson8 12:28 AM 03-18-2022
I thought D.J. Chark might be a used for the purpose that you describe (If he can stay healthy)

The contract that the Lions gave him was interesting. It kind of looks like a 1 year, $10 M deal but Lions have $4M for 2022 and then $6M in the void year of 2023.

Eventually it all has to get paid. They just delay $6 M for an extra year.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 05:29 AM 03-18-2022
So here is a list of the top wideouts left.

Julio
OBJ
Aj Green
Juju
Landry
Watkins
MVS
Fuller
Washington
Pascal

1. Julio, Watkins, Fuller and Odell would be Injury risks. But getting one of them and drafting A receiver early could a smart move.

2. Aj Green had 848 yards playing alongside Hopkins and Ertz..plus a good running good that had a lot of carries.

3. Washington is only 25 and has had to play with bad QB's over the last two years.

4. Zach Pascal has had his injuries too but has been sneakily productive when he has a run of games and let's be honest his qb's have been poor aswell.

5. Juju and Landry are big names but I'm just not sure slot guys like them would make a drastic difference in our offense tbh.
[Reply]
Coogs 05:44 AM 03-18-2022
I heard an interesting discussion on the way home from work a couple of days ago on NFL Radio Moving the Chains show. They were talking about how all of the defenses now are being built to combat the speed of offenses, and that the counter to this is that the 225+ pound RB's (give or take a few pounds. I can't recall the exact number they stated, but big RB's) are starting to have a field day because most of the back 7 defenders are not built to take the punishment those type of RB's deal out. They had some stats from the past season to back up their hypothesis.

Not sure if there is this type of back in the draft to stick behind out offensive line, but the argument they put forth does make sense.
[Reply]
TEX 05:48 AM 03-18-2022
Who’d be perfect if he could actually get on the field between suspensions and injuries - Will Fuller.

I get the attraction, but just not worth it. Has nagging injuries all the time.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 05:52 AM 03-18-2022

Yes but man, he makes Sammy Watkins look like iron man in comparison.

Dude's body just Fallin apart.
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 06:20 AM 03-18-2022
Logan Ryan to the Bucs who keep loading their roster.
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 06:34 AM 03-18-2022
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
Logan Ryan to the Bucs who keep loading their roster.
Now this is where Blacktop comes in to tell us how the jesuits in the NFL offices are pushing all the talent into the AFC, so that Brady can have the clearest path to the SB in his triumphant return and then he will dismantle one of the AFC 'super teams'.
[Reply]
threebag 06:41 AM 03-18-2022
So, is Mayfield going to go to Seattle?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 06:44 AM 03-18-2022
Originally Posted by Coogs:
I heard an interesting discussion on the way home from work a couple of days ago on NFL Radio Moving the Chains show. They were talking about how all of the defenses now are being built to combat the speed of offenses, and that the counter to this is that the 225+ pound RB's (give or take a few pounds. I can't recall the exact number they stated, but big RB's) are starting to have a field day because most of the back 7 defenders are not built to take the punishment those type of RB's deal out. They had some stats from the past season to back up their hypothesis.

Not sure if there is this type of back in the draft to stick behind out offensive line, but the argument they put forth does make sense.
It was probably that fossil Gil Brandt who hasn’t said anything intelligent, insightful or accurate in 20 years.
[Reply]
Page 184 of 488
« First < 84134174180181182183184 185186187188194234284 > Last »
Up