ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 34
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2020(1) Tokyo Olympics Thread****
Pablo 06:45 PM 07-23-2021
Opening ceremony happening now. Consider this your repository for all things olympics.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:39 PM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Yea, that's a real bad analogy. Can you imagine pulling Mahomes out of a game?
It would be more like Mahomes pulling himself.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:39 PM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by theoldcoach:
Did anyone see the play that the USA left fielder made in the 7th inning of the gold medal softball game today?

Down 2-0 with 2 outs in the top of the 7th she made a spectacular catch over the wall in left field. It robbed the Japanese hitter of a 2 run homer and kept the US hopes alive with one final at bat.

It was a play worthy of the best of MLB outfielders.

As I have stated before, I am too stupid to figure out how to post videos or pictures on this forum. I am 75 years old and apparently am too ****ing dumb and too old to figure it out at this point.

But suffice it to say……….she made a simply spectacular catch!
Agreed. Awesome catch.

What a catch, @_janiereed. 🤯 #TokyoOlympicspic.twitter.com/7u0PgI2Gsz

— Team USA (@TeamUSA) July 27, 2021

[Reply]
Buehler445 08:14 PM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
You're one of my favorite people on here, but I don't think you're qualified to judge her if you don't even know who Larry Nassar is and what he did to **hundreds** of girls. And how USA Gymnastics - which she represents - went to great lengths to ignore it and cover it up which only meant more and more abuse.

So, let's just say you have a job where you need to be flawless in everything you do. If you're a split second slow, it could mean serious injury or paralysis. You've been doing this your entire life. You hoped it would be over in 2020 but it was delayed a year. You pushed through it. But you've also felt conflicted representing an organization which exploited you and others for its own gain. But you pressed on believing you could do it, under the world's most powerful microscope, to live up to what everyone thought you should be. For your country.

The girl was molested by a team doctor. As a fucking child. You now know you were one of hundreds of gymnasts who suffered the same fate. And the adults who were supposed to protect you and all of your friends hide in the shadows? But enjoy the accolades and benefit from trappings of your success?

And yet you're supposed to represent them proudly? And just brush it off?

Pretty easy to see how she could reach a breaking point easily. And to blame her for it and act like it minimizes her accomplishments? Her going out there again to try to continue to prove herself as the greatest ever in her sport is so many million miles beyond what any of us are able to comprehend.

And for those comparing her to Mahomes? Saying there's no precedent? Completely ridiculous. Mahomes will never, ever need to be as perfect in every motion as Simon Biles is to avoid catastrophic injury. He might get into a terrible mental space and the worst thing that happens to him is a 1 TD/4 INT game. Mike Trout might go 0-20. Jordan once went 2/22. Tiger might, be, well, what he became when he hit his breaking point.

Good for Simon Biles for being honest about it and not half-assing things. Being honest about mental health is probably a lot more inspiring to people who need it than anything else she could've done in these games.
There’s a lot here. And damn if the last thing I want to do tonight is defend my criticism of marketing. But here goes.

1. I know who Larry Nassar is. I didn’t know Biles was involved. I don’t follow gymnastics. Moreover I have a 7 year old daughter who likes gymnastics (she’s horrible at it but nonetheless) so I’m not just some asshole midnight radio caller dismissing everything that has happened to her.

2. I’m open to the idea of a mental breakdown. It’s just a poor look when you just got done telling everybody you’re the goat. And I’m a lot closer to this than you might think too. I work 3600 hours a year in the second most dangerous industry in the nation. I’m pretty safe, safer than most guys, but I’ve danced kn the razors edge more than I’d like to admit. It’s different, but a lot of the same concepts. But empathy on my end doesn’t really matter. All I’ve criticized her for is the goat thing. Regardless of the job, if you’re going to say shit like that and then quit it’s going to be a bad look. No matter the circumstances.

3. I fully acknowledge that the rape thing was horrible and she deserves much better. But if that stuff is really weighing in her mind heavily enough to be a major impact on her thinking she needs to quit mid-competition, why be on the team? I mean the Olympic trials weren’t that long ago (according to the wife. She follows the stuff not me), she had an out. And again, a lot of this stuff is softened substantially if she doesn’t roll out all the goat stuff.

4. I never compared her to Mahomes, Jordan or anyone else.

5. My point was always about the goat stuff. I know it’s all marketing, but the simple truth is if you’re going to lean on the marketing narrative, you have to control the imaging associated with your brand. And spouting off about being the goat (I think this is only person other than Ali, who had a far different approach who’s ever said anything at all like that). If I’m in her shoes and they want to make a funny prop hype video, I put on a fake old man beard and a cane and rip it off and do a flip or something. She didn’t need to go the goat route. Invariably if you say things like that and then quit, it’s going to look bad. Invariably.

5. This is most certainly not a hill I’m willing to die on. I’m willing to concede anything you want because I just made a damned passing comment about an athlete in a sport I don’t care about. But while I’m conceding, here is my rear guard action as I retreat.

The following things are not mutually exclusive and can all be true simultaneously with regards to her withdrawal .
A. Being raped is horrible and undoubtedly has substantial impacts on her mental health.

B. She’s in a high stress high leverage situation. There’s a reason most gymnasts don’t do 2 olympics. This undoubtedly has substantial impacts on her mental health.

C. She stuffed the whole thing up pretty bad by playing up the goat thing and then not finishing. That will never not look bad.

The hill is yours. Enjoy.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:15 PM 07-27-2021
This was so cool. First ever gold for the Philippines.

PURE EMOTION from Hidilyn Diaz as she wins the Philippines’ first Olympic gold medal in any sport ����#TokyoOlympics | @OnHerTurf | #OlympicHERstory pic.twitter.com/uZPw1B2ISk

— #TokyoOlympics (@NBCOlympics) July 26, 2021

[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:23 PM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
There’s a lot here. And damn if the last thing I want to do tonight is defend my criticism of marketing. But here goes.

1. I know who Larry Nassar is. I didn’t know Biles was involved. I don’t follow gymnastics. Moreover I have a 7 year old daughter who likes gymnastics (she’s horrible at it but nonetheless) so I’m not just some asshole midnight radio caller dismissing everything that has happened to her.

2. I’m open to the idea of a mental breakdown. It’s just a poor look when you just got done telling everybody you’re the goat. And I’m a lot closer to this than you might think too. I work 3600 hours a year in the second most dangerous industry in the nation. I’m pretty safe, safer than most guys, but I’ve danced kn the razors edge more than I’d like to admit. It’s different, but a lot of the same concepts. But empathy on my end doesn’t really matter. All I’ve criticized her for is the goat thing. Regardless of the job, if you’re going to say shit like that and then quit it’s going to be a bad look. No matter the circumstances.

3. I fully acknowledge that the rape thing was horrible and she deserves much better. But if that stuff is really weighing in her mind heavily enough to be a major impact on her thinking she needs to quit mid-competition, why be on the team? I mean the Olympic trials weren’t that long ago (according to the wife. She follows the stuff not me), she had an out. And again, a lot of this stuff is softened substantially if she doesn’t roll out all the goat stuff.

4. I never compared her to Mahomes, Jordan or anyone else.

5. My point was always about the goat stuff. I know it’s all marketing, but the simple truth is if you’re going to lean on the marketing narrative, you have to control the imaging associated with your brand. And spouting off about being the goat (I think this is only person other than Ali, who had a far different approach who’s ever said anything at all like that). If I’m in her shoes and they want to make a funny prop hype video, I put on a fake old man beard and a cane and rip it off and do a flip or something. She didn’t need to go the goat route. Invariably if you say things like that and then quit, it’s going to look bad. Invariably.

5. This is most certainly not a hill I’m willing to die on. I’m willing to concede anything you want because I just made a damned passing comment about an athlete in a sport I don’t care about. But while I’m conceding, here is my rear guard action as I retreat.

The following things are not mutually exclusive and can all be true simultaneously with regards to her withdrawal .
A. Being raped is horrible and undoubtedly has substantial impacts on her mental health.

B. She’s in a high stress high leverage situation. There’s a reason most gymnasts don’t do 2 olympics. This undoubtedly has substantial impacts on her mental health.

C. She stuffed the whole thing up pretty bad by playing up the goat thing and then not finishing. That will never not look bad.

The hill is yours. Enjoy.
You're a good man, sir.

But it's possible karma dictates that a goat will one day attack you at a traffic light. Otherwise, blue skies ahead. :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:23 PM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I get where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree that it was a bad look, it's just that I don't think that anyone could have predicted that she'd have an anxiety attack at the Olympics.
Reason 7363662527833927484 athletes always take “boring” positions on everything.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:58 PM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
You're a good man, sir.

But it's possible karma dictates that a goat will one day attack you at a traffic light. Otherwise, blue skies ahead. :-)
:-)

I hit a goat once. True story. Neighbors had one. And it would always get out. Because goats. Well, that was fine because it knew when to get out of the road…last minute but it’s fine. Well, one of the goats buddies came out with him. He uhhhh. Didn’t so much get out of the way. I blew that thing up. I got out and it’s back was broken. I felt bad. Kinda.

Buehler445 - 1
Goat - 0

:-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:21 PM 07-27-2021

[Reply]
underEJ 09:54 PM 07-27-2021
Not one of the women of USA Gymnastics owes anyone a thing after the complete disregard for their safety has been the standard for decades. And yet USA Gymnastics are still in charge while drowning in lawsuits. The USOC should have scrapped the connection and started over with anyone else. Any other sport, have at them. But not this one.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 02:14 AM 07-28-2021

Simone Biles has withdrawn from the women's individual all-around final to focus on her mental health pic.twitter.com/iBMRA8VmW3

— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) July 28, 2021

After further medical evaluation, Simone Biles has withdrawn from the final individual all-around competition. We wholeheartedly support Simone’s decision and applaud her bravery in prioritizing her well-being. Her courage shows, yet again, why she is a role model for so many. pic.twitter.com/6ILdtSQF7o

— USA Gymnastics (@USAGym) July 28, 2021

[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 02:19 AM 07-28-2021
This is on par with Boxing's Leonard vs Duran match when Roberto said "No Mas"
[Reply]
eDave 02:21 AM 07-28-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
This is on par with Boxing's Leonard vs Duran match when Roberto said "No Mas"
To be fair, he was getting his shit kicked in real bad.
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:31 AM 07-28-2021
so she got her period?
[Reply]
theoldcoach 05:15 AM 07-28-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Agreed. Awesome catch.

Thanks for posting this for me.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:35 AM 07-28-2021
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
so she got her period?
Dude. Have you been around women? It's the week before when they PMS when shit goes off the rails.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 34
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Up