ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 164 of 383
« First < 64114154160161162163164 165166167168174214264 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
TimBone 12:05 AM 04-20-2014
Has anybody tried Boulevard Terra Incognita?
[Reply]
SuperChief 02:40 AM 04-20-2014
I prefer OB's Mama's Little Yella Pils to the Dale's. Twisted Pines makes a few great beers as well. Odell makes a decent.IPA.
[Reply]
phisherman 05:48 AM 04-20-2014
Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson:
Has anybody tried Boulevard Terra Incognita?
Yep. I liked it. I need to try another soon.
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 07:47 AM 04-20-2014
Has anyone had Green Flash Palate Wrecker?
[Reply]
phisherman 08:13 AM 04-20-2014
Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin:
Yep. It's OK. I tend to get a little bored with all of the west coast IPA hop bombs lately and Palate Wrecker is right, smack dab in the middle of that territory.

However, if you like your beers high on the IBU scale and piney/thick/syrupy, it's for you!
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 09:59 AM 04-20-2014
Originally Posted by phisherman:
Yep. It's OK. I tend to get a little bored with all of the west coast IPA hop bombs lately and Palate Wrecker is right, smack dab in the middle of that territory.

However, if you like your beers high on the IBU scale and piney/thick/syrupy, it's for you!
Is it as hoppy as New Belgium Ranger?
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 10:07 AM 04-20-2014
Ugh. I'm just about at the point where I'm going to have to quit drinking.

It's become more common in the last 6 months, but no matter how much I drink, I wake up the next morning with severe sinus congestion.

I had two Modus Hoperandi last night, and can't breathe this morning. Same happened Friday night after two All-Day IPA's and last weekend after only one Dry Hopped APA from Schlafly.

Fucking horseshit.
[Reply]
Reaper16 10:30 AM 04-20-2014
Is it as hoppy as New Belgium Ranger?
It is SO MUCH HOPPIER than Ranger. Ranger isn't an agressively hoppy beer in the first place, and Palate Wrecker is called what it is for a reason.
[Reply]
Reaper16 10:31 AM 04-20-2014
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58:
Ugh. I'm just about at the point where I'm going to have to quit drinking.

It's become more common in the last 6 months, but no matter how much I drink, I wake up the next morning with severe sinus congestion.

I had two Modus Hoperandi last night, and can't breathe this morning. Same happened Friday night after two All-Day IPA's and last weekend after only one Dry Hopped APA from Schlafly.

Fucking horseshit.
Maybe you're developing an allergy to cannabinoids (i.e. hops)? Or does the congestion develop after drinking, say, whiskey also?
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 10:41 AM 04-20-2014
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
Maybe you're developing an allergy to cannabinoids (i.e. hops)? Or does the congestion develop after drinking, say, whiskey also?
Definitely still develops after wine, but I haven't had a drop of hard liquor in quite a while. Sounds like an experiment is in order.
[Reply]
Third Eye 10:59 AM 04-20-2014
I adore it, but I understand where phisherman is coming from. There was a time that the west coast hop bomb was a niche market. In recent years though, the style has become fairly over saturated. I would suggest trying it if your hoppy scale is set by Ranger. It's not even in the same ballpark.
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 12:04 PM 04-20-2014
To me, Ranger tastes like hop juice. How could it not be high on the hop scale? Why is it so damned bitter?
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:16 PM 04-20-2014
To me, Ranger tastes like hop juice. How could it not be high on the hop scale? Why is it so damned bitter?
There are tons of variables that effect bitterness and hoppiness in beer.

Types of hops used, and most importantly when they are added in the process.

Hop flavor and bitterness are really 2 different animals.

After a certain IBU level you wont tell much difference in bitterness but you certainly can in flavor.
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 12:47 PM 04-20-2014
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
There are tons of variables that effect bitterness and hoppiness in beer.

Types of hops used, and most importantly when they are added in the process.

Hop flavor and bitterness are really 2 different animals.

After a certain IBU level you wont tell much difference in bitterness but you certainly can in flavor.
Whats responsible for the bitterness we taste in Ranger?
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:45 PM 04-20-2014
Whats responsible for the bitterness we taste in Ranger?
Most likely lots of hops added early in the process. The earlier hops are added the more alpha acids are extracted. Alpha acids are bitter.

Ranger is 70 IBU which isn't really that high.

Pallet Wrecker is 100+ but its also 9.5%.

Typically hops balance alcohol content, that's why a good session IPA is hard to make though they are figuring it out.

The key is blending bitterness with flavor and alcohol content.

There are lots of way to do this and hop addition is being taken to all sorts of new ground with when they are added and how much etc.....

Its really a science in itself.
[Reply]
Page 164 of 383
« First < 64114154160161162163164 165166167168174214264 > Last »
Up