ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 162 of 333
« First < 62112152158159160161162 163164165166172212262 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 12:02 AM 01-01-2023

2023 – A new beginning for the Royals. Matt Quatraro era begins. A year to see which of our young players will make up the core going forward. Can Bobby Witt Jr become a superstar SS or will go to the hot corner? Will Brady Singer take the next step forward? Will Salvy be Salvy? Will Big Vin or Pratto take first base? Will they find a position for MJ? Who else emerges from the youth movement? Not to mention the development of the new downtown stadium.

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Jordan Lyles, RHP
Ryan Yarbrough, LHP
Josh Taylor, LHP
Aroldis Chapman, LHP

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Gavin Cross, OF
2. Cayden Wallace, 3B
3. Drew Waters, OF
4. Ben Kudrna, RHP
5. Frank Mozzicato, LHP
6. Maikel Garcia, SS
7. Tyler Gentry, OF
8. Nick Loftin, OF/3B
9. Angel Zerpa, LHP
10. Carter Jensen, C
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:31 PM 06-12-2023
I'd trade y'all Paul DeJong for him just to get that asshole off the Cardinals roster so I don't have to hear Chip and Butters give him a handjob every time he fields a routine grounder.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:34 PM 06-12-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'm being a little dramatic - I'd say half of your good prospects develop into genuine big leaguers and about half of those stay healthy enough to hit their ceiling.

So you're talking about 1 in 4 rather than 1 in 8.

But man, from Lacy, Singer, Kowar and Bubic you've GOTTA get at least a playoff caliber starter in there somewhere. A #2 at worst. You can't get a scenario where the best of that lot might be a little better than someone like Keller who who guys got as an organizational cast-off.

But it's just hard to know where to even begin. I'd say everyone in baseball should just be stealing talent from the Dodgers and Rays when it comes to organization building and then the Indians and Marlins when it comes to pitcher development.

Go poach some guys. Oh sure, there are gonna be coattail riding Pioli-like bitches in there, but that's the nice thing about a staff in baseball - there's a TON of collective wisdom. Steal lots of guys - some of them will be worth a shit.

And from an ROI standpoint, it's a HELL of a lot cheaper than torching draft and/or FA capital.
We kind of did that though. At least the manager and pitching development
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:43 PM 06-12-2023
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
We kind of did that though. At least the manager and pitching development
Aren't most of your front-office guys folks who were promoted from within? I know Picollo was. And I can guess a big ol' chunk of guys like Mitch Maier, Reggie Sanders and Mike Sweeney were. Monahan is a career Royal, pretty sure Goldberg is and I think Zumwalt is.

I'm not really talking about field personnel as much - I'm talking about the 50 guys you have behind the scenes evaluating players and creating throwing programs and all that stuff. The guys stocking the pipelines and teaching them as far away as Quad Cities.

Though i will concede that coming from Cleveland, you'd have expected Sherman to have made a little more progress towards rebuilding the pitching factory they had out there. Maybe that just takes more time...
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 03:01 PM 06-12-2023
I'd trade y'all Paul DeJong for him just to get that asshole off the Cardinals roster so I don't have to hear Chip and Butters give him a handjob every time he fields a routine grounder.
Would take Tyler O'Neil off your hands. I think he would be perfect for what the Royals need.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 03:03 PM 06-12-2023
That's an incredibly low bar to hop considering that's anything even remotely positive at this point.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 03:17 PM 06-12-2023
Though i will concede that coming from Cleveland, you'd have expected Sherman to have made a little more progress towards rebuilding the pitching factory they had out there. Maybe that just takes more time...
I think this year the plan was to see if Matheny and Eldred were the problem or do the players just suck ass. So far its looking like they just suck ass.

Bubic gets a TJ after 3 starts. So there goes his evaluation out the window. Singer's problem is he is a red ass that won't throw a 3rd pitch.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:23 PM 06-12-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
I think this year the plan was to see if Matheny and Eldred were the problem or do the players just suck ass. So far its looking like they just suck ass.

Bubic gets a TJ after 3 starts. So there goes his evaluation out the window. Singer's problem is he is a red ass that won't throw a 3rd pitch.
Yeah - Singer still thinks it's 1987 where a 94 mph sinker means you're hot shit.

Now that gets you some work in the 7th inning. Sinker/Slider when the slider is a pretty average offering won't really get you anywhere in today's game.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:31 PM 06-12-2023
Was it Keller y'all had that threw some of the funky new-age 'seam shifted wake' stuff that just scrambles brains? Like, you throw a slider, but the angle you throw it at puts it in its own 'jetwash' and the ball looks like a slider that should move a certain way but then it goes a completely different way.

It's not even a particularly devastating pitch, but hitters end up a little vapor locked by it so it can be more effective than it looks like it should be.

A lot of teams were tinkering with that a couple years back as a way for fringe stuff to play up a bit, but you hear less about it now. I'm not sure what other 'magic bullet' kind of stuff may exist to help that staff out.

As you noted - they just might not be very good.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 03:33 PM 06-12-2023
Yeah - Singer still thinks it's 1987 where a 94 mph sinker means you're hot shit.

Now that gets you some work in the 7th inning. Sinker/Slider when the slider is a pretty average offering won't really get you anywhere in today's game.
One thing last year I will give Dayton Moore credit for. When he sent Singer down to Omaha last year was you better get a third pitch or you might never get back to the majors.
[Reply]
tk13 04:31 PM 06-12-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
He's like a poor mans Jarrod Dyson.
Nah Dyson barely hit home runs at all. Blanco's got a little pop in his bat. He's been a guy who hits 10-15 homers and steals 40 bases a year. The problem is he's 30 years old.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:07 PM 06-12-2023
Name a player on the roster who has EXCEEDED expectations this year.

I'll wait.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 06:15 PM 06-12-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:

I'll wait.
I think Maikel Garcia has been pretty good, relatively speaking.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 06:17 PM 06-12-2023
Salvy is taking a beating this inning.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:29 PM 06-12-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:

I'll wait.
Taylor Clarke has been pretty good in the pen
[Reply]
dlphg9 06:44 PM 06-12-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Taylor Clarke has been pretty good in the pen
Neat a 30 yr old relief pitcher lol.
[Reply]
Page 162 of 333
« First < 62112152158159160161162 163164165166172212262 > Last »
Up